Substandard training report (the report, not the training) Friday 13th May, Etihad

Who the hell is this?

JoeDan on the other hand was spraying them. Either he poked them to the left and they stayed left or he went hard at the goals and they swerved right.

To have players train like they intend to play the skills they are lacking in is all we can ask for. Looks like JD is achieving this.

fixed

don't be so hard on yourself bud, any training report is great. Thanks for making the effort to post what you saw.

Question for you- when Joe was practicing goal kicking, was anyone watching him or giving him advice or guidance?

As Goon Squad mentioned, Skippy stood the mark and then talked him through the kick. Joey was really focusing on ball-drop, to the point where you wonder if he’s starting to overthink it. He hardly missed at all when he screwed the ball back around the body or even banana kicked from the boundary - it’s the straight set shot that’s troubling him.

I used to have a problem where my golf shots would slice off the tee. If I tried to compensate by lining up towards the left side of the fairway then the opening up of my stance exacerbated the slice. Joey has the same sort of problem - he’s clearly compensating for the swing and this is making the problem worse. Jason Dunstall was the best shot at goal I ever saw, and he walked in straight, dropped the ball straight over his foot, and kicked through the centre of the ball. Joe needs to simplify his kicking. He runs in to the left and swings his foot across the line - needs to take a page out of the Dunstall book.

one problem alot of players suffer from is once they get outside of roughly 40 meters, they tend to arc their run up to get more distance and power.

Daniher does this too and he struggles to re adjust from one to the other as you allude too. he’ll try to compensate for the hook he gets from a 50 meter set shot on a 20 meter one, but then he’s running straight at that point, so it ultimately misses.

I don’t know what they are doing to help him, but it all comes down to repitition, like any skill.
if as an example (which i’m sure they are doing more, well god i hope so) if he’s only having 15 shots at goal after training, he’ll never get better

He should prolly be having at a minimum 100 shots at goal everyday, just so he learns how to go through the motions and just kick the ball at the goals.

Isn’t it 10,000 hours to be a champion in a sport?

Maybe he should try kicking for goal with his right foot.

Who the hell is this? https://i.imgur.com/74O9jF9.jpg

Looks like…a…red-headed Mandela?

Missed your elbow action in the Elsty pub last Saturday, HH

Report went from sub standard to hilarious.

What number was Cooney wearing?

Madame Tussaud!! :#

don't be so hard on yourself bud, any training report is great. Thanks for making the effort to post what you saw.

Question for you- when Joe was practicing goal kicking, was anyone watching him or giving him advice or guidance?

As Goon Squad mentioned, Skippy stood the mark and then talked him through the kick. Joey was really focusing on ball-drop, to the point where you wonder if he’s starting to overthink it. He hardly missed at all when he screwed the ball back around the body or even banana kicked from the boundary - it’s the straight set shot that’s troubling him.

I used to have a problem where my golf shots would slice off the tee. If I tried to compensate by lining up towards the left side of the fairway then the opening up of my stance exacerbated the slice. Joey has the same sort of problem - he’s clearly compensating for the swing and this is making the problem worse. Jason Dunstall was the best shot at goal I ever saw, and he walked in straight, dropped the ball straight over his foot, and kicked through the centre of the ball. Joe needs to simplify his kicking. He runs in to the left and swings his foot across the line - needs to take a page out of the Dunstall book.

one problem alot of players suffer from is once they get outside of roughly 40 meters, they tend to arc their run up to get more distance and power.

Daniher does this too and he struggles to re adjust from one to the other as you allude too. he’ll try to compensate for the hook he gets from a 50 meter set shot on a 20 meter one, but then he’s running straight at that point, so it ultimately misses.

I don’t know what they are doing to help him, but it all comes down to repitition, like any skill.
if as an example (which i’m sure they are doing more, well god i hope so) if he’s only having 15 shots at goal after training, he’ll never get better

He should prolly be having at a minimum 100 shots at goal everyday, just so he learns how to go through the motions and just kick the ball at the goals.

Only if you buy into the Gladwell theory, which lacks much in the way of evidence.

Cadam Aooney

Basically a massive fire has gone through EFC.
You can choose to focus on the old burnt gum trees, or instead see the new green sprouts emerging from the ashes.

That is pretty much the two choices.

Thanks for the report HH, you did well.

Like Hambo, will be on Elbow watch tomorrow.

Maybe he should try kicking for goal with his right foot.

Would break the negative circuits in his brain!

I do wonder what they’ve done to him. Some people love the analytical approach and benefit from it, but some will struggle with it.

Some will benefit from hours reviewing intricate details on video, some won’t. I worry that Lloyd is so unlike Joe that he just doesn’t understand that what worked for him won’t work for Joe, and Joe is continuing to try and implement those techniques even when they’re not right for him.

Anyway, i recommend Joe picks up something / everything by Dr Bob Rotella. Sure it’s nothing to do with footy, but all of the principles apply.

KB will hate this, but they need to take another leaf out of basketballs book, in basketball shooting mechanics should not change when shooting from 5 feet or 30, if you have to change up your mechanics to make the distance then it is not your distance, they should be making Joe take a hundred shots from 20 put directly in front repeating the exact same thing every time and then make him so exactly the same thing happens as he moves further out.

Plus I think him spending 20 minutes shanking kicks from 40 does absolutely nothing to help him.

KB will hate this, but they need to take another leaf out of basketballs book, in basketball shooting mechanics should not change when shooting from 5 feet or 30, if you have to change up your mechanics to make the distance then it is not your distance, they should be making Joe take a hundred shots from 20 put directly in front repeating the exact same thing every time and then make him so exactly the same thing happens as he moves further out.

Plus I think him spending 20 minutes shanking kicks from 40 does absolutely nothing to help him.

I agree with what you’re saying - but just because Joe took a few kicks, and did badly, today at training, does not mean that’s all he does about it all week. You didn’t say that, I know - but pointing it out anyway.

I’ve said it before, & I don’t know if he’s tried it, but he should do some visualisation exercises.

They work.

Joe will kick 4.0 tomorrow. Bookmark it!

Joe missed pretty much every shot he took in practice before Anzac Day.

If he isn’t kicking them under no pressure then he sure as hell won’t be kicking them under pressure.

Certainly doesn’t fill you with confidence that he can’t complete the skill he is paid to do even at training. And his own confidence would be rocked at the moment also.

Report went from sub standard to hilarious.

What number was Cooney wearing?

Could see from the photo, but it looked like a 7

personally think it just comes down to planning and practice. sure in a perfect world every player shouldn’t change their run up from 20 - 50.
But from our recent memory and maybe even the comp I can only ever remember Lloyd and lucas of recent years being the players capable of kicking for goal from 40+ meters out and not arcing. (obviously there may be others i just can’t think of them on the spot).

IMO just all comes back to planning and practice. If you have to arc a bit to get more distance then no point IMO saying no don’t do that, just run straight and drop it 5 meters short.
learn what happens when you arc, plan for it, and practice.

Just all comes back to how much they want him to improve it and how much they make him try to do so. like i said if it’s only 15 odd kicks after training then people should get used to this being the best he’ll be. If they are taking other steps, hopefully it works out in the long run.

What Joe should do is start trying to kick points through the left behind.

I’m not saying he should aim there to try and kick goals. That’s a totally different thing and when he does that he ends up kicking it straight where he aims and therefore missing the goal.

He should aim there to try and kick points through there. As we all know, he’d rarely hit his target, but there would be plenty of times when he’s hook it through for a goal. Of course, he’d be disappointed about missing where he aimed, but everyone else would be happy.