Small Forwards

I'd been a big fan of Josh Bench's up until last years' draft. I heard that he has played extremely well this year for the Williamstown seconds and was promoted to their VFL side for a few games. Has anyone else seen him play this year?

NB: I have never met him and we are not related.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o29h28hZJbw

a small forward is a player who can create goals from only half chances.

can create space where there is none.

can be an avenue to goal when all standard avenues are closed.

We need to stop ■■■■■■■ around and get a player than can do all of the above.

I guess the positive is that decent small forwards can usually be found later in the draft

I actually liked what I saw from Merrett up forward and think we have sonethings to work with there. Also if we are able to add more depth to our midfield then it’d allow zaka to maybe rotate more minutes through the forward line where he can be very dangerous. Only thing is that his run through the midfield is important

I guess the positive is that decent small forwards can usually be found later in the draft
I actually liked what I saw from Merrett up forward and think we have sonethings to work with there. Also if we are able to add more depth to our midfield then it'd allow zaka to maybe rotate more minutes through the forward line where he can be very dangerous. Only thing is that his run through the midfield is important

Jacko has the chops but he's a HFF who'll be pushing up to the wing when he puts on some size. Not a small forward by definition.

Does anyone know anything about Josh Mellington from Freo. I read somewhere today that he is keen to leave as he opportunities are limited given he is behind Walters and Ballantyne. He is from Benalla so is a Victorian kid and was originally drafted with pick 56 in 2010. He has managed 6 games over 3 seasons, but 2012 was hampered by a serious hamstring injury (he would at least have a conversation starter with 75% of our list). 

He is listed at 84kg and 185cm. 

WAFL watchers any idea how he performed this year?

Bump. Apparently he now wants a trade back to Vic. 

Also, apologies Redbull - I posted pretty much the same thing without reading the thread first - sorry. I didn't see the article you mentioned, but I did notice him in Freo's game against St Kilda, thought he played really well. Seemed like he had some mongrel to him too. 

According to his stats, he averaged 17 touches and kicked 34 goals in 20 games for West Perth (WAFL premiers) this year. Had 37 tackles too. 

Calling all WA Blitzers... 

Mellington? Let's get him and everyone else cause they are in the paper.

Mellington? Let's get him and everyone else cause they are in the paper.

Sigh.  

Read the posts again. I was asking for anyone with more knowledge of him to give their views, given the little I've seen him play. Pretty much exactly what Redbull did too. 

He's asked for a trade back to Victoria (hence why his name's in the paper) and he (notionally at least) fits a hole we think we have in the list, so I reckon he's worth at least raising.

If you think otherwise, feel free to share why.  

I'd been a big fan of Josh Bench's up until last years' draft. I heard that he has played extremely well this year for the Williamstown seconds and was promoted to their VFL side for a few games. Has anyone else seen him play this year?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o29h28hZJbw

Looks like he can play a bit 

What about Ian Callinan? Even though he turns 31 next year, he kicked 39 goals from 23 games last season. Seems durable and possibly a safer option than going for Chapman.

Quoting nightmare off big footy. This bloke sounds about right and could be available around pick 22-26. Id like to use our first pick on a small forward. Nm has him going at pick #25

#25 North Melbourne – Jay Kennedy-Harris (VIC – Fwd/Mid)Height: 173cm, Weight: 68kg, DOB: 21/03/1995

Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers

Style:

Player comparison: Andrew Krakouer

Range: 15-35

Profile: Small forward who has shown this year that he also has the ability to push up through the midfield and find the footy easily and be an effective two way player with his tackling particularly impressive. Kennedy-Harris‘ point of difference is in his ability to sidestep with numbers around him and generate time and space for himself easily to be able to dispose of the ball effectively. Also has above average straight-line pace to go with his ability allowing him to break away from congestion at times. Regardless of this improved midfield ability my vision with Kennedy-Harris is as a forward first who can rotate into the midfield as required. Kennedy-Harris is as natural a crumbing forward as you‘ll ever see. He gets to the right positions consistently and knows where to position himself to get those balls that come to ground. One touch with all his touches and a clean user of the footy. Excellent finisher around goal and a guy who could fit into a forwardline pretty easily.

Very impressive

Has anyone kept much of an eye on Tapscott since he was drafted. I don't watch Dees games so I don't know. Back when he was drafted he was supposed to be a bit of gun mid sized forward. In my mind a Monfries type, which we are probably in need of.

I’m not a believer in small forwards like others here, they might win you a few games through the year but rarely do they do anything in finals.

I would rather have more rotating mids down there who lead hard and have a bit if zip. Yes they lack the sublime crumbling and freak goals. But they work hard, apply pressure and can do more than rack up 10 meaningless possies and a goal a game.

The last small forward to tear a final apart I can remember was Darren Jarrman and he is one if the smartest footballers in history. Add to that he spent most of his career as a mid.

I would rather have Merret, Kommer, NOB, Winderlich running through there and rotating to the midfield.

Jetta should be moved to the midfield or BP and Davey may struggle to get a game next year.

I'm not a believer in small forwards like others here, they might win you a few games through the year but rarely do they do anything in finals.
I would rather have more rotating mids down there who lead hard and have a bit if zip. Yes they lack the sublime crumbling and freak goals. But they work hard, apply pressure and can do more than rack up 10 meaningless possies and a goal a game.
The last small forward to tear a final apart I can remember was Darren Jarrman and he is one if the smartest footballers in history. Add to that he spent most of his career as a mid.
I would rather have Merret, Kommer, NOB, Winderlich running through there and rotating to the midfield.
Jetta should be moved to the midfield or BP and Davey may struggle to get a game next year.

What about Stevie J winning a norm smith (he also kicked 4 in this year's prelim)? Chappy was dominant in the semi against Port with four goals, Wingard in Port's win against Collingwood...

I'm not a believer in small forwards like others here, they might win you a few games through the year but rarely do they do anything in finals.

My god Darren Jarman was good

Its funny. That GF etched Jarman's reputation in history and certainly lifted it too.

Before he did that I would never have believed he was capable of it.

To me he was flashy and unbelievably skilled but I always thought of him as a bit of soft ■■■■ and generally aloof from his teammates. Someone that might go missing when it got really hard. He single handily delivered Adelaide that flag though. Credit to him.

Has Darren Bewick got any sons ready to play?

More to the point is Darren Bewick ready to play? Even at 46 years of age there's a fair chance he would have a similar output to what Leroy produced this year. :(

More to the point is Darren Bewick ready to play? Even at 46 years of age there's a fair chance he would have a similar output to what Leroy produced this year. :(

Harsh, but not entirely unfair.

Has anyone kept much of an eye on Tapscott since he was drafted. I don't watch Dees games so I don't know. Back when he was drafted he was supposed to be a bit of gun mid sized forward. In my mind a Monfries type, which we are probably in need of.

From memory was mostly played back initially and was tried as the designated kick in at times. Had some niggles and was in/out if the side of late, played forward in the VFL and kicked a few bags this year (or last??). Looked promising but would have been tough at such a farked up club. Would definately be worth a look