Sydney def Essendon: Do you want to talk about it?

Kelly took and held the ball in his hands after the siren and ran over the score line. As soon as he held it, it was a dead ball. Mrs Simfir said at the time that’s no score and I hope we don’t lose by a point.

It was because players were marking it on the goal line, smack bang between the goals. And the umpires would put them on ridiculous angles.

That heartbreaking loss was a combination of poor decision-making, unacceptable execution and to some extent, bad strategy. Certainly not bad umpiring.

I daresay it won’t happen again under John Worsfold. He’s too good a coach.

I envy all you guys who got to sleep it off already. I went to work straight after the game, stewed on it all night and couldn’t even have a drink until about two hours ago.

Bomberblitz - a community in mourning.

4 Likes

Nice invocation of Paul Keating there. I’m with those who think a loss here will help our steely resolve to stay in games.

Looking at the stats we should have been smashed, 31 less disposals (offset by getting 5 more handballs), less efficient disposal, were level on the inside 50’s but 6% less efficient, 14 less contested possessions, 16 less uncontested possessions, 17 fewer marks, 10 less contested marks (we only had 9 and Gleeson and Joe were top with 2 each), 3 less mark in forward 50 (we had 12), 5 less intercept possessions ( Hurls top with 13, Marty 2nd with 8), 5 more turnovers, 6 less clearances (we had 1 more centre clearance though!), 7 less hit outs.

The pressure of the game was showed up in inaccurate kicking and it is hard to call the Swans lucky for winning by 7 behinds. We also looked totally wasted at 3 quarter time so fading after being 3 goals up was more dramatic because of this, but I think this loss will make us even tougher, as will Parish coming back into the side.

I really think this season will come down to how many players we can keep fit. Last night any one of Hooker, Ambrose and Parish could have made the difference, as would have one more straight kick at goal (or one more decent kick out!)

Very frustrating, very annoying, but Sydney in Sydney, we actually did better than round 1 2015, with losing after being 41 points up in time on before 3/4 time.

1 Like

I got up at 4:30 am local time to watch the last 45 minutes.
Initially it was looking grim, then as we kicked goal after goal it was better and better.
19 points up, 5 minutes to go I thought it was well worth it.
Then…it happened. What a pezzo di merda
Gutted. I’m just sitting there in a silent house.
By then it was too late to go back to bed, so I stayed up and then I had to go to work.
In a way I was actually glad because 5:30 am was not a time to start drinking, which is what I felt like at the time.

4 Likes

This is progress. The first 6 rounds were at Brisbane levels of I50 differentials. We’ve tightened this up massively the last 2 months, winning it Vs WC and Port. We are on the right track.

4 Likes

Strangely enough the sun came up this morning. Last night that didn’t seem possible.

4 Likes

I disagree with “outplayed for most of the game”. The 1st half yes on points, certainly no knock out but Essendon had the better of the 2nd half, albeit for a few minutes there at the end. That was a better than decent performance in greasy conditions against a pretty good side. That they kept their shape for most of the second half and continued to play boldly deep into the last quarter was commendable. Lot to work with there.

3 Likes

9 matches left. Were good enough to win 8 of them.

Finals still on.

1 Like

No ■■■■ mate. We are trying to become a good side.

Pretty sure it was fantasia? They were highlighting this on fox footy after the game

Very disappointing loss

A huge improvement playing against a defensive set up.

What irks me the most about the game is the condition of the ground itself.

The grass was long and wet.

There had been no rain for days so this was intentional.
Z
There were no mowing lines, the ground was thick slowing everything down to suit the Swans game style.

I would have thought there would be a match standard length of grass apparently not.

Please explain AFL.

4 Likes

I don’t blame the umpires at all. However I did find most of their decisions confusing to say the least. I couldn’t work out what they were paying. To the extent that in the end I just tried to ignore them

We’ll be around that space. All will be forgiven :grinning:

1 Like

You reckon?

He cost us the ■■■■■■■ game with his usual “give it to me” ■■■■.

If you want to keep waving it through that’s your call, but you can’t expect others to.

I’m just hoping that by the end of the season we can learn 1 valuable lesson - kicking out to the same side of the ground over & over & over doesn’t, hasn’t & won’t work.

6 Likes

Season defining loss.

Will come home with wet (black and red) sail

Just saying

I woke during the night and had to work through if it was a bad dream. Like somehow surely we got a fist in and spoilt that last kick. But no. Then the hurt came again.

The hurt is good. Foster the hurt. Use the hurt. Extract revenge.