Stein vs. Pears

Love to be wrong, but don't see Pears, Stein or Gregory (early days I know) ever making it.

How many people said that about Colyer 6 weeks ago?
the more we trash players, the more likely theyll become superstars

Then Jetta should become that best player of all time pretty soon

i was thinking we trash Heppell. just imagine if he got better and better and better and better and better...

Pears has one thing Stein doesn't have and that's a contract for next year (confirmed in the contract thread). At present the only way another club will take him is if we pay for him in our salary cap, and I doubt we're in a posy to do that. I think we need to trim 3 minimum from the list at year's end and unless Pears retires he won't be one. I don't think giving the rookie Stein the flick helps either so there's going to be some tension at delisting time.

If there's a spot down back they might elevate Stein but he'll have to seriously sparkle to avoid the chop next year.

I reckon Pears is there for another year whether people like it or not though so if he is fit, a huge if I know, it might be best to bring him in. He was OK in a few games last year.

Until he died on his way back to his home planet, I thought there was distinct potential in Gregory, especially as he was the sole backup of significant height.
Ariel has had very little trouble playing on guys bigger than him, but faster ones have been a nuisance at times. You get a lot more combining both at AFL level, but there aren‘t many day-one Buddy-killers out there.

He reads the ball very well as a defender, uses the hips rather than the hands to beat bigger guys, and is usually very composed once he has it. 
As for forward, we really still have no idea. It‘s been seriously weird how they given him basically no forward game time for years.

Freeeee-eeee Ar-i-el Stein-berg…

BTW, according to the AFL site (take it with a pinch of salt), Richards is 1cm taller than Pears and Steinberg, who are both 191cm.

Richards was 190cm at Essendon. Good on him for growing 2 cm at 25. :)
Bloods Culture?? Maybe something for the Sorry Saga thread.
Would love to see Steinburg given a chance, although I hope it's more than the previously mentioned Tyson Slattery. I had the misfortune of been at Footy Park that night. It was a horrible experience for Essendon all round.

Stein all the way. 

Steinpear.

P.S. Not sure if Steinberg‘s stats have been updated for a while. Not many 86kg full-backs bumping out 2m resting rucks in marking contests.

Tayte Pears

And I’d be keeping him on the list to keep the pressure on hurls and hooker or to fill his own spot down back if Fletcher retires.

Fletch goes, he’s the first player I’m going to. Him and Hurley can interchange who plays key back or third tall. Both very attacking, Pears is prone to brain explosions but when he is up his distribution by foot is clean and he is very attacking.

Float the Berg

Only 13% of Steinberg‘s forward potential is visible.

Tayte Pears
And I'd be keeping him on the list to keep the pressure on hurls and hooker or to fill his own spot down back if Fletcher retires.
Fletch goes, he's the first player I'm going to. Him and Hurley can interchange who plays key back or third tall. Both very attacking, Pears is prone to brain explosions but when he is up his distribution by foot is clean and he is very attacking.

How many times has that held true of him in the last four years? Serious question.

Tayte PearsAnd I'd be keeping him on the list to keep the pressure on hurls and hooker or to fill his own spot down back if Fletcher retires.Fletch goes, he's the first player I'm going to. Him and Hurley can interchange who plays key back or third tall. Both very attacking, Pears is prone to brain explosions but when he is up his distribution by foot is clean and he is very attacking.

How many times has that held true of him in the last four years? Serious question.
Not once. Well probably last year, but Fletcher kept him out.

Tayte PearsAnd I'd be keeping him on the list to keep the pressure on hurls and hooker or to fill his own spot down back if Fletcher retires.Fletch goes, he's the first player I'm going to. Him and Hurley can interchange who plays key back or third tall. Both very attacking, Pears is prone to brain explosions but when he is up his distribution by foot is clean and he is very attacking.

Not once. Well probably last year, but Fletcher kept him out.
That seems to imply the odds of it happening in the future are reasonably remote...

Tayte Pears
And I'd be keeping him on the list to keep the pressure on hurls and hooker or to fill his own spot down back if Fletcher retires.
Fletch goes, he's the first player I'm going to. Him and Hurley can interchange who plays key back or third tall. Both very attacking, Pears is prone to brain explosions but when he is up his distribution by foot is clean and he is very attacking.

Is that the longest post you've ever made?

Steinberg BOG in most recent VFL game. 

From all reports his actual defensive work even against much taller opposition has been excellent, whereas Pears does seem to struggle in that regard. 

Pears is only just back to playing post an achilles injury.  Cruelled with bad luck the kid. 

We have never seen Stein play a defensive role in the seniors so hard to compare. When Pears was flying he was certainly a talented player. 

Pears didn't seem to struggle too much when he absolutely smashed Brendan Fevola at the height of his career.

From all reports his actual defensive work even against much taller opposition has been excellent, whereas Pears does seem to struggle in that regard. 

Pears is only just back to playing post an achilles injury.  Cruelled with bad luck the kid. 

We have never seen Stein play a defensive role in the seniors so hard to compare. When Pears was flying he was certainly a talented player. 

Pears didn't seem to struggle too much when he absolutely smashed Brendan Fevola at the height of his career.

Wasn't that Darcy Daniher? And didn't Fev kick like 1.6 or something?

Wasn't that Darcy Daniher? And didn't Fev kick like 1.6 or something?

Pears, Round 13 2009. We smashed Carlton by 10 goals. Was poetry. We were doing party tricks.

Pears wasn’t that great. Just because he ran off Fev twice (Fev, lazy!?!?) doesn’t mean he did that amazing a job.

It’s a performance that grows with each passing year. Watch the game again and it was just ‘young kid does a couple of nice things when his side is up in a big win’.

Happens near every weak and means ■■■■ all.

Pears wasn't that great. Just because he ran off Fev twice (Fev, lazy!?!?) doesn't mean he did that amazing a job.
It's a performance that grows with each passing year. Watch the game again and it was just 'young kid does a couple of nice things when his side is up in a big win'.
Happens near every weak and means **** all.

It's not like that was the only good game he played, and quite frankly, it wasn't even his best. 

In 2009 / 2010, he beat J Brown, Roughead, N Reiwoldt, Pavlich (x2), Cloke, Fev, Tex Walker... pretty much whoever he played on, he beat. Kosi once kicked 4 on him, and that was the most. 

Obviously, that was a long time ago and no longer relevant, but i reckon his 2009 / 2010 form is under rated in hindsight, rather than the other way around. He was really, really good in a gameplan that required him to sit 15 metres off his opponent.  

I thought Pears was going to be champion player for us. I've rarely seen a career disintegrate like his has. Poor ■■■■■■■.

The only worry I saw in the early days was J Reiwoldt kicking 6 (I think) on him when they were still a garbage bottom of the ladder team.

It was one of those moments where you sort of wince and think "did that just happen?"

We need  back up for when Fletch retires, so I'd think we'd keep him over Stein - who I had a good look at over the preseason when it was there for his grabbing and he didn't take his moment. Pears has been ok when he's made it into the main side lately.