Stopping the Boats: What is Abbott hiding?

I have ten pound Pommie Grandparents. They were dead against boat people and could not see the irony

Are they against more English immigration?  That would be ironic.  Opposing people who employ people smugglers to force their way onto a country really has no relevence to legal immigration from any country in any era.
pretty sure its legal to seek asylum.

Know for certain that engaging people smugglers is illegal.

As is refusing a person the right to apply for asylum.

But it is not illegal to deny that application.

No, just unconscionable.

I have ten pound Pommie Grandparents. They were dead against boat people and could not see the irony

Are they against more English immigration?  That would be ironic.  Opposing people who employ people smugglers to force their way onto a country really has no relevence to legal immigration from any country in any era.

So hang on, are you against economic immigrants? Or asylum seekers.

Mearly pointing out that ecomonic migrants don't naturally have to have some affinity with asylum seekers.

Mearly pointing out that ecomonic migrants don't naturally have to have some affinity with asylum seekers.

They have this thing in Hong Kong when the Indonesian's who come as maids - Decide they don't like their job, somehow manage to overstay their visa or lose their job and stay on - As soon as they are picked up by immigration officers/Police, they claim refugee status.they aren't allowed to work,must stay out of naughty areas, and get a small stipend for food. It usually takes 2 or 3 years for their application to be considered - Not one has been approved.

Think you'll find that more of the so called economic refugees travel through legal channels - That is have a valid visa.

Surprises me the Libs don’t go with stop the drownings as the slogan / mantra.

I like how their is such an ALP outrage re burnt hands or a few hundred grand on boats and not getting reality TV on the high seas for their political point scoring. But drownings on their watch were whatevs.

I dont like liberal or labour but ALP ■■■■■■■■ on this issue is somewhat galling.

If the drownings are down then Libs have the runs on the board here.

Surprises me the Libs don't go with stop the drownings as the slogan / mantra.
I like how their is such an ALP outrage re burnt hands or a few hundred grand on boats and not getting reality TV on the high seas for their political point scoring. But drownings on their watch were whatevs.
I dont like liberal or labour but ALP ■■■■■■■■ on this issue is somewhat galling.

How would anyone know?

Think JBomber is saying that some asylum seekers are in fact economic immigrants - Though they don't fit into the category of having x amoount of dollars.

I lost a lot of respect for the ALP over this one under Gillard & Rudd.

A lot.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

A lot.

concur

I lost a lot of respect for you guys respecting them in the first place. I'll vote for them, after preferences, but respect them? Madness.

A lot.

concur

agree

What would you guys do if you were the ones in power? Genuine question.

Bring them to Australia, vet them, let them stay or move them on. Do it quickly, do it, properly. And end the political point scoring via fear mongering. Seriously, there are more students overstaying their visas every year than there are of these people.

I would open the borders and let everyone in.  In fact, I would hire a big cruise ship, take it to Indonesia, fill it up with refugees, teach them a bit of English and love for the Bombers on the trip back and sign them all up as Members.

Bring them to Australia, vet them, let them stay or move them on. Do it quickly, do it, properly. And end the political point scoring via fear mongering. Seriously, there are more students overstaying their visas every year than there are of these people.

A difficulty in that is the processing of this quickly.  You are often dealing with governments who will either not supply the information or will supply dodgy ones or who do not reply at all.  You are also dealing with thousands of people with your own limited resources.  Quickly is a difficult thing.

So let it be difficult.

Makes me laugh, the 'economic immigrants' line.  People with money fly here and stay here, and we do nothing to send them home.

People with money do not put themselves and their families on leaky boats.

■■■■■■■ terrorism.  Their wily scheme is to drown off the coast of Christmas Island. 

■■■■ me.

A difficulty in that is the processing of this quickly.  You are often dealing with governments who will either not supply the information or will supply dodgy ones or who do not reply at all.  You are also dealing with thousands of people with your own limited resources.  Quickly is a difficult thing.

Have a look how long it takes other countries. Usually weeks, occassionally a month or so, but for some reason we can't manage it. We do it very slowly because we want to, not because we have too. Most countries get on with the job, we play politics.

How do you move them on & to where?  A big issue we already have in processing boat arrivals is that they destroy their identification.  Strangely many arrive with the exact same story as the boats before them & have thrown their passports (the ones they required to fly to Indonesia) overboard.  This means that its extremely difficult to determine with certainty who they are, where they are from & if their story has any legitimacy.  Even when they have been determined to not be genuine we have the expensive & exhaustive process of court proceedings to delay moving them on.  I believe the onus should be on the asylum seeker to show evidence of their claims. 

Maybe its niave of me but I would think that if I was genuinely from say Afghanistan & was fleeing persecution (what does that actually mean) then surely I would keep my passport to at least prove where I was from & allow some background checks to support my story.  Of coure on the other hand if I was simply a person looking to circumvent Australia's immigration queues then any documents that showed I wasn't from afghanistan & have no reason to seek asylum woudl be overboard in a flash. 

How do you move them on & to where?  A big issue we already have in processing boat arrivals is that they destroy their identification.  Strangely many arrive with the exact same story as the boats before them & have thrown their passports (the ones they required to fly to Indonesia) overboard.  This means that its extremely difficult to determine with certainty who they are, where they are from & if their story has any legitimacy.  Even when they have been determined to not be genuine we have the expensive & exhaustive process of court proceedings to delay moving them on.  I believe the onus should be on the asylum seeker to show evidence of their claims. 

Maybe its niave of me but I would think that if I was genuinely from say Afghanistan & was fleeing persecution (what does that actually mean) then surely I would keep my passport to at least prove where I was from & allow some background checks to support my story.  Of coure on the other hand if I was simply a person looking to circumvent Australia's immigration queues then any documents that showed I wasn't from afghanistan & have no reason to seek asylum woudl be overboard in a flash. 

i'm sure everyone in afghanistan has a passport.

They are definitely the only two choices.

See the difficulty of trying to get only a few people to agree, now add to that number a full political party, then add all the people in all the parties, now add the number of people who live in Aus.

A solution may seem easy to you but not all will agree with it.

I don’t know what the answer is but I agree that Abbot’s government is playing a dangerous game with people’s lives.