Socks Up ⏫

I suspect Archie Perkins would pull his socks down JUST BECAUSE.

1 Like

Pulling ones socks up are benefical to a player who is out of breath and needs a few seconds of recovery time…pantinghose are useful…

So you can have some kind of pre-kick ritual when having a set shot?

Personally I think we should be talking about long sleeves.

Did Brad Plain wear long sleeves just so his Mum couldn’t see his tatts?

1 Like

images (1)

Hercules

4 Likes

Do they actually wear short socks, or do they just not pull them up? Wasn’t there an issue a few years ago because players were cutting them?

Yeah I remember Nathan Brown turning his into ankle socks and the AFL telling him it isn’t on.

Socks are much better than they used to be. Not sure why they need to be super long though

HIS SOCKS, HIS SOCKS!

It’s already been said, … Identification, particularly at ground (grass) level.

1 Like

I know this has been used as a reason, I just don’t think it is accurate or valid.
The eyes still need to come up to the intended target height which is waist to shoulders. And peripheral vision is a thing.

Why do players often put their mouth guard in their sock when having a shot for goal?

What if they get called to play on and the mouth guard falls out?

Am I to assume you’ve never played the Game then?? :thinking:

That assumption you have made is not an accurate one

Never at any stage have I identified a team mate by their socks

Can say not once in my career was I told to look at the blokes socks.

And I only turned the footy over every 3rd possession.

edit, but then most of my footy has taken place in the crew sock era.

I didn’t make it,… I asked if I should.

If so, then you should know.

Anyway, these days they probs don’t need to be as long as they are, as long as they are a different (& solid) colour.

Mattered more they were long in the muddy days of yore

The boys can wear these.

3 Likes

I have those in hot pink!

2 Likes

Yes I have played the game plenty. But more specifically in a targeting sense, you still place eyes on intended target for confirmation when the target is visible. In this case the millisecond lost by flicking the eyes up to your target is not long enough to justify using socks alone to ID a target.

Peripheral vision is more likely than specific identification via socks.

But anyways…socks. I’m meh on them

AFLW players have to be careful to keep their socks nice and clean, lest nasty people in the crowd yell out “Look at those dirty hose”.