Skiing in Victoria

#Snownami for the Vic and NSW Alps starting this Saturday.

If you do it once a year then the extra expense is worth it.

Do not want to waste a second out there.

I would say Hotham is probably the best bet then. Plenty of places along the village chair that are ski in ski out or up around big d if it’s a family trip… Or just save the cash and go to Japan.

Love Hotham. But not a place for beginners or low intermediates.

I would say Hotham is probably the best bet then. Plenty of places along the village chair that are ski in ski out or up around big d if it’s a family trip… Or just save the cash and go to Japan.

I learnt how to ski there, found it fine, just a lot of zig zagging haha.

So did I.
But it does scare the ■■■■ out a lot of less experienced skiers.
The terrain is heavily weighted to high intermediate to advanced skiers.
On the flip side, Falls is terrific for those starting out, but pretty boring if you’re good on skis or on a board.
Buller covers both ends of the spectrum - but struggles to get the snow of the other two.

So did I.
But it does scare the ■■■■ out a lot of less experienced skiers.
The terrain is heavily weighted to high intermediate to advanced skiers.
On the flip side, Falls is terrific for those starting out, but pretty boring if you’re good on skis or on a board.
Buller covers both ends of the spectrum - but struggles to get the snow of the other two.
theres a bit where it goes beginner to intermediate when you hang a left, but if you go straight its in a mogul black run i think. first time i went down that surprised i made it alive.

Heading up to Mt Beauty tonight for three days on the hill at Falls. Just checked the BOM forecast - snow every day this week, sunshine for the next three days and then more snow after that. Woot!

My kids have been driving me mad all week “Are we going to the snow today, dad?”, “When are we going to the snow, dad?”. Can’t wait to dump in the ski school and have three whole days boarding to myself (wifey doing the day spa/relax in the village thing). Win-win!

Hmm, maybe I should have siad “Can’t wait to dump them in the ski school”, rather than “Can’t wait to dump in the ski school”. Still, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go…

How does the job like you heading up there, FGtM?

I had a vague impression at one point the services don’t like you doing stuff that might break your legs etc unless you’re doing it under their auspices ?

Heading up to Mt Beauty tonight for three days on the hill at Falls. Just checked the BOM forecast - snow every day this week, sunshine for the next three days and then more snow after that. Woot!

My kids have been driving me mad all week “Are we going to the snow today, dad?”, “When are we going to the snow, dad?”. Can’t wait to dump in the ski school and have three whole days boarding to myself (wifey doing the day spa/relax in the village thing). Win-win!

I envy you.
How does the job like you heading up there, FGtM?

I had a vague impression at one point the services don’t like you doing stuff that might break your legs etc unless you’re doing it under their auspices ?

No problem with it, but I know they took issue with guys on deployment in the middle east going to the indoor ski-run at the Mall of the Ememirates in Dubai before going home on mid-tour leave (they used to give you a few days in at the base outside Dubai to unwind, including a day-trip for shopping). Apparently a few people broke legs and what-not and caused a few problems for getting replacements at short notice.

I envy you.

Had three great days, lots of sunshine, a good covering of snow after last weeks storms and reasonable crowd numbers. The snow cover is not at the best I’ve seen it, but was enough for most of the runs to be open with only a few hazards exposed. Summit at Falls was open but pretty crappy as they can’t groom it and there wasn’t enough snow to make it worthwhile and the Maze off to the right of Summit was fully closed. All the snow on the north side of the mountain was softening up pretty quickly and getting very slushy by the afternoon, particularly in the green/family areas. Pick of the runs was Ruined Castle and Scotts. Both well groomed with a good cover of snow and little to no lift lines. Took a hike off the back of Ruined Castle and did some runs in the back-country bowls, which was worthwhile given the conditions. The kids had a great time in the ski-club for the 4 year-old and junior workshop for the 7 year-old, also pretty cool to spend yesterday afternoon scooting down Drovers Dream and Wombat Ramble watching my 7 year-old son fearlessly flying along. And I managed to refrain from pooping in the ski school after all.

Go-Pro cameras. This year’s accessory of choice. Have seen them in use over the past couple of years, but this year they are everywhere. Even kids as young as 5 were wearing them. Helmet-mounted, on a pole, chest harness, or just being held, it seems everyone wants to film themsleves or their mates. After watching my own kids scooting along, I can understand why. Some very not-so-subtle hints being dropped to my wife about what she can get me for a birthday present when she does some shopping in Dubai in a flight stopover later in the year…

FGTM’s safety tip number 1 - wear a freakin’ helmet. I’ve been wearing one for about ten years (since before they were cool here in Aus, even though everyone was wearing them all the time overseas). Saw two horrible crashes over the weekend - one where a beginner skier ended up hitting a tree at a speed that would probably have killed her if not for a helmet, and the second one (by far the most horrible) was a guy in the carpark who slipped over walking on black ice, landed flat on his back with his head hitting the ground and instantly going into a seizure and frothing at the mouth. He was convulsing for about 3-4 minutes and looked terrible. Ski patrol and an ambulance took him away and we heard later that he had been sitting up talking when they took him to Albury hospital for observation. This happened right in front of my family and my kids were terrified. A helmet costs about $100 (or just hire one for fark all), and it will save your life. It doesn’t matter how awesome a skier or boarder you are, there’s always some other half-wit on the mountain who might plow into you when you least expect it.

But, at least you can’t get attacked by a shark when your skiing or boarding…

And going back again in two weeks.

The only issue I have with Go-Pros is that I was hit last year by a boarder who was too busy looking at the camera at the end of the stick to pay attention to where he was going. Obviously that’s just one idiot but imo sticking one on your helmet, where it isn’t a distraction, is the best option.

I’d also add that a good helmet keeps your head nice and warm, as well as safe. We picked up a few $150+ helmets from a warehouse type sale a few years ago for $40 each, and they’re super comfortable.

I ■■■■■■■ hate those race club ■■■■■, cut you off like its no ones ■■■■■■■ business. at least ski school kids have no ■■■■■■■ idea what they’re doing.

Good snow bearing system coming through this weekend.
To get you in the mood :wink:
(much better than the Hansi original)

Good snow bearing system coming through this weekend. To get you in the mood ;) (much better than the Hansi original)

https://youtu.be/ynrt1MQUFLg

I couldn’t tell if that was a ■■■■ take, such is my regard for douche bag skiers like that. Looks like dermie too, so must be a ****.

As an alternative…
For what u pay to ski in the vic alps for a week, spring a little extra and go to Vancouver. local mountains have true night skiing, (IE all runs open), and its less than $70/day-u can get discount coupons as well from save-on supermarkets and the like. Plus there is usually bugger all lift line-ups.
Last time I skied cypress bowl, 4 hours on piste, max line wait 2 1/2 minutes.
And our exchange rate is pretty good with the canucks right now.
Plus u are in one of gods great cities, and only 1 1/2 hours from the mecca that is Whistler/Blackcomb.

I couldn't tell if that was a ■■■■ take, such is my regard for douche bag skiers like that. Looks like dermie too, so must be a ****.

We’ll yes it is a pisstake dubbed over the horrible Hansi original. Ghastly.

Heading back up to Mt Beauty straight after work today and then the next three days at Falls and Hotham. Will probably be my last trip fior this year. The upside of going straight from work is about 1 hour less travel and I’m going Han Solo for the weekend. No kids, no wife, no worries. 3 Days of snowboarding at my own leisure. Sweeeeeet.

I envy you.