Something doesn’t add up

Anyway, back to the topic

According to census, 3.3% of Australians are indigenous.

Essendons indigenous percentage is 4.5%.

What’s the problem?

My take is similar. We’ve had lots of indigenous players in the past. We don’t have a lot at the moment.

Big deal. I don’t doubt that sometime in the not too distant future we’ll have more.

Is there any reason at all to think that the club is operating some sort of anti-indigenous policy?

None whatsoever.

2 Likes

Well the average per club is 10%

It’s ok for us to be below that.

But we spend a lot of time talking up us being a champion of indigenous opportunity, When we really haven’t given anyone an opportunity in ages.

A lot of us go into great detail about why we think this is earlier in the thread.

Essentially we have gone from industry leader to cellar dweller in 10 years.

Except we still talk like we are to top of the crop.

It’s actually a microcosm of our football club.

We talk like the club like 2000 was 3 years ago. When in reality we have been ■■■■ for years.

4 Likes

It’s not that, again we go into it more earlier.

The consensus was that we believed that our recruiting policy of what we look for in players aside from footy, doesn’t lend itself to kids from remote communities. We like lads from good schools, with solid off field achievement. The leadership type.

Out of interest, how many indigenous players are expected to be picked up in the national draft?

Usually is around 8-10 each year across both drafts. Every club but us averages 1 every 2.5 drafts

Edit. It’s harder to gauge now because of the academies

Oh, we’re doing affirmative action now.
We pick the players we want to take.
What colour their skin is doesn’t come into at all.
Well, from the recruiters and club point off view.

1 Like

I’ll make the prediction that we will see a change at this years draft.

How many aboriginals do we have at the moment? 2? Any decent ones late in the draft this year?

Just the National draft.
Feel free to be a little lenient.

You mean we’ll pick up a couple of benfti specials?

I’m hoping for a couple of small forward / outside runner types…so that probably helps the chances.

Long
Tippa
Lavender
Zerk Thatcher (I’m pretty sure)

The broader point is what are we missing out on if we have such restrictive profiling?

If we are any good with our profiling, then we are missing out on kids who don’t have those characteristics.

WTF?

1 Like

We might be missing out on another Dean Dickk, Richard Peck, Shawn Lewfatt or Russell Williams.

Oh, ok, I’ve got about 9 kids I can see being picked nab. 3 of them will be late.

1 Like

So there will be 3 in the NAB, 3 rookies and 3 miss out completely :wink:

List is 45? (Including rookies) thats about 9%