Speculation about changes for Dream Time v The Tigs

We must beat these arseholes

3 Likes

Guelfi must go to Dusty IMO. Did a good job on Sidebottom when moved to him in second qtr on ANZAC Day and helped us get back into the game. We must match their pressure and intent, that is attitude and doesnā€™t require skill, just desire.

9 Likes

so-much-awesome-meme

Guelfiā€™s response when told by Woosha that he is taking Dusty onā€¦

2 Likes

Cant help but agree with that. Look much better when we go back to 1:1.

1 Like

Defensively Iā€™d continue with the same focus, itā€™s the only area keeping us from embarrassment.
Stoppages is an area where we may have a winning advantage. If we can back in our stoppage group and hold our outside structure itā€™s one step closer to dismantling Richmond.
The focus and improvement needs to be the following. We need a clear plan when hacking it out of defence. We were incredibly lucky last week with our hack kicks out of defence not leading to more goals against. Heppell, Langford, Francis and Stringer moving out to the wings as marking targets for the rebound would work a treat. Iā€™d be rotating wings with Heppell and Langford once the ball is heading into our defensive 50. Richmond kick to a wall and have a wave of mids running to the contest, you canā€™t go laterally or be slow moving out of defence against Richmond if itā€™s play on.
We must hit more targets between the arcs. I hope we take the easiest options and move it on quickly, if it takes us 5 kicks to get inside 50 so be it. Keep the ball moving by foot, wheel and go.
We need to go inside 50 on the angles, utilise the space and isolate their defenders. Iā€™d even go boundary line as the safe play and beat them from boundary throw ins.
We can beat this inexperienced Richmond lineup if we go in with a clear plan and beat them with a thousand cuts. However the plan and what we do during the week comes from Woosha and the coaches who have let us down continuously.
The only other way we win is if weā€™re as efficient as Geelong are by foot but that is as likely as Fantasia playing this week.

5 Likes

Weā€™re at our best when we constantly switch angles as we move the ball forward. That burst running we do straight down the guts, Zerrett to Saad to McKenna etc looks awesome but good sides are on to it and set up for it. The other area we can improve is to ensure we always have someone stationed 35 m forward of a stoppage. On a number of occasions we got the ball to foot under pressure and a Freo player marked the ball on his own and sent it back over our heads.

2 Likes

Houli is a big danger. He reads the ball well in flight and intercepts often. He is very damaging wit his disposal. Blitzers like to joke about Houli ā€˜eliteā€™ rating but it is no joke, Bachar is a seriously good football player.

2 Likes

Thats simple because on Anzac Day our hopes and dreams havent been Essingtoned yet. We still have excuses like a poor preseason or banked a flat track win against an ordinary side.

In all honesty I think we need a hammy to go to Dusty. And im not wishing injury on anyone, its probably just the stroke of luck we need/misfortune on theirs.

Mind you a hobbled Dangerfield and missing Selwood didnt help us against Geelong.

I want my cake and eat it too!

As good as Dusty is, the 2 players who have really hurt us recently have been Caddy and Edwards.
Hopefully, we now have a great match up for Caddy in Ambrose.

Iā€™m confident we can win a fair share of clearances, and our defence wonā€™t get opened up too bad.
Can we kick a score though ?
Will our ball movement be stifled ?
Will our turnovers expose our defenders ?
Can we provide a functioning forwardline to worry the likes of Astbury, Grimes, Houli, Vlaustin ?

I know they are better than us, and probably by fair margin right now, but I hope they may be 10% off after a couple of up weeks, and we can build on last Sat night.

7 Likes

When did we last win the dream time game? I just canā€™t think of it. No use coming up with big concept games. You need to then perform in them. It is embarrassingā€¦

2 Likes

2014 I think.
Chappy was playing.
Rance fluffed up a kick across his defensive goals which resulted in a goal to Howlett (?)

7 Likes

Caddy will destroy Hurley.

With extreme prejudice.

I donā€™t know if he would.
Hurley is doing decent defensive jobs on very good players (DeGoey, Hogan etc)
Still think Hurls would be the best match up for Dusty, marginally in front of Redman, and Ambrose can make life difficult for Caddy.

1 Like

If you put a bit of time into Caddy heā€™s no threat.

If you donā€™t respect him he can kick 3-4

2 Likes

Spot on.

We need runners, and the faster and more defensive minded they are the better.

1 Like

Some extra tackling practice wouldnā€™t go astray this week. Too often our guys are brushed aside. We have a few that can stick a tackle, but more are needed.

1 Like

Did you see the Tigers shrugging the Hawthorn players on Sunday? Theyā€™re particularly good at it. The Hawks couldnā€™t stick a tackle to save themselves. Hopefully that doesnā€™t happen to us.

1 Like

At the game vs Freo, I saw numerous times in the first half weā€™d be streaming through the middle, but have no-one to kick to because everyone was running away from the kicker and towards goal. In the second half the forwards didnā€™t get sucked up the ground so much.

I know this sounds old fashioned, but please, please Woosha: Tell Joe (or Smack) to camp in the goal square and tell Tippa to stay in FWD50 for the crumb.

5 Likes