Something Rotten in Denmark

Just blow the whole thing up. Then we don’t have to do conferences.

2 'conferences' 10 teams each Play twice 18 rounds Top 5 finals series 2 grand finals The 2 winners play off for 'champions of the colony'

Whatever,

anything would be better than just ‘add more teams to get more money’

without changing the structure of the comp significantly to keep up with the added teams it’s just ridiculous.

Conference A:
Essendon, Coll, Carl, Geel Haw Mel, Rich, SK, Footscray, NM

Conference B:
Syd x2, SA x2, QLD x2, WA x2, 2 others

Conference A could be called something like “VFL”, conference B could be called “allies” or something equally ridiculous that the AFL dreamed up.

There’s some serious Roy Masters channelling going on here. Like a re-run of the Offsiders on Sunday.

The Cardies should be in Div 1.

The 2nd Qld team should have been in FNQ.

They don’t mind AFL up there.

Two divisions of 16 teams Div 1 - top 16 from AFL Div 2 - bottom 2 from AFL plus Claremont, Subiaco, Norwood, Glenelg, Canberra (Eastlakes), NT Thunder, [North] Ballarat plus new teams in Hobart, Launceston, Cairns, Gippsland, Riverina/Albury, Northern Sydney/Newcastle, Southern Sydney/Wollongong/NSW South Coast

30 rounds (no NAB cup) plus finals

Top 2 & bottom 2 promoted/relegated

Two drafts - Div 1 teams plus the promoted teams, and then Div 2 plus relegated teams

Clubs with fk all fans (Dogs, North, St Kilda) get new small stadiums (Williams Landing, E-Gate, Junction Oval respectively). Carlton go back to Princes Park. Essendon keep Etihad for 11 games and pick 4 for the G. Demons/Hawks/Pies/Tigers get 9 at the G and 6 at Etihad.

It’s not a terrible idea, but there needs to be ~ 10x the money in the game for that. And if they finally bring that sort of money in from foreign countries I’d rather see one of the ■■■■■■ Melbourne clubs move to NZ and/or a league-wide reserves competition.

Wouldn't a fair draw be playing everyone twice? Home and away.

Well, yeah, but that makes it a 34 round home and away season, plus finals. Bit of a big ask.

I’d be very happy if they finally got rid of the nab challenge or whatever they call it these days and replace it with a couple of extra rounds of actual regular season games to help level out the draw a bit, but playing everyone twice just makes the season too long unfortunately.

Whilst I agree with you, lose or merge 2-3 sides, make listed 1-2 spots bigger, drop NAB cup, add a 2nd or 3rd bye and it becomes feasible pretty quickly.

Won’t happen obviously. Because why have a fair fixture in the highest most professional league of this “sport”?

Two divisions of 16 teams Div 1 - top 16 from AFL Div 2 - bottom 2 from AFL plus Claremont, Subiaco, Norwood, Glenelg, Canberra (Eastlakes), NT Thunder, [North] Ballarat plus new teams in Hobart, Launceston, Cairns, Gippsland, Riverina/Albury, Northern Sydney/Newcastle, Southern Sydney/Wollongong/NSW South Coast

Two drafts - Div 1 teams plus the promoted teams, and then Div 2 plus relegated teams

Clubs with fk all fans (Dogs, North, St Kilda) get new small stadiums (Williams Landing, E-Gate, Junction Oval respectively). Carlton go back to Princes Park. Essendon keep Etihad for 11 games and pick 4 for the G. Demons/Hawks/Pies/Tigers get 9 at the G and 6 at Etihad.

I’d fear for a few teams under that set-up, and can Ballarat afford trips to WA?
But by gosh it would stop tanking.
Not sure how you do a draft, either.

Also I've just recently had my first experience with NBA League Pass and wow how laughably behind is online streaming of AFL.
Apart from the game, what else does the NBA do that the AFL doesn't?

HD streaming that loads almost instantly. Wrapped in a not-actually-horrible app.

Also I have a current AFL subscription. You can’t watch it on the website, only on apps.

But you can’t watch streaming AFL on a television either! Oh no. Forbid a moving picture with sound be projected in the place of your choice when paying. Can’t airplay it to a TV. Same with the Foxtel Go app. Digital rights are the height of stupidity.

Actually i have an Apple device and just send it to my TV via Apple, good quality (no worse than 7).

Your eyes need checking. I’ve never seen afl streamed at close to even SD broadcast quality.

Maybe that’s more of a reflection of your access levels verses mine because I get a pretty decent stream.

My Dads tougher than your dad.

doubtful

Also I've just recently had my first experience with NBA League Pass and wow how laughably behind is online streaming of AFL.

HD streaming that loads almost instantly. Wrapped in a not-actually-horrible app.

Also I have a current AFL subscription. You can’t watch it on the website, only on apps.

But you can’t watch streaming AFL on a television either! Oh no. Forbid a moving picture with sound be projected in the place of your choice when paying. Can’t airplay it to a TV. Same with the Foxtel Go app. Digital rights are the height of stupidity.

Actually i have an Apple device and just send it to my TV via Apple, good quality (no worse than 7).

Your eyes need checking. I’ve never seen afl streamed at close to even SD broadcast quality.

Maybe that’s more of a reflection of your access levels verses mine because I get a pretty decent stream.

My Dads tougher than your dad.

Two divisions of 16 teams
Div 1 - top 16 from AFL
Div 2 - bottom 2 from AFL plus Claremont, Subiaco, Norwood, Glenelg, Canberra (Eastlakes), NT Thunder, [North] Ballarat plus new teams in Hobart, Launceston, Cairns, Gippsland, Riverina/Albury, Northern Sydney/Newcastle, Southern Sydney/Wollongong/NSW South Coast

14 team competition, everyone plays each other twice, home & away, totaling 26 games… They can then work out which 4 clubs go, but would have to include Norf… (please get rid of them once & for all!!!)

Yeah nah, you’d go a Southern Conf, & an Eastern one.

Soo WCE FREO ADEL PORT TAS, HAW MELB GEEL SAINTS NORF

BRIS GC GWS SYD ESS NT COLL RICH FUKCARL DOGS

And the Vic teams could swap year to year.

Also, because the AwFuL is looking for 22 - 23 rounds, there would be 3 or 4 rounds of crossover, perhaps the last 4 rounds where you play the teams in the other conference in a similar ladder position.

Needs some refinement, but it could work.

Swap the Dogs and Geelong/Hawthorn and you have the big clubs subsidizing the small ones in each division, I guess.
Could work, although as it stands you’ve got Essendon not playing Hawthorn during the year…minor quibble though.

2 'conferences' 10 teams each Play twice 18 rounds Top 5 finals series 2 grand finals The 2 winners play off for 'champions of the colony'

Whatever,

without changing the structure of the comp significantly to keep up with the added teams it’s just ridiculous.

I’d like to see this too, but the problem with two conferences is that one is inevitably going to be seen as Division 1.
Splitting up the Melbourne teams, keeping blockbusters and not diminishing the ‘other’ conference is challenge.
One conference has two WA teams and two Qld teams, the other has two SA teams and two NSW teams. Fine. Although you’ve stuffed the QLD/NSW rivalry already.
Now split up the Vic teams.

2 ‘conferences’
10 teams each
Play twice
18 rounds
Top 5 finals series
2 grand finals
The 2 winners play off for ‘champions of the colony’

Whatever,

Maybe if they made the cost of meat pies cheaper at the grounds people would be more inclined to attend games?

GC and GWS are 25-year projects for the AFL. Chalking them up as failures at this stage is like yelling at a toddler because they don't have a job.

yeah but have you seen “we need to talk about Kevin”?