Space

great point

that bit isn’t really highlighted when they discuss the stuff they observe

What’s happening in the space space?

Wait, why did no one ever tell me about this: the first photos of the “dark” side of the moon were taken by a Russian automated ship with a film camera (they stole the film from a US Air Force spy balloon), then developed in flight, then faxed back to Earth!

1 Like

That is indeed Damn Interesting :grinning:

Amazing how it was all put together, especially developing the film in space. Wow.

Didn’t you ever see Transformers 3?

and we couldn’t get one from Napier Street to Jolimont

1 Like

this is worth a look - very nice graphics

https://neal.fun/size-of-space/

Don’t know where this belongs, and don’t think it really lives up to the heading, but I guess it can go here

And that article reads a bit too much like a Musk press release…but whatever

Hmm looking at SpaceX jobs on the website. Every job says:

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:

• Must be willing to work long hours and weekends as needed.

Yeah, nah, I don’t think I’ll be looking to work for Elon on this one.

why does stuff like this never make the news?

yeah, not buying it

It’s the nAzis plotting their return. Iron sky style.

Just thought it was interesting, could well be a hoax.

:laughing: First they hit us with the virus and now the invasion!!

I Find the SpaceX stuff fascinating, even through the failures. The pace they are innovating, and creating new prototypes is way quicker than the older companies ever used to do. The first time they landed the launch rockets side by side simply blew my mind, engineering wise.

2 Likes

Actually I can explain that video. Me and a couple mates thought we would head down to the coast for a drink, and got lost. I knew I should of taken that left at Albuquerque…

2 Likes

The best part about these UFO sightings is the music that seems to accompany it

1 Like

It’s certainly interesting, but a fair bit of it is the media/salesman approach taken by Musk, which gets the media in, even when he’s selling something that is not “new” or when he’s selling an unfinished product as if it’s a massive step forward.

The “old companies” have certainly innovated at high rates at different times, and can do so, but a lot of their development work in the US has been classified, until it wasn’t.

I look forward to SpaceX continuing to develop stuff though, and continuing to provide a media presence to this sort of stuff. It’s great how the current generation is engaged in space and exploration, and have dreams of going to Mars, etc. SpaceX is definitely part of that (and NASA getting better at the sales pitch as well).

I just listened to the podcast Moonrise, and I can strongly recommend it to those interested in the moon landing. It’s by Lillian Cunningham, a journalist at the Washington Post. FYI - she did the Presidential series I mentioned in the US Politics thread.

It’s not about how we got to the moon, but WHY we decided to go. She speaks to current day historians on space but also politics - because the reason was highly political. She takes a big picture view and highlights the role science fiction writers played in this.

She has a very engaging style, and it makes for a very interesting story. I learnt a bit, in particular the prominent role of American president Lyndon B Johnson as a bigger supporter of the space program than JFK.

Well worth a listen.

1 Like

UFO’s hey?