Stephen May...be

Will be like having another Hurley.

Only if the price was right, and it won’t be. His price will be more than we can afford. We have more pressing needs. May is pie in the sky.

Actually even though I don’t want him I want Jackets appearing to want him to drive up the price for someone else.

8 Likes

same as the JJ thread.

The midfield has merrett parish and hepp, you can build around that without chasing to many players or just draft in mid range players. Mcgrath could and prolly will move into the midfield and you have coyler who can play in there.
The midfield yes still needs work.

Ironically though it’s still the backline that is the biggest need prolly.
Kelly is most likely gone at the end of the year.
Gleeson at this stage will most likely be traded/delisted
bags is almost 30
and mcgrath is either the only one of decent calibre coming through the ranks and he may be moved out of there.
and atm we have goddard and stanton rotating through the backline for stints and there’s no guarantee they will even be on the list next year. Ditto mckenna.

Next year as it stands for the backline we could have bags, Dea if he continues to be able to hold his own and mcgrath.

and you still want to focus on the midfield ?
and pass up players who would benefit the backline cos “midfield” ?
wow.

I’d take may in a heartbeat, get some more hard nosed mongrel in the side let alone down there.

the biggest issue as to why the midfield hasn’t worked to well this year is due to trying to figure out the right combos to have in there.
It’s way more covered than the backline at present, which probably is sadly an indictment.

1 Like

The midfield has to be 16 deep on game day (that includes a few people capable of rolling through, but not a primary player).

Not to mention the depth you’d need.

of course our midfields the fkg issue. its been the issue for 15 years and continues to be the issue.

I don’t reckon out midfield was an issue 2012-14. Maybe by the end of 2014 we started looking slow, but we used to smash clearances and contested footy, but could never score.

So I don’t reckon it’s been our problem for 15 years, our problems have been many and varied.

It’s our problem now though.

As for May, well, he’d slot in nicely with Hurley and Ambrose. That’s one backline that will never get rag dolled.

Wouldn’t want our first rounder being involved, but any pick / player combo outside of that and you’d be silly not to look at it.

3 Likes

Is a gun. But I’m pretty sure most people on this forum would agree that he is the least of our priorities. Need midfielders and rebounding backmen.

Bring him in

1 Like

You do realise he’s a key defender right, not a backpocket/flanker.

1 Like

Could he play midfield?

1 Like

According to the Age:

“Melbourne and Essendon are among the clubs to have met with Gold Coast key defender Steven May, with Collingwood and Hawthorn having also expressed interest with the co-captain of the Suns.”

Hooker / Hurley getting on… his lines up well with the age profile of our list…

Is a restricted free agent at the end of next season. Suns will probably be at the bottom quarter of the ladder.

It would need to be a special trade to equal the high draft pick they would get simply by making him play out 2019 and watching him go.

They also have plenty of picks for this year.

1 Like

Going to pies, nowhere else

If that’s the case, let’s roll out the spongey floor and drive his trade price up!

I think that logic is sound, but it ignores that they may want to get the bleeding of players out of the way in one hit. Losing another captain next year would be terrible optics. Not to say he won’t still cost a heap, but I wouldn’t be saying “special trade”. Probably two first rounders.

The problem for Collingwood is that they’ve only used one first rounder so far since 2015 due to Treloar wiping them out in 2015 and 2016. So because of the 2 in 4 rule, they can’t trade their 2018 pick unless they get one back (they can trade their 2019 pick, because 2017 + 2018 means they would meet the rule). And they don’t have a 2018 second rounder to sweeten any pot.

I very much doubt that Moore will give them a first rounder to do it.

The question is what would GCS need in addition to Collingwood’s 2019 first to trade Moore? I can’t see them doing it for less than two first rounders, so Collingwood probably have to trade out someone pretty decent as well as their 2019 first.

Anyone we want from Collingwood worth a 2019 first?

FA next year, if he stays at the Suns for another year, making contact with him now might be the smart option.

1 Like

Daniher/May forward line.

3 Likes

If he asks for a trade and a deal is not struck, he will be no where near the leadership group next year. Suns will be saying they held their ground because they didn’t get enough, compared to what they would likley get next year.

If he nominated us, yes.

Not interested.