Small Forwards

Would love Varcoe. Only 25, and is a gun when in full confidence (which he wasn't this year).
Wouldn't be surprised if Gumby goes to Geelong for Varcoe.

He's played over 100 games, but not many of them have been good ones. This season he only kicked 8 goals from 14 games. He had a decent season in 2010.
Can't possibly think why he would've been a touch down this year after a year and a half out.
Can play, would be a very good get. Better defensive work than Davey, gets us more outside run up around the midfield - even if he doesn't kick *that* many goals he certainly helps get it down there & traps it in.
Meh... I don't reckon he's much chop, or ever has been. He's been trading on potential for a long time now. Yes, he missed a fair bit of footy (not a year and half though), but he played VFL and even AFL late last year, had a full pre-season, and still produced some pretty ordinary footy. His career and output is very similar to Jetta.
Very different players on the field though. Demands the ball, rarely coasts and hits with a fair bit of force

I thought he played a very 'outside' game. He looks a million bucks with the way he covers the ground, but I don't recall him hitting anyone or anything with any force. He does play with a bit more confidence than Jetta though.

Would love Varcoe. Only 25, and is a gun when in full confidence (which he wasn't this year).
Wouldn't be surprised if Gumby goes to Geelong for Varcoe.

He's played over 100 games, but not many of them have been good ones. This season he only kicked 8 goals from 14 games. He had a decent season in 2010.
Can't possibly think why he would've been a touch down this year after a year and a half out.
Can play, would be a very good get. Better defensive work than Davey, gets us more outside run up around the midfield - even if he doesn't kick *that* many goals he certainly helps get it down there & traps it in.
Meh... I don't reckon he's much chop, or ever has been. He's been trading on potential for a long time now. Yes, he missed a fair bit of footy (not a year and half though), but he played VFL and even AFL late last year, had a full pre-season, and still produced some pretty ordinary footy. His career and output is very similar to Jetta.
Very different players on the field though. Demands the ball, rarely coasts and hits with a fair bit of force
I thought he played a very 'outside' game. He looks a million bucks with the way he covers the ground, but I don't recall him hitting anyone or anything with any force. He does play with a bit more confidence than Jetta though.
Very strong tackler. He's actually got some size & strength to him and has the urgency - both ways - that Jetta lacks (maybe it's confidence, but whatever it is he doesn't have it). I'd agree he's pretty outside, with the ball - but not really soft. But I think that's something we probably lack a bit, probably more than we need a really deep (Betts/Dell style) small forward

I will say this about Varcoe, a lot of people including the man himself think he played better footy under Bomber

I will say this about Varcoe, a lot of people including the man himself think he played better footy under Bomber

Had a lot of injury issues this year.
I recon he's a fantastic pick up. Would add plenty of run to the team. A few of my cats mates rate him very highly.

Would love Varcoe, but doubt he's in play. 

Freo have a lot of small forwards it seems. There's a Victorian kid called Josh Mellington who is only about 20 and probably has to sit behind Ballantyne and Walters, but he played some pretty impressive footy in 2012 (before injuries I think) and then played in round 23 against the Saints and had it a fair bit. The WA blitzers could probably tell us more about him, but he seemed pretty tough and skillful, and I think I remember him kicking a few against the Cats in a game in early 2012.  

If Jetta's going, I would assume he's heading to WA, and presumably Freo. Mellington might be a bloke we could look at, although I doubt a straight swap would be all we'd want. 

I really liked Josh Cauchi at Calder in the game I saw him play. Natural small fwd, All be it fricken tiny at around 170. Someone will take him at the draft and he WILL be good!

Would love Varcoe, but doubt he's in play. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the table. Christensen, Motlop and Stokes have all gone past him, so it's not like the Cats have a deficiency in that area. Saying that, I've got no idea what his contract status is, what the Cats think of him, or whether he has any inclination to leave.

Isn’t Varcoe that bloke who choked in the prelim?

Varcoe more suited as midfielder than forward I would have thought.

I really liked Josh Cauchi at Calder in the game I saw him play. Natural small fwd, All be it fricken tiny at around 170. Someone will take him at the draft and he WILL be good!

Won't be taken.  Too small and too light.  There's a few like that every year.  Anastasio was  in exactly the same boat last year.  Gun players but just haven't got the body size for AFL sadly.

Isn't Varcoe that bloke who choked in the prelim?

That's the bloke

Garlett might be the one that got away as small forward for us....

He has dropped 12 kg's since start of the year, has not had a drink in nearly a month....and when did was with the Swans footy club and home by no later than 1am, so he says.

Skin folds from 68mm to 53mm along with improved 20mtr sprint time and agility on last year.....

That's the bloke

wouldn't say choked, he did miss on the run from 30, but so had many others. He blitzed the first half in the GF against Maggies in 2011, kicked Leon Neon's butt that day. As mentioned injuries last year. I wouldn't be against it, we need some outside speed!

Won't be taken.  Too small and too light.  There's a few like that every year.  Anastasio was  in exactly the same boat last year.  Gun players but just haven't got the body size for AFL sadly.

So a Rhys Magin style build as opposed to Milne (who was slightly bigger)?

That's a crying shame HM.

Cauchi was really impressive in the TAC prelim. 

I did read somewhere that he'd kicked 6 in the 1st of the season.

Has class coming out his ■■■■.

Maybe he'll have a growth spurt before November?

Surely, there is something we can give him in our drug dungeon?

That's the bloke

Wow, pretty rough. He'd have to be thinking getting the ■■■■ has something to do with that miss. Sure it doesn't but still.

So a Rhys Magin style build as opposed to Milne (who was slightly bigger)?

283449.jpg

There is SOME meat on dem bones. Not quite Magin-esque.

Unless we suddenly uncover a 40 to 50 goal a year small fwd I would think we will be best served by rolling licka, melk, Howlett, zaha, colyer and Merritt through there

Unless we suddenly uncover a 40 to 50 goal a year small fwd I would think we will be best served by rolling licka, melk, Hewlett, zaha, colyer and Merritt through there

Watch "the Ham" carve it up in 2014

Unless we suddenly uncover a 40 to 50 goal a year small fwd I would think we will be best served by rolling licka, melk, Hewlett, zaha, colyer and Merritt through there

Watch "the Ham" carve it up in 2014

Hardingham? Kicking the ball through the 2 middle sticks? LOL!