Speculation about changes for Dream Time v The Tigs

One key step in making the Tigers our rug.
Combating their midfield & pressure game.

Richmond plays a very different game style to teams like Geelong & Sydney, and even Collingwood or GWS.
They very deliberately aim to keep the loose/ contested ball moving towards their goal. A lot of the time they don’t even bother to take possession, relying on taps, knock ons, and soccers off the ground. This allows their players to swarm forward, even slightly ahead of the ball, in the pack. Similarly a couple of players will maintain positions slightly wider, but parallel with the moving ball. They have only one or two players stationed defensively at the back of packs / behind the ball.
This wave of attackers is a key to their pressure on defensive players- the defence is relatively flat footed waiting for the ball to arrive, and the standard backwards handball ( which usually buys time & space for a clearing kick) is nullified by the three or four swarming Tigers.

They actually do a similar thing defending an attacking loose ball, but in reverse- they run past the ball to cover that side of the pack.

So what does this mean?
We need to change the direction of the ball movement.
Even a wild handball, a soccer, or a punch that takes the ball back into, or over, the pack seriously disrupts their game plan.
This opens up the contested play, they’re out of position, and there’s space for opponents to run clear. One reason why the Dogs gave them problems- the Dogs are good at this.
What we can’t do is shovel handballs backwards to guys like Merrett Zaka Hurley or Saad, which is often our default

12 Likes

What’s gonna happen Saturday night ?
Honest predictions please.
No CrazyBomber, I’m not giving you an 80+ option !

• Richmond WIN 1-20
  • Richmond WIN 21-40
  • Richmond WIN 41+
  • Essendon WIN 1-20
  • Essendon WIN 21-40
  • Essendon WIN 41+

0 voters

1 Like

Meant to be 2-5mm of rain on Saturday

Stringer will go to dusty at centre bounces and some clearances. It worked well against Fyfffe on saturday. Stringer is an elite stoppage player.
Player for player - given they have 3 elites missing - we have them more than covered, but we know since 2017 they execute their system and structures far better than we do.
I think we will win this week by 10 points despite 2 absolute howler free kicks to lynch and caddieshack in the final quarter, when they charge our mason with their heads. Then Mason will get fined $40k for what he was thinking about the umpires.

6 Likes

It’ll be 1-20 either way IMO.

1 Like

needs more essington

That’s the 21-40 option. Game will be over at 1/4 time, we get away with a 6 goal loss and the train rolls on.

THIS MAN available for a full game VFL or AFL

12 Likes

Can’t wait to see the Sibbald-Smack pairing. NECK CITY

7 Likes

No he won’t.

Hurley has done well on both DeGoey and Rohan, both similar types to Caddy.

2 Likes

Frang to Vlastuin… Battle of the Rangs…

3 Likes

He’s 100% playing dreamtime, YOU WILL LIKE IT

Anyone else think this is the most season defining game we’ll have?

This has the makings of really, really igniting this club, imo.

18 Likes

Have a look at this https://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2019-05-20/btv-rd-9-inside-the-play it explains why our forwards are always running away from the player and hardly ever making a lead towards the ball carrier.

I agree, hopefully they will want to get up for Dev too since hes out the year, just added motivation, as much as it sucks.

Completely agree.

Problem is I’m scarred and just can’t get my head to think that we’ll win.

If we do, we’re on here.

We’re gonna cop a massive reaming and YOU WILL NOT LIKE IT.

1 Like

On Myers - rapt with VFL game… those that came in for David performed well though… he is not an automatic selection

On Smack - done enough workload & could be straight in… Match committee decision

Brown, Gleeson & Jok all back available

1 Like

Until the GF, of course