Stein vs. Pears

I thought Pears was going to be champion player for us. I've rarely seen a career disintegrate like his has. Poor ■■■■■■■.

The only worry I saw in the early days was J Reiwoldt kicking 6 (I think) on him when they were still a garbage bottom of the ladder team.

It was one of those moments where you sort of wince and think "did that just happen?"

We need  back up for when Fletch retires, so I'd think we'd keep him over Stein - who I had a good look at over the preseason when it was there for his grabbing and he didn't take his moment. Pears has been ok when he's made it into the main side lately.

Wasn't that the game that he played with a bung hand and some bung internal organ?

If pears goes who is going to model the gear in the bombershop?

Mens_Heritage_Hoody.png

The forwards Pears played well agsinst were the shorter and stockier types (Fevola and Bradshaw), these types of players don't exist anymore. Most forwards these days are 195cm +, this is not good for Pears.
Fletch used to tower over key forwards, but this is no longer the case.
I have not seen Steinberg play, so can't comment.

True, but the role Pears would play IF he was in the seniors and IF he came good would be third tall, not key defensive post like he used to.

I thought Pears was going to be champion player for us. I've rarely seen a career disintegrate like his has. Poor ■■■■■■■.

The only worry I saw in the early days was J Reiwoldt kicking 6 (I think) on him when they were still a garbage bottom of the ladder team.

It was one of those moments where you sort of wince and think "did that just happen?"

We need  back up for when Fletch retires, so I'd think we'd keep him over Stein - who I had a good look at over the preseason when it was there for his grabbing and he didn't take his moment. Pears has been ok when he's made it into the main side lately.

Wasn't that the game that he played with a bung hand and some bung internal organ?

He broke his hand on Anzac day (but still played on and still smashed Cloke) and they rushed him back too quick for the Richmond game. Jack was punching his hand before the ball was bounced, and somehow scammed a free kick out of it. But yeah, Jack killed him that night. 

This was the first time Pears looked ordinary, and then a few weeks later against the hawks was when he got the Pancreas Injury.... and he has never looked even remotely the same since. 

I feel for stein he has been dropped to a rookie from the main list three years ago and he still stays at the club, he has improved out of sight, I would like to see him get a chance at senior level, I think we will have another Hurley on our hands

If pears goes who is going to model the gear in the bombershop?
Mens_Heritage_Hoody.png

New battlefront: 'Blue steel' Pears vs Stein with his luscious locks.

BTW, according to the AFL site (take it with a pinch of salt), Richards is 1cm taller than Pears and Steinberg, who are both 191cm.

Richards was 190cm at Essendon.  Good on him for growing 2 cm at 25.  :)

Similar to Borat's son ....

Have followed Ariel Steinberg's progress since he arrived. In his first years he impressed as a strong mark up front who needed to learn positional play. He was moved down back and bulked up. He still has a strong mark and now has can muscle his way into contests. His decision making is good. He fits in well with the team. What we need is to see how he goes on the big stage. He's at that point. I think the club does need to give its younger listed players a go in seniors more regularly. Have never been able to understand why Ben Duscher hasn't been given a chance- for three years or more now he has out-performed drafted players who have come and gone. 

Have never been able to understand why Ben Duscher hasn't been given a chance- for three years or more now he has out-performed drafted players who have come and gone. 

not sure why he didnt get the chance earlier, but now the issue is his age. then again, James Podsiadly got picked up to Geelong at 28. Ben is 27.

Fletcher's longevity has probably stunted opportunities for these guys.

Nobody in all seriousness could have predicted fletch would still be playing. take him out of the picture and these 2 would have had a lot more opportunities.

For what it's worth, Pears is the better player if he can stay fit. I think people forget how good he looked before his injuries. I thought he would play that Sean Wellman rebounding defender role. Just can't get a good run at it.

Has anyone mentioned that VU played a game this year?

Pears has had his opportunities but too often engaged 'clunk' mode. I guess you could keep picking him hoping he will radically change, but after you've done that for a few seasons doesn't it become dispiriting to the younger players who are never given an opportunity even after they've done all they can with series BOGs in the 2s

I think this is one of those debates that only exists because the majority of the participants have very little information to go on and have chosen sides based on vibe. I'd reckon the way to go is let the club who see and evaluate everything both players have done in their time and football make the call and then go, "oh so that's what happened there."

The answer to this question could quite well be neither.

Has anyone mentioned that VU played a game this year?

IMHO will be hard pressed to get a contract -given Pears is staying, if we give Hardie another year, I can't see a lot of justification as the third back-up for a role we don't normally use.

Unfortunately, Pears has run his race.   I would be surprised if we ever see him anywhere but in the seconds.

Pears, Steinberg, Gregory, Jetta, Van Unen trade the lot for Dyson and a third rounder.  Then trade that up for Cameron B)

PEARS

Why isn’t there a Live Training thread, providing by-the-minute Stein vs Pears updates?

Didnt someone who keeps a close eye on VFL say that Stienberg will not be playing seniors, ever? That he is not listed for that reason? or something?

Stop goblining.