State League Prospects Thread

Probably the wrong thread but can anyone tell me why NOB is rated so highly? I've watch 3 games of VFL live plus another couple on TV and whatever he's played at AFL level, I just don't see an AFL quality player in him. He's not that quick, average skills etc. what's "his tricks" that make him AFL grade? Just don't see it.

So highly? Foggy went early on him being a really good (200 game?) player, and I don't see that.

That said, as a third year he's been consistently decent in the twos, he's a good size, can kick goals, seems to have the engine for AFL, goes hard & a willing worker - I don't see why there'd be any discussion about his list spot at all.

Probably the wrong thread but can anyone tell me why NOB is rated so highly? I've watch 3 games of VFL live plus another couple on TV and whatever he's played at AFL level, I just don't see an AFL quality player in him. He's not that quick, average skills etc. what's "his tricks" that make him AFL grade? Just don't see it.

So highly? Foggy went early on him being a really good (200 game?) player, and I don't see that.
That said, as a third year he's been consistently decent in the twos, he's a good size, can kick goals, seems to have the engine for AFL, goes hard & a willing worker - I don't see why there'd be any discussion about his list spot at all.

Exactly. Let the boy play. Hopefully, whoever takes on the role as development coach, can really get the 1-4 year guys to CLICK. There are a few yungens that need to step out of the shadows.

Exactly. Let the boy play. Hopefully, whoever takes on the role as development coach, can really get the 1-4 year guys to CLICK. There are a few yungens that need to step out of the shadows.

FWIW, I think we're in a pretty OK position with most of our list. 

3-4 years is enough to have a fair idea about kids. To my eye there are probably only 1-3 immediately available spots round 1 next year (assuming Paddy, Dempsey et al stay), but another 5-6 that are certainly within reach.

We're not in the position where we need to jettison big numbers, or put too much pressure on guys who aren't ready.

We had 24 blokes play 10+ games this year.

If we also get real value out of (most of) Ashby, Aylett, Browne, Gleeson, Kommer, Steinberg - oh and Bellchambers - types on top of that we are laughing.

Edwards/Hams/KAV!/NO'B are bonuses, but will be in the mix as well.

It's a funny year, because some of our best kids are the youngest on our list.

Zerrett

Gleeson

JoeDan

And as such, a lot of blokes have already been gone past.  But you can't get rid of everyone, and depth on the list can be more important for a side wanting to compete in finals then a bunch of potential kids.

If we can pick up a ready made state league player to walk into the 22 like Ambrose, kommer baguley and hibberd I will be happy.

Lambert from Williamstown, they showed highlights at half time in the vfl today and he is a jet. Opposition players saying he is untaggable at their level. Hits packs at a million miles an hour and very clean. 22 yrs old, would complement Jobe and Hepp.

Brendan Goss from Old Xavs looks like he has a few tricks.

Goss play any games for Essendon vfl?

Lambert from Williamstown, they showed highlights at half time in the vfl today and he is a jet. Opposition players saying he is untaggable at their level. Hits packs at a million miles an hour and very clean. 22 yrs old, would complement Jobe and Hepp.

Would definitely come into the thinking for many.

worth a rookie spot.

Want!

Want!

could also be potential backup for Baggs

This thread should be about one player and one player only… CAVARRA

Want!

How? He doesn't play back.

No31 is wrong about him being untaggable, he was very good in the semi but was tagged out of it in the other 2 finals by Lin Jong, who is a horrible tagger at AFL level but acceptable at VFL level, and Jordan Kelly. Jong in particular held him to only 10p.

Two guys Id be having a close eye on are Sam Heavyside (Bendigo Gold) and Nic Newman (Frankston Dolphins).   20 year olds doing extraordinary things for there respective sides against men this year. 

Id also have serious consideration for a number of others (obviously just one, possibly two). 

For those who watch the recruit apparently we are talking to Chris Moreland (not sure if that’s how you spell it, I’ve never seen the show.

This is coming from my brother who goes to school with his younger brother. I don’t vouch for the source just passing on what he said.

Two guys Id be having a close eye on are Sam Heavyside (Bendigo Gold) and Nic Newman (Frankston Dolphins).   20 year olds doing extraordinary things for there respective sides against men this year. 

Id also have serious consideration for a number of others (obviously just one, possibly two). 

I'd happily recruit Heavyside just for his name. Maybe he could be our next big bodied mid?

I'd happily recruit Heavyside just for his name. Maybe he could be our next big bodied mid?

Unfortunately he's a bit of a shrimp!

Want!
How? He doesn't play back.

No31 is wrong about him being untaggable, he was very good in the semi but was tagged out of it in the other 2 finals by Lin Jong, who is a horrible tagger at AFL level but acceptable at VFL level, and Jordan Kelly. Jong in particular held him to only 10p.
That wasn't me who said he was untaggable, it was the opposition players who play on him saying it in the package they put up at half time.

3 grand finals to watch this week:

VFL - Footscray v Box Hill

SANFL - Norwood v Port Adelaide

WAFL - East Perth v Subiaco

Let the talent scouts loose.