Sydney def Essendon: Do you want to talk about it?

I still think we would have been slight underdogs (in my mind).
I’m pretty sure we dealt with Carlton easily in the H&A, but that didn’t translate on Prelim Final Day.

There was no Hird or Lucas.
And don’t underestimate the hunger a team has after the way North lost in 1998 as hot favourites.

Safe to say, it would have been a far better GF than what Carlton dished up.
We’ll never know…unfortunately.

Damn, now I’m thinking about how close we were in 2001.
F*CK

1 Like

So my annual interstate footy trip was to Sydney on the weekend. During the day at the pub they were playing the 96 prelim. Once again we were 13 points up with not long to go. I was at the game with a bunch of Essendon fanatics. Sitting near some absolute campaigners from Sydney. Obviously I thought it was over when we were 19 points up. You can’t lose from there. To have it stolen on the siren has been the most emotionally devastating loss I have ever experienced as an Essendon supporter including the 96 and 99 prelims. Maybe its because I travelled interstate and was at the game, maybe its because i had already started celebrating in my mind, maybe its because i’m just irrational. But yeah I am still very depressed about this loss. I love Connor Mckenna but why he thinks its ok to stop running because you hurt your finger is beyond me. But there were so many other culprits, including an enormous amount of bad luck in those last few minutes.

1 Like

Lost to Brisbane by 1 point earlier in that final series as well. It was a very tough couple of weeks but in fairness, no one was going to beat the Kangarooteds that year…

1 Like

Whatever helps you sleep at night

You bet. The fancy gold cup would look ace in the pool room but ‘96 was the Roos’ year.

What part of 31 scoring shots to 25 do people don’t understand. We owned the swans for about a quarter of footy spread over both halves.

Yes we should have held on. But ■■■■ it doesn’t surprise me now in non emotional retrospect. Our mids were just ■■■■.

Daniher’s mark in front of Buddy and the look on Buds face is priceless. Almost as good as the four points though.

I want the Dees to beat up the Swans this week as much as our boys exercising our own demons at Etihad against Brisbane. It’s ■■■■■■ time for this season to sort itself.

Put us back in the frame for the 8 and banish Sydney.

Had to find this thread to vent.

Listening to the Collingwood v geeling game now and Harry Taylor has just been awarded a mark in the goal square against Dunn…after being caught behind and wrapping his arms around Dunn and throwing him out of the way. Commentators including Bartlett and our own Scotty Lucas go on to criticize the decision saying its a free to Dunn and always has been that way.

I couldn’t agree more. Sydney didn’t deserve this win. We were robbed bad. Vent over.

1 Like

Did we ever find out if our player carrying the ball over the line after the siren should have been a dead ball?

1 Like

Kelly.

My read on the rules is dead ball, but they aren’t specific.

Either way, robbed.

3 Likes

Stitched up so the swans could be sure to make it.

AFL would love nothing more than a local derby final in NSW, . and by hook or by fking crooked they’ll get it.

2 Likes

I was talking to my Dad about this last night. If you grab the ball as you’re running over the line and before you get there you throw it behind your head, is it a free for a throw after the siren? If an opponent grabs and kicks it do they get a goal? Or a point? No. So it shouldn’t be a point for rushed.

1 Like

F#$k Sydney!!! That loss still hurts.

Hope we meet them in the finals and bury them. That would go some way to helping forget that loss.

Get a grip, Sydney didn’t kick straight.

I think we might struggle to get close to them if playing this week.

Swans and Crows def top two sides by some margin to Richmond and Gws.

Geelong then everyone else throw a blanket over.

In saying Sydney, questionable depth. With no Rampe they were.farked.

We’ve got to make finals yet.

We also got a pretty good run with the umpires, two horrific decisions aside. I wouldn’t count on that being repeated.

Losing Rampe would be a problem. And if the unthinkable were to happen, I have two names for you. Alir Alir.

2 Likes

He’s not that good and Longtime doesn’t rate him either.

Swans are 3-4 goal worse side without Rampe and Grundy working together.

You know it’s true Diggers.

You may be right right but if Rampe isn’t available then they would pick Alir Alir.

What happened to Alir this year?

So as it turns out this result changed nothing. Even if we had won swans would still be 6th and us 7th, just with less fingernail biting

1 Like