Steinberg, Hardingham and a lack of logic

Interesting topic.

At first I thought it was rubbish (sorry, JM) but it highlights a hole in our list, that of the medium-tall forward.

We're looking for someone to replace Crameri, basically.  Or someone to replace the replacement when injury strikes (like now).

Crameri's 189cm.

Winderlich, apparently is 188cm, but plays small.

On the upper end of medium talls is Gunston at 193cm.

On our list in that range (shorter than Hurley, taller than Winderlich) we have in descending height order,

Pears (so you can understand the VFL experiment)

Ambrose

Steinberg

Myers

Watson

Van Unen

Heppell(!)

Edwards

Goddard

Run a line through Heppell.

Watson has my permission to be third tall when we recruit Ablett.

Myers, again, is more needed elsewhere unless we recruit a gun mid.  Could work though.  Could work very well indeed.

Bomber has already said he wants Goddard forward.  He fits nicely. 

Edwards - haven't seen enough but doesn't seem that sort of player.

And you're back to Van Unen, Pears, Steinberg, Ambrose.

Oh, Hardingham is Gleeson's height.

Nearly an inch shorter than Winders.  Plays tall.

I’ve always wanted to see Myers given an extended run up forward. Loves a goal too.

It would allow Melksham more genuine midfield time too, which is what he needs.

I've always wanted to see Myers given an extended run up forward. Loves a goal too.

Love Myers, but not sure he is strong enough overhead to play forward.

I've always wanted to see Myers given an extended run up forward. Loves a goal too.

Love Myers, but not sure he is strong enough overhead to play forward.

His leg speed and agility certainly holds him back.

So his leg speed and agility are fine for the midfield, but not good enough forward?

I agree, overhead isn’t his strength, but he’s not useless in the air.

I reckon he’d be more than handy, might help with some defensive pressure too. Not to mention the ‘hoof.’

So his leg speed and agility are fine for the midfield, but not good enough forward?
I agree, overhead isn't his strength, but he's not useless in the air.
I reckon he'd be more than handy, might help with some defensive pressure too. Not to mention the 'hoof.'

No, his agility and speed are second rate for a midfielder but he does provide a big body and has the hoof, I like Myers and he definitely has his best footy ahead of him.
As for your statement about him helping with defensive pressure, all I could picture was the pacey half backs of the comp leaving him in their wake.

So, Ambrose, Goddard, Myers for the medium tall role?

Yes?

I have to admit, if Ambrose isn't a flash in the pan I'd love to see Myers in that position.

Hmmm.

Would Dempsey beat Myers?

I agree, overhead isn't his strength, but he's not useless in the air.
I reckon he'd be more than handy, might help with some defensive pressure too. Not to mention the 'hoof.'

No, his agility and speed are second rate for a midfielder but he does provide a big body and has the hoof, I like Myers and he definitely has his best footy ahead of him.
As for your statement about him helping with defensive pressure, all I could picture was the pacey half backs of the comp leaving him in their wake.

He is nowhere near as slow as you think he is. Nowhere near it.

I think Anthony long and Stein were back to back second pick fails.

If we're gonna play hindsight hero....

IMO, 2009 is a really interesting year to look at:

Yes, we got Melksham and Carlisle (and Crameri and Howlett in Rookie Draft)

But we got Colyer and Long in the 2nd round.

We could have gotten Sam Reid, Jack Gunston, Mitch Duncan or Allen Christensen (in a similar pick range)

4 guys that have played in premierships since then, all of which would address holes on our list.

Not gonna mention Barlow v Hardingham.

09 was an interesting vintage.

ouch

JM is stating that he should be playing in the forward line in the Reserves, not in the back line. He did not state that he was going to be a star, in fact I don't think he is up to it either.

But if he EVER is going to play in the firsts (with our injury history, anything could happen), it will be as a forward not back, so play him where we will potentially require him.

Spot on.

As JM said, why is Pears playing forward line in the reserves though? if it is for the future then surely he has to play back as when Fletch retires either he or Carlisle will be required down back.

Wtf is all this "JM knows more about  coaching than Bomber does" rubbish coming from?

You seriously believe a random from the internet has a better grasp of what's required than a dual premiership coach?

Just astonishing sometimes this place.

JM is stating that he should be playing in the forward line in the Reserves, not in the back line. He did not state that he was going to be a star, in fact I don't think he is up to it either.
But if he EVER is going to play in the firsts (with our injury history, anything could happen), it will be as a forward not back, so play him where we will potentially require him.

Spot on.
As JM said, why is Pears playing forward line in the reserves though? if it is for the future then surely he has to play back as when Fletch retires either he or Carlisle will be required down back.
Wtf is all this "JM knows more about coaching than Bomber does" rubbish coming from?
You seriously believe a random from the internet has a better grasp of what's required than a dual premiership coach?
The world of Blitz.

Spot on.
Wtf is all this "JM knows more about coaching than Bomber does" rubbish coming from?
The world of Blitz.

I would like to know where it says that JM knows more than Bomber? JM made a suggestion and I agreed with him,

Are we not allowed to discuss/debate things anymore?

I'm curious as to why some keep holding onto to a miracle happening for Tayte Pears.

He showed talent and potential early but unfortunately, his career was over before it ever really started through injury.  Post injury he has never been able to find any where near that form or string multiple games together without being re-injured. 

I'm curious as to why some keep holding onto to a miracle happening for Tayte Pears.
He showed talent and potential early but unfortunately, his career was over before it ever really started through injury. Post injury he has never been able to find any where near that form or string multiple games together without being re-injured.

If Fletch retires at years end, who do you think comes into the team ?

Spot on.

Wtf is all this "JM knows more about  coaching than Bomber does" rubbish coming from?

I dont think anyone actually said that.

I've only just read this thread and I think the major fallacy with JM's article is that it's basically saying "If we understand Bomber's motives, then he's doing it wrong".

We leaves it open to me that we (JM in this case) just don't understand bomber's motives.

I know Bomber said he's juggling tactics vs strategy, short term v long term etc, but I think in this case we are reading too much into it.

Bomber is also juggling personalities, development, injuries, contracts.

I'd also argue that Bomber is only 1 member of the match committee, has no say at all in when players will return from injury, and has even less input with where players will line up in the VFL (Skippy will take what he says on board, probably passed on second hand, but on the day it might not work out).

Having said that I think it's good that he's got a lot in the pipeline for the future. If Pears does get called upon as a defensive forward, at least he will have had some experience up there in the VFL for a few weeks. There's no reason why Pears can't play an Ambrose type role.

No offense to Ambrose, he could be anything, but so far he's played like a defender up forward, just spoiling and bringing it to ground. It's not like he's been marking on the lead in each quarter. I'm definitely on his bandwagon, I think he should be a lock until he gets 20 games into him minimum. Don't forget without those 3 goals against the Hawks he'd have a lot less support on Blitz, hell, he was just about to get dragged.

As for Steinberg, well he was a forward, and then they moved him back, and then they played him fwd in the pre-seaon, and now he's gone back again. It's not like he hasn't had an extended run up forward, so he should be more than ableto have a crack if he gets the call up.

Our ideal backline might currently be:

Fletcher Hooker Baguley

Hibberd Hurley Demspey (bench:Gleeson)

But aside from Baguley (and arguably Fletch) they aren't the most durable bunch going around. Chances of them all being fit for 3 games in a row is pretty unlikely, and same goes for our fwd line. The more guys we have that can plug holes the better.

He showed talent and potential early but unfortunately, his career was over before it ever really started through injury.  Post injury he has never been able to find any where near that form or string multiple games together without being re-injured. 

He was playing good footy last year. Not back to his very best, but good football after his first full preseason for years.

Spot on.

I'm certainly not saying that I know more than the coach but I am interested to know the reasoning behind the current use of Steinberg in the light of the circumstances I have raised and it seems from the replies that some other blitzers find the topic worthy of discussion.

"Random from the internet"  Perhaps it takes one to know one - am I a more "random" internet writer than you or is there something special that makes you less random than me when you express a view?

I know I don't always get it right but I would suggest that I have seen more of Essendon's training this year than any journalist so there is some basis for me expressing an opinion which it I suggest overcomes the "random" criticism.

If I’m not mistaken, this is a football forum for discussing football. Are we all expected to parrot back whatever the coach at the time thinks and keep our opinions to ourselves? There would be few people outside the club with a more informed view than jackie. Keep them coming JM.

If I'm not mistaken, this is a football forum for discussing football. Are we all expected to parrot back whatever the coach at the time thinks and keep our opinions to ourselves? There would be few people outside the club with a more informed view than jackie. Keep them coming JM.

I would like to second the appreciation of JM's observations & thoughts. Definitely one of the reasons I keep coming back to Blitz. 

Thanks Jackie