Something doesn’t add up

there were 3 indigenous players taken during the rookie draft (cam ellis yoelman is one)? if your main issue is our rookie selection then id say your argument falls flat on its face

2 Likes

No it’s in general, and I’m not the only only one with this view, a few others are really starting to see what’s going on here

1 Like

You mean apart from the fact most of them aren’t good enough?

3 Likes

Who?

Hang in there benfi.

1 Like

All the players we don’t pick.

I’m all for picking up Indigenous players btw, but not just for the sake of it.

3 Likes

There are plenty of players we don’t pick who end up good players

Why do they have to be drafted?

We’ve brought in Lavender, Shuanye and Mark Williams as trades. We had stokes as a top up. It’s weird logic to exclude half the players to make a point.

I’d happily have more though.

1 Like

That doesn’t make your case for you very well.

1 Like

I don’t understand. Are we implying the club is racist? Surely that’s a bit silly…

2 Likes

Ok, the point that guys like myself @Humble_Minion @jonovdp are trying to make is that we do not want to bring in indigenous talent unless they come from a family we have an existing relationship with or are already settled within the AFL system. This is about drafting practice which may differ from overall club position

5 Likes

Yeah that makes sense. Trading for a known quantity isn’t the same risk as an undrafted kid.

This talk of the Tiwi, West Ahnem NGA is great, but again is creating a heavily controlled environment in which we would potentially bring players into our club, and it is only one extreemly small pocket of the community.

2 Likes

i counted like 7 or 8 indigenous players drafted in the main draft, another 3-4 in the rookie draft, 2 or 3 of which are recycled players, so thats likem 8-10 total out of approx 140 picks, not even 10% of total players, so the two on our list is nearly at parity with what the rest of the league is bringing in?

did that just very quickly, happy to be shown to be wrong, but if you do believe there is an underepresentation then its unfair to say it is an essendon thing, its a league thing

And citing Yestin Eades as the case study of going against that code of practice being a bust is… convenient

It also actually happened though, so…??

2 Likes

that’s actually pretty standard for the number of indigenous players brought into the afl system each year, and tbh with the impending academy’s it’s actualky a little higher than I expected.

Exactly

You know what, starting a thread to discuss something that apparently only a couple of you allegedly know about to say you think the club has an issue isn’t really the right way to go about it.

If you have serious concerns then instead go to the club and have a meeting with them to get a better sense of what is going on. Better yet see if you can speak with someone like Long who can go to Sheedy and ask what is going on.

Having a thread where you sort of say things then don’t say them then say other things is hardly going to make a difference other than make you look like a conspiracy nut.

Also to me it is perfectly fine to setup the Tiwi Island arena to be a feeder for your club. The players want to play for us, they have strong support to do so and we can control their development.

Sounds almost like an academy set up.

16 Likes