Tac/u18 Thread

Something I have been wondering, is, how the probability of being drafted rises as an U18 player gets more exposure and acknowledgement by the industry gatekeepers…

That is:

• How many players are drafted on TAC exposure alone (or the interstate equivalent)?
  • How many players are drafted with the addition of champs exposure?
  • How many players are drafted with the addition of draft combine exposure?

It would just help me appreciate things like whether Parish’s non-invite to the combine is a really bad sign. Or how much effort to put into scanning the TAC level players such as those mentioned above…

Lewis Young was the highest picked player not to get a combine invite last year at pick 49. Getting a combine invite makes your chances of getting drafted pretty high. So yes Cassidy could still get drafted but it would be late or as a rookie going off past drafts and combine invites. Only 10 players from last years combine invites didn’t get drafted

1 Like

“On Saturday, North amassed a huge 43 disposals at 74.42 per cent efficiency, including 19 kicks and 24 handballs. North also took six marks, had 12 clearances, went inside 50 twice, rebounded four times and finished off with three goals. The balanced midfielder has been building as the season has gone on and his performance on the weekend was his clear best for the year.”

I thought the young Hirds had given Aussie rules away for soccer.

Hirst not hird

He does look and play like a Hird though…

:cry:

Hopefully Dodoro can do his magic and start a dodgy groin rumour for Jaidyn Stephenson. He killed it today

1 Like

Has been going well through the season too. His was one of the 5-6 names mentioned to me for the draft. Eastern have a bumper crop this year

1 Like

Guarantees
Stephenson
Cerra
Garner
Hayes
Ross
Moore
Mynott
Stoddart

Good chance
North
Brown

Will be another good year for Eastern

With school footy finished guns like Davies-Uniacke, Dow and Brander will be playing TAC.

I’ll be going to a triple header on Sunday with these teams
Bendigo
Gippsland
Murray
Geelong
GWV Rebels
Dandenong

Cassidy Parish and Lewin Davis will be 2 that ill give some summaries on with both potentially going to us in the rookie draft or VFL if neither make it

5 Likes

Cassidy Parish off to a good start for Geelong. Been awesome at the stoppages and despite taking too long to kick he found the target on a few occasions

2 Likes

The main knock on him is his kicking, … so that sounds promising.

His action is still a worry, slows down to a crawl when he needs to kick, he will be in trouble with the pace of AFL since he won’t have as much time as he does here. He copped a knock late in the game but he was still in Geelongs best 3 players today. Matthew Ling looks a star at half back and James Worpel was poor by foot but again attacked the ball hard

Lewin Davis hasn’t done much so far, showed some nice agility in one bit of play. Paddy Dow and Jarrod Brander have been a step above so far. Brander the best key forward in this draft

5 minutes into the third qtr of Bendigo vs Oakleigh, and the margin is 94 points. I’m going home, stuff this.

4 Likes

Hard game to get much out of, especially when you leave in disgust at a non-contest half way through the third. Oakleigh were just far too good. Bendigo were 100 points down at 3/4 time, and seem to have gotten a few cheapies late while the Chargers missed some opportunities in the last, or this would have been a 20 goal game.

Chargers were just too organised, too clean, too well drilled, and capitalised on opportunities in difficult conditions. Bendigo were thoroughly rattled after finding themselves 9 goals down at qtr time, and after that they all started trying to win it off their own boots, and any semblance of team play went down the tubes. Yeah, it was ugly.

Thompson my pick for BoG - the TAC record named him as 3rd best on ground, which is a pretty harsh call on a bloke who had a game-high 43 touches (38 effective), 5 tackles, and 5 goals 1 out of the middle. Dynamic, physical, hard-working 183cm inside/outside mid. Didn’t see him really sink the slipper - his kicking was mostly aimed at mid-range targets - but his disposal by foot was nonetheless effective in a changeable wind.

Higgins was lethal in the Chargers fwd line. I hoped to see him in the middle for a bit, but he played permanent fwd. Got on the end of a few kinda cheap ones running into space early, but as the game wore on he asserted himself as a leading target with powerful marking ability even with a spoiler riding him all the way in. Deadly shot on goal, judged the wind perfectly. Ended up with 7.

Rowley was one who caught my eye, bit of a mystery this bloke, he isn’t listed in the record at all (I only know who he was from the ‘selected teams’ page on the website) and his stats aren’t up for some reason. but I thought he had a good game. Taller mid, a bit more outside than in possibly, and not a line breaker, but i liked his vision and ability to spot up targets under pressure.

Roughsedge got a lot of it, bigger bodied inside guy, overager. Not sure whether he’s got all the weapons to make the step up though - he was sort of a coalface clearance guy and relied on his size/strength a lot, but he was a dominant clearance force in the context of the game.

Wooller is an interesting prospect. 193cm lead-mark forward with a decent sidestep and a few tricks when the ball hits the ground. Bit inaccurate, but rolled an ankle in the second and spent a lot of time off getting it seen to, so that might have affected him. Kicked 4.4. Not sure he’s for us, but someone will likely look at him.

Bugeja will be worth a look next year if he grows a bit, nippy agressive bloke with a little bit of breakaway pace and a knack for getting into good positions around the contest. Backup ruckman Griffiths impressed me with his poise and mobility even though looking at the stats he didn’t get much of it. First ruck Reeves (who i saw a bit of last year - see upthread for assessment of him) did himself what looked like a really nasty shoulder. Fingers crossed he’s ok.

For the Pioneers, cupboard pretty bare. Paddy Dow was a late withdrawal, I think he needs shoulder surgery. Annoying, I was looking forward to seeing this guy, he’s one of my sneaky bolter tips this year. brander was a non-factor, needed to be thrown down back to get him into the game though that might not have helped - Bendigo were getting it into their forward line reasonably regularly, they were just getting picked off every tinme they did. I thought O’Brien and Farrell both looked like mids with a bit of raw talent, but the Bendigo midfield unit was do dysfunctional it was hard to really evaluate them. Warde did a power of work and rucked nearly all day while giving up 8cm to both his opponents, I thought he was noteworthy for effort even though his impact probably didn’t quite reflect his tap stats…

8 Likes

Thanks HM.

That Paddy Dow bloke… shoulders are obviously completely rooted, with dodgy groins and a bad attitude. Apparently looks good in red and black.

Couple of blokes that would suit us in that write-up HM… thanks.

Thanks HM. What was Thompson’s speed like? Looking at his stats across the season he seems to get a fair bit of the ball, sounds like he’s a decent size and you said his kicking was all right, so it seems odd I’ve barely heard his name. Any obvious downside, or is he just not exciting enough to be generating hype? Or have I totally missed an ongoing Charlie Thompson conversation?

1 Like

They’re already talking about him as a top 5 pick. How much bolting can he do?

1 Like