Spec on changes/Pre-Match Discussion vs Gold Coast (3:20pm 26/3/23 @ Marvel)

Today’s result will get a pretty decent crowd to this one, I’m predicting. This fixture has averaged 27k since the Suns entered the AFL … think it could push 32-35k next week.

Suns have never beaten us away from home (0-6). It will happen at some point… hopefully not next week.

Post-match press conference confirmed no injuries from the game today but any predicted/necessary changes?

2 Likes

Tippa > VFL (get a full game), Mass in

Might also look at Phillips as an out for a small/medium player, GC only play 1 ruck? He’s a big boy though and runs all game.

Against the grain for most but I’d give Hepp another game. Last few years he’s taken a week or three to get going.

3 Likes

I hope it’s Hep out, Massimo in, but I don’t think it’ll happen.

The only other change I might like to see is Phillips out for Voss. Flip was fine today, but I we need to see what the young guys can do. Weid can backup ruck for now.

4 Likes

I’m okay to keep the dual rucks in for now. Witts is a beast. We should go at him with two proper rucks and then can have one resting tall forward which worked well today whilst Wright is out.

12 Likes

Reckon we’ll be unchanged outside the sub.

Guelfi > Tippa
Voss will be veryyyyy close but Phillips is good for team structure and I don’t think they pull the trigger in that just yet.

3 Likes

No changes for mine.

2 Likes

I would bring in Guelfi for Heppell, the selectors will probably go with an unchanged line-up.

2 Likes

Sounded like Guelfi didn’t do enough in the VFL to force his way in.

I reckon there won’t be any change.

OUT: NO ROOF
IN: ROOF

3 Likes

I really want Massimo in this team and now Langford is behind the ball, I don’t see the point of Dyson Heppell. He won’t be dropped yet, but this change would give us some better distribution by foot.

On a side note, I loved the way our team switched and overlapped, running into space and prioritising uncontested marks to kicking to contests. It’s similar to how the Pies play and it’s an enormous pivot from the style and structure of Worsfold and Rutten

11 Likes

Must reward good VFL form.
IN Baldwin, Mass, Snelling, Hobbs, Hind, Monty Burns Gomerie
OUT worst performers according to supercoach

3 Likes

In: VOSS
Out: Phillips

time to experiment with Weideman and Jones in the ruck.

3 Likes

phillips out for voss

hepp out for mass

tippa our for hobbs, guelf, or snelling

kelly zerk lav
mcgrath rids redman

martin parish langford
draper merrett setterfield

perkins weid davey
menzie voss jones

mass shiel durham caldwell - - hobbs

4 Likes

You’d better take Mass out of that list if you want to reward VFL form…

2022 VFL form counts too.

1 Like

Why would you change a winning team?
We need to build confidence and trust, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

5 Likes

OUT: Phillips Heppell Shiel

How is Stringer tracking?

Still a week away, going by the club’s injury update.

Hopefully comes back through the VFL.

1 Like

Phillips’ performance was the worst of our players, but him being in the team allowed Draper to go forward and have an impact, and whilst Bryan is just OK at VFL level you keep the experienced body in Phillips in to break even with Witts. Witts would destroy Bryan, meaning Draper couldn’t go forward if we drop Phillips. So he stays in.

Only change for me would be Heppell for Massimo but that won’t happen so it’ll be no changes for mine.

9 Likes