Sorry Saga - “It’s actually quite funny people thinking they know more than they actually do”

US has a problem with Guatemalans entering via Mexico claiming refugee status. US has asked Mexico to control Guatemalan transit. Australian Embassy with responsibility for Guatemala is based in Mexico City, may be influenced by US/ Mexican policies to Guatemalan citizens possibly seeking refugee status.
Might be worth your while contacting your Federal MP, seeing the issue is so topical.

Thanks @bigallan. Will definitely try that, am back in Oz next week. :slightly_smiling_face:

the question that needs to be asked. Is how much or what other communication has he had with Dutton in the past.

If he feels comfortable enough to threaten Dutton with pulling their donations if they dont let the au pair in to the country…what did he threaten him with during the push for a royal commission…

We know he has form with his threat making…he did it during the saga numerous times

its his MO

6 Likes

That’s the thing. Questionable favours also put both parties at a disadvantage if they don’t keep quiet.

4 Likes

In response to Dutton’s claims of a dirt file on Labor requests for intervention on visas, Chris Bowen said “ Of course I did, that’s my job”.
Dutton fought tooth and nail to protect his au pair interventions. The AAT overruled the FOI refusal, but allowed for redaction of the documents in regard to the names of those seeking intervention and to whom the visas were granted.
It’s not new. Lisa Martin ( now with the Guardian) has been chasing this down for a year or so and Adam Bandt has asked questions in the House.

Those names have come from leaks which he claims are by disaffected Border Force people.
But now he seemingly intends to release the names connected to Labor interventions. He doesn’t get it.
Nor does he get that the purpose of those entering under tourist visas were rorting the system by delivering in house unqualified babysitters at minimal cost compared to the cost of day care by qualified staff. It’s a big business and the conditions attached to getting an online tourist visa (available for select countries) are a lot simpler than getting a working holiday visa.

7 Likes

I say we just interview everyone coming into Australia on border security.
That would definitely stamp this bad behaviour by Voldemort out.

“After the break…she says she knows someone in the AFL so the rules don’t apply- does she know someone in the AFL?”

12 Likes

and don’t forget the working with children police checks that one must have …unless the children they were looking after were in their 30-50’s

9 Likes

Gil and Jude Donnelly scheduled to appear at the Senate Committee public hearing on 5 September, along with a raft of public servants, including Pezzulo, Head of Home Affairs. Not clear whether it will be televised.

5 Likes

Thanks BA, can you keep us posted, if you find out?

Was in Lorne over the weekend, at the Lorne pub for dins on sat night and who is sitting behind us as loud and obnoxious as anything - yep fat vlad, get this though he was just with his family. Skyting about his properties in toorak bla bla at he top of his voice. Took all of the missus persuasion for me not to throw a pot at him… would have been a waste of furphy I guess! C#@t!

23 Likes

You guessed wrong.
Although maybe Gil would have called Voldemort and have you deported to NZ based on bad character. Regardless of your citizenship or origin.

All I know is that is an inquiry - about au pair decisions - under the auspices of the Senate Legal and Constitutional Affairs Reference Committee, hearing to be be held in the Main Committee Room from 9 -1445 , with AFL last cabs off the rank. I expect the resident Canberra journos to cover.
Louise Pratt ( WA ALP) is the Chair.

1 Like

Should have glassed him

1 Like

Yeah that’d be funny…

Was in Lorne over the weekend, at the Lorne pub for dins on sat night and who is sitting behind us as loud and obnoxious as anything - yep fat vlad, get this though he was just with his family. Skyting about his properties in toorak bla bla at he top of his voice. Took all of the missus persuasion for me not to throw a pot at him… would have been a waste of furphy I guess! C#@t!

Should have asked him about Acquire Learning lending him $1.6m and then giving him a bonus of $1.6m as it ripped of vulnerable students.

3 Likes

The ripping off being at the non-resident tax rates of course.

1 Like

The hearing can be accessed , through the Watch Read Listen Page on the APH site - aph.gov.au/

2 Likes

Hope Mr Pezzulo is an Essendon supporter!

Just looked up he is from Sydney so surely that helps.

Would love to see Gil charged over this. Then sacked from the AFL.

3 Likes

He’d get a huge payout- and who’s next in line?
Is it Hocking