Supporter Family Tree

It’s all good 2 thirds are dead prior to 2012

Dad’s Dad - Glasgow Rangers (played with them apparently).
- no VFL club allegiance after immigrating.

Mum’s Dad and Mum - both Carlton (lived a drop kick from Princes Park)

Dad - Essendon because Reynolds, Hutchison, Coleman etc etc etc

Mum - Carlton

Brother and two sisters - Essendon

Youngest sister - Carlton (sympathised with Mum)

Wife - ex Melbourne (saw the light very early in the relationship)

Both sons - very Essendon

Daughter - casual Essendon (lives in the USA now)

2 Likes

Grandmother#1, born Essendon, lived and died in Essendon, team Essendon.
Grandmother#2, born Essendon, lived and died in Essendon, team Essendon.
Granfather#1, born Port Melbourne, married, lived and died in Essendon, team Essendon.
Grandfather#2 born Kensington, married, lived and died in Essendon, team Essendon.
Father (+4-siblings) born Essendon, team (all) Essendon.
Mother (+2-siblings) born Essendon, team (all) Essendon.
Cousins x14, born and raised in Essendon and Niddrie, team (all) Essendon.
Myself (+3-siblings) raised Oak Park, team (all) Essendon.
Wife (ex) born and raised in Essendon team Essendon.
Children x3 raised in Taylor’s Lakes (until divorce) team Essendon.
Grandchildren x5 raised in Melb’s far Eastern suburbs, team (all) Essendon - although I’m not convinced yet with the two year old and he could be soon excommunicated and evicted if he doesn’t shape up.

8 Likes

Parents and earlier were all English. Dad follows FCFC (because he lived in Carlton for a couple of years as a kid when my Grandad was posted here in Aust) but he’s not at all passionate.

I grew up in an Essendon zone (a few hundred metres from Paul Salmon’s house). Dreaming of playing for Essendon’s Little League team (which was always picked from schools in their zone), they seemed the logical team to support.

My sister is THE Norf supporter so I suppose she must’ve dated @scotty21

Wife is Scottish and couldn’t give a rat’s tossbag.

Daughter is thus far ambivalent (we’ve been so ■■■■ that I haven’t managed to convert her).

1 Like

Yea but no one would take him.

Every female on one side of the family is Geelong, every male on that side pretty much Essendon.

Mum was a lukewarm melb supporter like her mum, her dad Essendon and it was he that instilled what I was pretty happy with until recently. He died horribly from Parkinson’s and when he couldn’t move anymore I used to tell him the scores and describe the game. They reckoned he may have been able to hear it so I just kept doing it up until he passed away.

It was the least I could do. I’m glad he hasn’t had to watch the last 20 years.

Dad never had much time for footy and was sort of hawthorn and FC, but I think that was just to pss me and my brother off during the 80s. I remember him showing me the front page of the age in mid 84 with a close up of a guys head coming out of a pool with goggles on and the headline rang something like “Dons need a fish out of water” or something, and we had to figure out who it was.

Obviously it was Alan Ezard.

Now I’ve got my son involved. And I feel bad for him.

2 Likes

Firstly I’m sorry to hear, secondly I find it sad that you consider death less depressing than being an Essendon supporter.

Dads dad - grew up in Deniliquin NSW and didn’t have a VFL team. Followed Coburg in the VFA.
Dad’s mum - grew up on a farm in Gippsland and didn’t have a VFL team. Watched footy on the TV all the time though. Seemed to be happy for us when Essendon won.
Dad - DGAF about footy, but was happy for us when we won.

Mum’s dad - Lived in Brunswick West, close to Moonee Ponds. Essendon member from way back. Mates with one of the trainers (whose name, believe it or not, was Ronald McDonald).
Mum’s mum - Essendon member from way back. Grew up in Kensington and Ascot Vale, so I’d like to think my great-grandparents also followed Essendon back in the day, but who knows.
Mum - Grew up in Ascot Vale/Brunswick West. Essendon member until she was married. Was at John Coleman’s first game.

Brothers - All 3 of us Essendon.

Kids - Both Essendon (as if they had a choice!)

Wife - was an FC member when we met. Put a stop to that foolishness and slowly turned her to Essendon.

5 Likes

Thanks @scotty21 for this thread, I’ve got a slow day at work and this thread is the best thing I’ve done all day.

3 Likes

Doesn’t add up, your paternal grandfather would have been born in about 1750, so not sure he’d have held on long enough to be a life member…

2 Likes

I never said that, was just an optimistic view that they didn’t have to witness the last 10 years being Essendon supporters.

1 Like

I can actually add all Uncles, Aunties and Cousins on Dad’s side were/are Essendon as well, we never had a rouge on that side.

• Grandad’s Team (Dad)
    Scum supporter but not hardcore, he liked the Eagles.
  • Grandma’s Team
    Just liked a game of footy. Supported the winner.
  • Dad’s Team
    St Kilda.
  • Mum’s Team
    Essendon.
  • Siblings Team(s)
    Sister liked Essendon then changed to the Scum because she got taken to a game one day. Doesn’t watch footy anymore.
    Sister was hardcore Scum supporter, doesn’t watch footy anymore.
  • Spouses Team
    Essendon.
    Mum’s Dad & Mom didn’t watch AFL.
    He died before I was born. Grandma liked Glasgow Rangers.

No reds under the bed?

Grandpa - notionally Collingwood, no huge interest
Grandma - no discernable interest, but strangely loved Darren Bewick!
Pop - fanatically Collingwood , rabidly, uncompromising.
Nana - strongly Collingwood, probably no choice!
Uncle 1 - Collingwood. Fiercely. A story - he took my teenage self to the Waverley mudpit game that we lost by 2 points in the rain. He produced a bottle of frozen lemonade(!) that he sagely -complete with knowing tapping of the nose - informed me he had laced with Gin(!!) “to keep us warm”. Pretty sure the Gin never froze so … He was a strange lad, alas now deceased but I recall him fondly. Probably fortunate Collingwood won that one though, wouidve been a long and freezing walk home from out there!
Uncle 2 - another fiercely Collingwood nutter. Less fondly.
Dad - notionally Essendon but no strong interest.
Mum - fanatically Collingwood, literally locked me out of the house one day when Essendon beat her mob in the early 80’s.
Sister - Kangaroos, but it’s very much theoretical.
Daughter - Essendon
Daughter - Essendon
Son - Essendon.

3 Likes

Maybe a number 8

How is it you come across so rational and intelligent then?

Theres scant opportunity for the helix to twist in any sensible direction from what you’ve just described

1 Like

All this time…and now the truth comes out !!!

My eldest sister started with St Kilda - we lived there and most of her friends followed them - but she quickly realised what my brother and I realised - if you want to go with Dad, we’re lunching at the grandparents’ in Moonee Ponds and going to the footy.

2 Likes

Me - EFC
Mum - EFC and Crows
Dad - Crows
Brother - Tigers
Sister - Fark Carlton
Nephew 1 - Port
Nephew 2 & niece - Crows