Stringer Thread II - 10,000 posts was Not Enough

BT’s a buffoon and he doesn’t try to be something’s he’s not: a footy intellectual. I can respect that.

Having said that, he makes good comments when he’s on Talking Footy (the few times I catch that show).

I know this sounds stupid but I feel like our midfield is going to be a revolving door next season with Orazio, Stringer, Smith, Tippa, Goddard, McGrath, Daniher, Bellchambers and Parish constantly having stints in the middle and then resting up forward and back.

Maybe our game plan is to constantly be changing our mids at the stoppage to confuse the shiz out of the opposition.

With Smith and BIG BOI BEGLEY rotating through.

30 goal games are back on the cards.

5 Likes

The fact slobbo Robinson and Carowhine Wilson are the chief football writers of our two biggest newspapers is an even greater blight!

9 Likes

Stringer’s best definitely ahead of me. For a start I think he was played out of position by the Bulldogs because of their need for a decent forward. For mine he always played his best football playing through the middle, and we have the luxury of doing that much more than the Dogs.

Secondly, he’s obviously been taking the field under difficult circumstances the last season. You’d have to think that must settle down, and with a mature coaching group to guide him reckon he will knuckle down. With all the adverse publicity about him this is a wake-up call.

If there’s a third reason it’s simply that he’s young enough that his best football should be in front of him.

easily

and this might sound strange but Campbell Brown is actually pretty reasonable to listen to as well.

4 Likes

Sadd to Smith to STRINGER GOAL!!!

Well, the modern game is all about as many mids as you can going through and is what we are aiming for, a shitt load of them rotating, and yes, it does tend to have that. effect.

1 Like

If this wake up call of his wife leaving him and the dogs dumping him has the correct effect on his mentality to turn it around, look the ■■■■ out.
You would think they have paired him up with a Goddard and Ambrose from day 1 to get the best out of his mind and give him an aerobic base to beat.
Will be elite mid next year. Easily.

Get out.

1 Like

All TV commentary tends to suck IMO, … not just because of the over hyped callers and idiot so called experts like Ling, but mainly because they spend so much time NOT calling the game, and instead waffling on about pies they ate, etc, or puerile “in” jokes with subtle sexual innuendo etc, especially when they get a bit bored with the game.

They figure we can see it, so they don’t need to call it unless there’s a chance of a goal, so they can just waffle & make pathetic attempts at humour, or ramble incessantly about minutiae.

That’s why the ultimate is to synch up your fave Radio team with the TV, because they have to keep calling the game, as from their perspective, their audience aren’t watching.

So instead of wondering who that young guy is/was on the opposing team that just did something amazing while BT talks about some banal tidbit of crap, you actually get to know who he is!!

DAAN RadioDelay, … an AFL watchers best friend…

https://www.daansystems.com/radiodelay/

You’re Welcome …

5 Likes

Ambrose has a few training partners for this preseason.

Francis, Stringer. Who else can be paired with him?

3 Likes

I love free-range Brian.

1 Like

You’re not wrong. I remember seeing an old game from like 20 years ago and all they had was one play-by-play commentator and two special comments guys (perhaps it was two play-by-play and one special comments) and it was good. Special comments only took up the time when time-off was called (i.e. when there was a ball up, throw in, etc) and they mainly focused on calling the play.

Was actually professional sounding.

6 Likes

Wasn’t the Fields trade for Terry and Neale? Pretty sure Anthony played for the Swans and was traded much later.

2 Likes

I don’t understand how the networks all of a sudden decided the audience wanted “funny” commentators who had “witty anecdotes” instead of people calling the game as they see it and providing context for the game. Cricket is the same, I don’t want boofhead larrikins commentating, I want proper analysis!

13 Likes

Those highlights where he breaks away from a centre-clearance and launches from 60m are mouthwatering - we have seen very little of that in recent years.

1 Like

I blame Rex Hunt.

3 Likes

1 Like

I much prefer the guys who call the Big Bash to the guys on Ch 9…can’t cop Slater, Clarke or Healy. But Punter, Gilly, Flemo, Junior et al are great.

Can’t cop Ling or Russell. Don’t mind BT. Bruce is a parody of himself.

6 Likes