Tac/u18 Thread

I’m sure we’d LIKE to hang on to pick 11, but we’d also LIKE a magic money tree in our back yard and for a magical flying talking rainbow pony to be our bestest friend.

the likelihood seems low, is what I’m getting at here.

But frankly, I reckon our recruiting record with late picks in recent years is actually BETTER than with, say, 2nd rounders, so if we’re trading quality in then I have no real issues going to the draft with only late picks. You wouldn’t want to do it every year, but we’ve had a few very high picks recently and pick 11 is hardly a guarantee this year, so I could deal. In or around our best 22 we,be got, lets see, tippa, fantapants, belly, hooker, Hartley, Bags, Ambrose, Gleeson, whonwere all very late picks, plus arguably blokes like Brown and recent draftees like Mutch and Draper who seem very promising.

Disco’s stated ‘2nd round picks are for taking risky upside guys’ philosophy pays off big time when it works (zerrett, though I’d argue he wasn’t much of a risk where he was taken), but also does seem to leave us with a lot of guys who don’t make it. Anyway, you simply can’t build a side only with first rounders. Unless you’re GWS or GC, you won’t have enough. You’ve got to back yourself to nail your late picks, or you end up with a few gun prospect swimming in a sea of mediocrity. Like GC.

2 Likes

Dodoro being at the young guns game(best of the worst of the draft) says to me they are already aware they will lose early picks and are looking at some diamonds in the rough. Also hear we have set up a private testing at our headquarters for 12 or so young players including a few from Calder.

1 Like

Agree that we have been great with late picks and yes, the triple s trade is a winner, but if we are forced to pick up 3 long shot speculative draftees who are all outside the top 50 on 2 year contracts then we are just clogging the list for 2 years.

If we can come out of this trade period with a second rounder somehow then maybe we target a mid, project tall and upgrade mcniece perhaps?

If we’re great with late picks then how is taking late picks just clogging the list?

getting Orazio, Hartley, Brown, Tippa, belly, Howlett, Ambrose, Gleeson, Baguley has been a good achievement when you look at games played.

And before people say Howlett is a list clogger (which he may be now) he has played 124 games which is outstanding drafting from his draft position.

2 Likes

I don’t really get how that’s a response to what I said, but I agree.

If we can come out of this trade period with the three Ss, without losing any important players, and somehow retaining not just our next years picks but a 2nd round pick this year, then Disco is a Machiavellian genius against which all others pale.

I’d love to see it happen, but I just don’t think it can or will unfortunately. We’re trying to trade in young, quality players, and those players current teams will want value for them. I’m generally a proponent of drafting over trading, but when guys who can play and who have a lot of footy left ask to come to your club, and your picks are middling in an only middling draft, then you have to give something up.

And I don’t agree that 2 year contracts for late picks are just locking in list cloggers. Guys who go late go late cos there’s stuff they have to work on. Obviously that’s going to take time, you can’t just expect them to be gunning it in their first year or they’d have been picked earlier. Mutch, Clarke, draper etc are prime examples. Not a single senior game among them in their draft year, but I don’t think anyone would call them list cloggers.

There’s a few options about what to do with our later picks. Depends a lot on list management, whether we make any more delistings, and whether we hang on to Francis and all our other players. I suspect we’ll promote a rookie, possibly mcneice, possibly Long, or possibly even Draper, especially if Leuenberger is cut or has ongoing injury issues. We may go into the draft with only 2 late picks live in the main draft. And I can deal with that.

2 Likes

It isn’t. I misread your post. Then did a bad job of editing due to parenting 2 girls under 7

1 Like

Your talking about leuneberger being cut… couldnt we put him in trade with dogs if we are looking at potentially offloading him.

So you would generally prefer to trade out all our early picks for lots of late picks on that basis? :thinking:

I doubt theyd want him now considering they just signed trengove. They also have English going into his second year which theyd expect to see some results from

I didn’t say that. In fact I didn’t offer an opinion at all beyond the opinion that what you said was seemingly contradictory. I was wondering what “great with late picks” means to you if taking three picks outside 50 is “just clogging the list for 2 years”.

Would I trade out early picks for lots of late picks? No. Would I be happy with our recruiting team only having a few late picks given their track record in the back end of the draft, because they traded our early picks for three instant best 22 players under 25? Every. ■■■■■■■. Day. Of. The. Week.

Agree, they are all good picks, but if you go through 2010/11/12 drafts there are loads of late picks who were list cloggers. Of course our strategy was for a list cleanout so was to be expected, but some of those were also compromised draft years so we had to go deep.

Looking back, our success rate with late picks was probably 20% in those years, later years where we didn’t go so deep were more like 40 or 50%. Maybe that is the risk we have to take to get triple s

My point was more that most of the time you don’t know whether a late pick is going to make it after only one year. You bring a late pick into the club knowing they’ve got big stuff to work on. They then spend a year working with the coaches remodelling their running action, or kicking action, or ball drop, or putting muscle on a 62kg frame, or discovering the joys of defensive running, or whatever - they often have to damn near learn how to play all over again.

Sure, a lot of late picks won’t make it. But you won’t know which ones they are unless you give them enough time, and I reckon 1 year is too short. Hell, in a lot of cases 2 years is too short. I’m pretty sure we gave Sean Gregory 2 years before delisting him. He never looked like it in that time - but this year I think he made the VFL team of the year or something, and might get re-drafted by someone in a year or two if he keeps that sort of performance up.

Obviously you can’t keep everyone around for 5-6 years just in case they’re a late bloomer, but writing blokes off as ‘list cloggers’ just cos they were drafted with a >30 pick or haven’t cemented a senior spot after one year is just wrong.

4 Likes

If we’re having to take late round flyers, I’m still hoping Cassidy gets a look in.

Please ignore the first half of the video where he muffs pretty much every kick and focus on the second half where he appears to be some kind of handball genius.

1 Like

Both Nick Hind and Alex Boyse dominated the state combines

Both topped the 20m sprint with Hind 2.92 and Boyse 2.98

Both came top 10 in the ability with Hind 8.36 and Boyse 8.52

Boyse was 2nd in the Standing Vertical Jump with 79cm

Both Boyse and Hind came top 10 in the Running Vertical Jump Boyse with 84.

Neither performed well in the Yo-Yo test.

Seb Williams the big winner out of TAC the young Sandringham midfielder/forward came 6th in the 20m sprint, 7th in standing vertical, 10th in running vertical and 3rd in the Yo-Yo test. On the small side but would be a worthy draftee.

Saad McKenna and Hind would take come catching

Is there a chance we would be looking at Cassidy Parish going into the draft at the 3rd round?, will he be around that mark?

He’d fit the inside mid need which would be nice

I don’t think we will be in the third round.