Something doesn’t add up

I asked for a DM yesterday. I’m sure a few did, but I haven’t received one.

1 Like

Btw, there is some data to suggest there may be some indigenous ancestory in a few guys that didn’t identify pre draft. There is indigenous family called thatcher south south of Adelaide from Tailem Bend which is close to Murray Bridge on the record where Brandon is from, I’m waiting back on info to see if he is related.

So our numbers could have improved

Thread is like two people yelling to each other via a message in a bottle.

Turning into a classic Blitz/Internet discussion, when it deserves so much more.

The figures Benfti are posting are an embarrassing indictment on our club, so I just want to encourage you to keep up your excellent work. I really hope it leads to fruition in positive change at our club.

Especially given Woosha’s game plan revolves around pace, so given the plethora of indigenous talent who have this in spades, you would expect that % would be much higher.

And for the nay-sayers… don’t we have enough vanilla plodders in our list?

1 Like

Yeah, we need more “excitement machines”.

Just another example of extreme binarism.

Not wanting to get too detailed, but what is the definition of Indigenous, a certain % of genetics, or a “desire” to be recognised as such , or some other criteria?

1 Like

To be honest I’m still jaded from when we picked Myers over Cyril. If we’d picked Dangerfield I might feel differently.

1 Like

Sorry Ben, didn’t mean to stir up such a drama.

I went back and looked (and yes I used footy wire), and counted 5 in the period, Atkinson, Long, Long, Eades, Walla.

I was confused because I figured your numbers were right so I counted back all “draft” picks to 2007 to see if I was using the same period (and whether Atkinson should be counted). I got 93 which matched your number. I figured that would be an odd coincidence if you hadn’t used the 2007-2017 dataset. I noticed Rayner in my counting, hence why I figured you were including cat B.

I wasn’t trying to dispute your numbers, just trying to understand your dataset so that I could contribute in a meaningful way. I couldn’t comprehend you getting 4 vs 5 “wrong” (I was ignoring Lavender), so I was wondering what you were using. My 5.7%, or whatever it was, was intended to demonstrate the variability in the numbers rather than anything else. We’re talking small numbers overall. I expect that Essendon wouldn’t be “significantly” different from the rest, but with a sample size of 18 it’s challenging to draw meaningful conclusions. I’d love to know what sort of statistical methods are most appropriate with that sort of sample size.

Anyway, I’d love to read this when it comes out. I think it would be really interesting.

(And fwiw I feel there is a problem, and as well as not contributing our share to fixing a societal problem, it’s also costing us wins)

(Sort of unrelated, but does Essendon have a “Reconciliation Action Plan”? And are such things generally considered worthwhile?)

2 Likes

Look, that’s largely because I’m getting hammered on here and trying to reply to about 10 requests at one, looking at an excel spread on an iPad that doesn’t have excel, all while trying to build a level on roblox for my son.

So I can wear that, what I’m looking at is a lot more succinct than what I’m posting

1 Like

You might want to be a little more careful with your terminology when you post in a thread that has to do with race.

1 Like

All good, we used 1/4

Yeah fair enough, picks or quasi picks as it were , also counted when a club added a player as traded pre election, and a pick where a club decided to pass and go into seasons with lists lower than 44. We decided that these even though were largely due to financial reasons were essentially a potential spot that could have been filled

Were I’ve probably run into trouble with a few here when I was using the term picks, the data im drawing on is more about list spot traffic rather than picks. Each year has a potential employment market. Again, it has to be an open list spot that was filled by a new opportunity candidate for it to count.

I think you counting footywire around 93 is just a coincidence, we had 93 potential list movements before in my first data set that didn’t include this years draft and the second data set didn’t include the 2007 draft in lieu of the 2017 as it was set up for season 2008 to 2018 that data set is where the 3. Something percent came from originally as it didn’t include Atkinson and our list movement number was around 102 it also was assuming we were taking 2 rookies and no official clarification on Jake longs senior list status. (Side not:I still feel like we are going in one spot unfilled???)

We produced 2 data sets anticipating if we were successful in publication we would immediately have to add a revision factoring this draft class.

Does that make sense, I’m doing this on my phone while watching the member forum

2 Likes

People assuming that everything is ok because it’s 1% better when you add or take away a certain player is really missing the point

We are around half at best of the league average club on club no matter what data set you draw on.

But my major issue when I started the thread was more about me not liking us promoting how good we are in this area when compared to most of the other clubs we are not. This season we are equal bottom, but in the last 10 years/seasons we are the worst.

Catherine has mentioned the club is hoping to address this thought the NGA so it’s not as if it’s news.

8 Likes

@Riolio wheres the blitzcast exclusive?

Thanks Ben. Makes sense (as much as possible given you’re trying to explain to me in a forum!)

As for the sidenote. I said elsewhere in one of these threads, how is “pass” lower risk than a guy playing SANFL seniors.

It makes no sense to me. (And I didn’t even think you were allowed to go in short due to the collective bargaining agreement).

And back to your point. If we want to be an active leader it is critical that we have policies in place that actively work against the inherent disadvantage. As it is whatever policies we have in place seem to be entrenching disadvantage. That’s not the way to be a leader in the area.

1 Like

Inspired by an earlier post about a correlation between having more Indigenous players & having more success I’ve gone back & had a good look at our most recent successful sides & the contrasts are staggering & damning. To put it simply - WE NEED MORE WOGS!!! We used to have Mercuri, Misiti, Calthorpe, Carracella, Alessio, Olarenshaw & Rama. These days we’ve only got Raz & Zaka. Is there a conspiracy? Does Dodoro hate his own heritage? Are we rating wogboys too harshly afraid that they will run off to join the mafia or that they won’t be able to resist the lure of Nona’s pasta & cannoli’s? Finally I see why we didn’t draft Puopolo

Seriously, if you did the maths, you’d probably find there’s just as much data to support the belief that we are deliberately overlooking Italians in the draft.

BTW - I realise not all those guys are Italian & I hope people can see I used the term wogs in jest not to cause offence.

11 Likes

Yeah that’s the big one, recently, let’s say the last 5-6 years I truely believe this issue is linked to how we measure players and by association a lot of indigenous players unfortunately. Not specifically to race just that eligible kids didn’t meet either positional requirements or school prefect character requirements. Before that, we’ll that’s another story. I’m hoping to share that. it involves certain people who are no longer at the club in any offical capacity. I don’t want to break peoples confidence and that’s why I have not put it all out until I get a green light. I got about 20 people wanting a DM so at that stage I thought I should just check if I can go live with it as it were.

Btw I resent to sentiment that Gach was high risk, sure he f—d up but given the Dandenong Stingrays are my alma mater, everyone down there said he was a great kid who came from an excellent family, and frankly they had 3 years with him and I’d trust their judgment over his 1 year at the club.

Btw his brother Biggie is playing with and got ng to school with my godson, so I’ve got a pretty good read on what his family and background are.

3 Likes

is the person you have it in for Paul Hamilton?

Don’t know much about Brandon’s family background but Murray Bridge has a very high proportion of indigenous folk

1 Like

Correct me if I read some of this wrong… But…

In the last 10 years we’ve had 4 different senior coaches (as well as other staff), all of who have accepted ‘The Clubs’ unwritten mandate of not drafting aboriginals. Leaving us with a record that puts Collingwood’s Athletic Apartheid period in the 90’s to shame.

Is there some sort of quota?