Succession Season 4 Spoiler THREAD (May contain traces of spoilers)

It’s probably what should happen from here, the way things are set up.

But question; is that a satisfying ending?

1 Like

Depends if you want expectations confirmed or subverted. I can’t really decide on this one.

I’m tipping it might be a Sopranos ambiguous ending with things left unresolved. Succession with Roystar has to be resolved but the 3 siblings maybe not.

Depends on what you’re defining as “satisfying”.

Personally, I think there needs to be a certain level of real-world credibility. Given the narrative and what we know of the characters most scenarios would be justifiable. One exception: a Greg triumph. This fails the real-world test.

I just think an ending where the kids all lose, and a S3 blow-in like Mattson triumphs over all, isn’t really that satisfying. (although, it depends how they do it of course.)

I agree, it will be somewhat ambiguous of an ending, but there needs to be a defined person left ‘wearing the crown.’ That’s what the whole show is about, essentially.

Maybe it will be Gerri?

2 Likes

Yeah, lol me and some friends where talking about shows like succession, and how I get them wrong in terms of what I think reflecting what fans want.
I’d be very satisfied if all the kids lost, because I think they are horrible people, and it always unravels for them, and I find that satisfying. but fans often root for morally terrible characters and my partner has soft spot for them ( I do too, but I’m not rooting for them)
I was disappointed with the soprano’s for this reason. In the end Tony should have got his, because he was a bad guy, but I think the producers realised that fans loved Tony and didn’t want to outrightly say he died, so they found this compromise and made the ending ambiguous.
I hope that doesn’t happen with succession, either they lose or they win, and they should make decision and make it explicit.

2 Likes

I totally get what you mean.

It’s just that Mattson is probably the biggest POS of the lot.

So if I’m going to root for a terrible person, it’s gonna be for one / some that I’ve followed for 4 seasons.

I’d be very satisfied if they all lost, and somebody like Gerri ends up a winner.

3 Likes

The sopranos ending isn’t ambiguous at all. He is clearly killed. You just don’t explicitly see it.

Gerri defs. I’m rooting for Gerri.

They pulled a punch though, it’s implied he is killed in the cafe, but they chickened out doing it.

I think this is maybe we’re I view it differently, as for me there is no real crown to speak of. In most of these situations the kids stuff it up and ruin the company if they take over. James packer still Uber rich but couldn’t hold his fathers kingdom together.

For me if the kids fail and lose the kingdom it’s acceptable. As long as they lose it in line with their traits. Kendall is to timid to take it, Roman has the balls but is incapable of building allies and Shiv was allways too insecure to try so doesn’t have the skills

I can see an ending where Roman try’s to block the deal with Mencken while Kendall tries to buy gojo with Frank. Maybe both of them are getting played by Mencken and Mattson.

But he did still inherit it.

If any of the kids end up with it, they’ll fark it up. But it is called Succession.

But this story really could still go anywhere, even with only two eps left.

Goddam this is a good show. I haven’t been invested in a final series like this for quite some time.

3 Likes

100 percent. It’s so good. I’m so glad they are pulling the pin early though rather than letting it go too long.

1 Like

Yep, leave the viewers wanting more.

Gosh, imagine a season 8 or 9 of this, where Greg starts a tequila company, Tom sells used cars and Roman finally marries Gerri.

5 Likes

Haha, yeah, and I already thought season 3 was alittle derivative of season 1.

Is that what’s already happening with the “some people just can’t cut a deal” line? He’s turned his back on a better country for his daughter, cos Nate/Jimenez couldn’t support him, and Mencken has cut a deal.
Whether he comes out on top though, god knows, they could take this in many directions.

What if…. somehow…. Connor came out on top.

5 Likes

I’m assuming that next weeks episode will be the funeral and then there will be a time jump where America is falling apart due to Mencken and it just chaos on the streets.

Quite like the idea that Gerri is the one going forward. Probably in conjunction with Frank & Karl. The real adults in the room. Succession and continuity in one stroke.

No idea how this may eventuate. She’s not had a lot of screen time this season. More time for backroom maneuvering, perhaps.

Second last ep. At 75 minutes a bit longer than usual.

Mostly taken up with the funeral, with a few scattered snippets as to what might occur next week. Not a whole lot more clarity, though.

Roman’s meltdown probably no surprise, no doubt realising he won’t be “the one” going forward.

Did I get it correctly that Mattson is playing Shiv and Ken off against each other for CEO? Likely to be a fiery showdown, if so.

The whole 30 seconds of him giving his speech is some of the best acting you’ll ever see. Surprisingly gut wrenching.

9 Likes