Sydney's Forward Line

this underlies how badly we got farked in the draft re: list management. Apeness would be super handy about now.

thurlow hasn't played vfl for ages it seems. this really hurts structurally.

i still think the best bet is to bring berg in as 3rd tall defender, hurely fwd, carlisle rotates with ryder but as little as possible.

We are basically one injury away from being completely fire trucked for the year.

The same argument all along though, without Ryder or Belly, relying on a 3rd string ruckman not capable of being in the first 2 at our club, let alone any other would not save us from being ******, we would still be so even with a recognised back up back up ruckman.

All we've heard for years though is, oh Ryder should ruck more, and the majority of the game, well now he gets to do it for the whole game, and people are all of a sudden

Bigger concern for mine is Daniher's out. At the very least he was an actual second option, even for a little bit to take the sole focus of Carlisle. Now every man and his dog will know where the ball is going to go pretty much all of the time. Sydney esp will no doubt have at least 2 -3 players around him at all times.

Need to think of a solution to that problem quick smart.

agreed on all of that. that is why berg comes in and hurls goes fwd.

fark i'd laugh if he did and kicked a big bag.

I'd love Stein to get a go, but who would he realistically be able to match up on in the Sydney forwardline ?
Tippett.......nah, not big enough.
Buddy......LOL, that wouldn't be very nice in your first game.
Sam Reid.....still probably too tall and strong overhead.
Goodes......possibly
If he came in, he'd probably have to play forward, as the match ups should be......
Tippett/Hooker
Buddy/Hurley
Reid/Fletch
Goodes/Hibberd

How come Sydney get away with being so tall in attack?

this underlies how badly we got farked in the draft re: list management. Apeness would be super handy about now.

i still think the best bet is to bring berg in as 3rd tall defender, hurely fwd, carlisle rotates with ryder but as little as possible.

We are basically one injury away from being completely fire trucked for the year.

The same argument all along though, without Ryder or Belly, relying on a 3rd string ruckman not capable of being in the first 2 at our club, let alone any other would not save us from being ******, we would still be so even with a recognised back up back up ruckman.

All we've heard for years though is, oh Ryder should ruck more, and the majority of the game, well now he gets to do it for the whole game, and people are all of a sudden

Bigger concern for mine is Daniher's out. At the very least he was an actual second option, even for a little bit to take the sole focus of Carlisle. Now every man and his dog will know where the ball is going to go pretty much all of the time. Sydney esp will no doubt have at least 2 -3 players around him at all times.

Hurley/Carlisle debate swings in new direction!

Not so concerned about Fletch with tall forwards.   We have to rely on the small to medium defenders for the smaller guys.   Dont ever put Fletch on a small player again ( except in emergencies ) and ensure spoils are punched wide..

like a bean bag

Has anyone ever considered moving Fletch forward in the last 21 years? Ever?

Yeh.  Set up a walking frame for him 60-70 metres out and get him to launch some  torps at the big sticks  :lol:

Who will be the second ruck? I’ll go with Ambrose.

I'd love Stein to get a go, but who would he realistically be able to match up on in the Sydney forwardline ?
Goodes......possibly
If he came in, he'd probably have to play forward, as the match ups should be......
Tippett/Hooker
Buddy/Hurley
Reid/Fletch
Goodes/Hibberd

Have wondered the same myself.

Buddy and Goodes are both more mobile that your average key talls, but looking at the stats, they've actually conceded more rebound 50s from opponents than any other team this year.

Having the 2nd highest overall inside 50s per game probably contributes to that, but perhaps it suggests we can hurt them on the rebound if we can bring it to ground in their forward 50 and get it to Winders, Hibbo and Dempsey (and Trav!).  

Even then, they spread defensively a lot better than almost every other team, so our movement through the middle of the ground and into the forward line will need to be precise. We'll need guys like Hepp, Zacka, Goddard and Myers to be hitting targets. 

Gregory.......let the transition begin.

Who will be the second ruck? I'll go with Ambrose.

Yes  worth a try ,  but not at the centre bounce.

Such a vital game, we can almost notch up a top 8 spot if we beat Sydney and people are talking about bringing in hardy, stein and pears? Two havent even played a game this year! Hardy might be a outside chance but fk me, pears and stein? Lol. Can jusy imagine one of them on tippett/reid/buddy

How bad is howlett’s ankle? Minimal changes to the side, melksham comes back in for howlett/jackson merrett and thats about it. Dell full game to provide another scoring option.

Such a vital game, we can almost notch up a top 8 spot if we beat Sydney and people are talking about bringing in hardy, stein and pears? Two havent even played a game this year! Hardy might be a outside chance but fk me, pears and stein? Lol. Can jusy imagine one of them on tippett/reid/buddy
How bad is howlett's ankle? Minimal changes to the side, melksham comes back in for howlett/jackson merrett and thats about it. Dell full game to provide another scoring option.

perhaps you didn't notice but against the dogs we had significant structural issues which nearly costs us the game. we were a tall short up fwd and rotated ryder with hooker and ambrose.

we are going to have to roll the dice at selection and take a risk with somebody who can go some way to fixing the problems the side experience on sunday.

obviously it is less than ideal but we will have to make do.

I’d prefer Hooker on Buddy, but if Tippett plays, that’s not really possible unless Fletch has a crack at him.

We need an extra tall, whether that’s Pears, Stein or Thurlow remains to be seen. But one will play. Surely.

Goodes......possibly
Tippett/Hooker
Buddy/Hurley
Reid/Fletch
Goodes/Hibberd

because goodes is a dual brownlow winning midfielder? He's no liability when the ball hits the deck.

Daniher will play against the Swans.

I'd prefer Hooker on Buddy, but if Tippett plays, that's not really possible unless Fletch has a crack at him.
We need an extra tall, whether that's Pears, Stein or Thurlow remains to be seen. But one will play. Surely.

hooker - buddy

fletch - tippett

berg - reid

pig - goodes

bags - mcglyn

licha/demps - parker/jack

I'd prefer Hooker on Buddy, but if Tippett plays, that's not really possible unless Fletch has a crack at him.
We need an extra tall, whether that's Pears, Stein or Thurlow remains to be seen. But one will play. Surely.

hooker - buddy
fletch - tippett
berg - reid
pig - goodes
bags - mcglyn
licha/demps - parker/jack

A tall, stand-and-spoil match up like Tippett might be one of the few match ups Fletch still has in him.
Back him in.

Carlisle on Franklin

you know you want to see it.
You know Carlisle'd win too.
Hurley would go fwd, kick a bag, have you seen his form lately?
I'm dreaming aren't I.

Our back 6 is good enough to do the job, so long as we put pressure on their ball movement. Cannot afford to let them monster us in the contested ball. Need big games out of Hocking and Myers if we're going to be a chance. 

Hooker on Buddy, Carlisle on Tippett is the ideal match up, but not even I would move Carlisle from the forward line atm.

Find a way to cover Tippett, give Carlisle some tall support up forward, and work from there.