State of Origin - Bushfire Relief Game Squads

Pity selection.

Just like the all star game in 2008, Essendon nowhere to be seen.

1 Like

They were meant to pick 3 from each team but rules changed to at least 1 upon coaches request earlier in week.

As it stands.

Adelaide - 4
Brisbane - 5
Carlton - 1
Collingwood - 5
Essendon - 1
Fremantle - 2
Geelong - 4
Gold Coast - 1
GWS - 6
Hawthorn - 3
North Melb - 3
Melbourne - 1
Port Adel - 2
Richmond - 6
St Kilda - 2
Sydney - 3
West Coast - 2
W Bulldogs - 3

hawthorn have 3
Adelaide have 4
west coast have 2

jade Gresham, Taylor walker and Zac tuhoy are playing

it’s not that serious, at all

3 Likes

You’d think with McKenna heading home they’d put Saad on ice.

Mafia style?

Coaches

The news comes as the AFL unveiled both teams’ coaching panels, with Hardwick and All-Stars coach John Longmire flanked by some of the games best minds.

Four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson, Richmond assistant Adam Kingsley, Gold Coast assistant Dean Solomon and Collingwood assistant Robert Harvey will join Hardwick’s Victorian coaching panel.

Gold Coast senior coach Stuart Dew, Port Adelaide assistant Michael Voss, GWS assistant Mark McVeigh, Western Bulldogs assistant Joel Corey and Sydney Assistant Dean Cox head up the All-Stars coaches box.

No it isn’t; if you look at it in isolation.

But, if you also add:
No players in the All Australian Squad.
No players at the pointy end of the Brownlow.
No players at the pointy end of the Coaches Association award.
Few (if any) players in those media top 50 players lists.

Now you can argue the merits of these things, but they all can’t be wrong.

Our list is light on for elite players. Good average players - we have heaps on them. Superstars? No.

5 Likes

There’s some truth in what your are saying but some other factors to consider -

-No Essendon staff in the coaches/selectors
-Not a lot of ex Essendon people in the media, a lot of people who dislike Essendon in there
-No ex Essendon people on AA selectors
-The majority of our better players have been eased through this pre-season in order to be ready for round 1.

There must be quite a few injured or unavailable if the second best Allies tall defender is Jeremy Howe.

1 Like

i am rapt there is only one EFC player selected. It means a total focus on the first Marsh series game.

3 Likes

there’s a heap of players on that list that are nowhere near elite

shiel, stringer, zerrett and Hurley are a mile better than a lot of them players

1 Like

Sheil and Merret aren’t better than the picked Victorian mids though.

3 Likes

For once, I am thrilled that our squad Is bog average.

It’s a fundraiser.
One step up from retired fat blokes running around in prime time.
Glorified fitness drill for any players selected, and that’s it.
Given we’re playing an actual practice game, where you want our team to actually practice things, the night before (thanks you nuffies at the Awful) the fewer players we have participating the better.
Seriously,
Richmond has half a dozen participants, on the same weekend they play the Filth, who have the next most representatives.
There’s a shed load of coaching agreements gone into this behind the scenes.

2 Likes

It’s pretty embarrassing that you give a rats.
:rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Adam Saad says he is honoured to represent Victoria and play a part in the State of Origin for Bushfire Relief match.

1 hr

Adam Saad is looking forward to representing Victoria next week. (Photo: AFL Photos)

Star backman Adam Saad says he is honoured to represent Victoria and play a part in next week’s State of Origin for Bushfire Relief match against the All Stars.

Funds raised from the special clash at Marvel Stadium will be directed to communities affected by the recent fires that devastated Australia and Saad is thrilled to contribute to the cause.

“It’s an honour and a privilege to be representing your state on such a big occasion,” Saad said on Tuesday.

“The reasoning behind why the game is even there in the first place – to raise funds and help the families and communities that are affected by the bushfires – it’s a great cause.

“For the whole AFL community to come together is amazing. If we can just make a small impact on their lives and put a smile on their face and help support them through these tough times, it’s a big reason why I wanted to hopefully put on the Big V and play in this game.”

Saad has never represented his state at any level having been overlooked as a junior before being drafted by Gold Coast off the back of brilliant form for Coburg in the VFL.

He said he is “very, very excited” to be named in the star-studded line-up and join forces with some of the league’s best players including close friend Bachar Houli.

“I’ve never represented my state, Victoria. Coming through the VFL ranks I never had the chance even at under-18 level.

“To pull on the jumper next week and play for your state, it’s an amazing feeling – even to play alongside my brother Bachar Houli and play alongside each other on the half-back flanks.

“It’s going to be a different vibe not playing with my teammates like every week at Essendon, but it’s a good opportunity for us to get to know players from other teams and represent our state.

“Hopefully it’s a good contest and we can raise some money and help the families in need.”

Known for his exhilarating run-and-gun play off half-back, Saad is hopeful Victorian coach Damien Hardwick will allow him the freedom to take the game on.

And despite being named on the back pocket, the speedster has his eyes on the scoreboard after breaking through for three sensational goals in the red and black last year.

“I’m not really sure what my role is, but hopefully I can take the ball under my arm, take a few bounces, run down the win and who knows? Kick a goal – I love kicking a goal, I kicked a couple last year.

“I’m actually really excited, I can’t wait for next week.”

Essendon FC :heavy_check_mark: @essendonfc

Ready to light it up in the Big V ⚡️

A timely reminder of Saady’s magic…

Embedded video

1:52 PM - Feb 18, 2020

Twitter Ads info and privacy

17 people are talking about this

The first bounce is set for 7:50pm on Friday, February 28. You can see the full teams below.

STATE OF ORIGIN FOR BUSHFIRE RELIEF TEAMS

Victoria

B - James Sicily, Mark Blicavs, Adam Saad

HB - Bachar Houli, Darcy Moore, Nick Haynes

C - Josh Kelly, Dustin Martin, Lachie Whitfield

HF - Shaun Higgins, Jeremy Cameron, Robbie Gray

F - Patrick Dangerfield, Tom Lynch, Toby Greene

R - Todd Goldstein, Marcus Bontempelli, Trent Cotchin

Interchange - Rory Sloane, Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom, Jack Macrae, Tom Papley, Ben Cunnington, Jake Lloyd, Jade Gresham, Stefan Martin

All Stars

B - Brad Sheppard, Harris Andrews, Rory Laird

HB - Jason Johannisen, Jeremy Howe, Brodie Smith

C - Isaac Smith, Nat Fyfe, Bradley Hill

HF - Shane Edwards, Jack Riewoldt, Luke Breust

F - Charlie Cameron, Tom Hawkins, Michael Walters

R - Brodie Grundy, Elliot Yeo, Dayne Zorko

Interchange - Patrick Cripps, Stephen Coniglio, Lachie Neale, Neville Jetta, Zach Tuohy, Taylor Walker, Callum Mills, Lachie Weller, Scott Lycett

1 Like

didnt even get anyone picked in the best of the rest?

Sounds about right.

If the lads want to be thought of anything more than average, then they will just have to prove it. On the field. In finals.

1 Like

Saad is in.

Shiel and Smith could probably consider themselves unlucky

Everyone else of our gun players are on various stages of injury comeback trails or probably not seen as had enough conditioning as far as full training goes (and likely not put fwd by the club)

Daniher - only just started running (OP)
Heppell - not in full training yet (foot)
Fantasia - still being managed, (hip & knee)
TIPPA - calf strain recovery
Hurley - not in full training yet (shoulder)
Hooker - not in full training yet (hip)

If we had a strong season and they all played to the level they can would all be in the conversation

Edit. Add Stringer to unlucky duo

Hurley has been in full training for ages now hasn’t he??