Tac/u18 Thread

I’ll get something up for you tomorrow, kind of watching a game right now :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

By what we need you would think Rankine and Walsh are the players we need the most. I think we really need to find a way to trade up to the top 3 to 4th pick.

I don’t think we are that desperate tbh. To get Walsh we will need a top 2 pick, Rankine could slide to us I think Freo and WBD are the biggest threats other than Port or Crows getting a pick before ours.

Is Rankine really the player we need? I’d have thought bulky, clearance winning inside mid is priority 1, not talented outside player. We have too many of them and not enough of the former.

Rankine is the flightiest flight risk that ever flown. 100% will be back in Adelaide after his two years are up

2 Likes

Is this legit or ‘dodgy groins’?

For months I’ve heard from people close to him at West Adelaide that he only wants to play in SA and has told some clubs already that he will be gone as soon as his 2 years are up if they select him

1 Like

It seems as if Crows are going to get desperate for top picks. Any chance we can leverage anything with that.

But maybe once Rankine gets over to us and in with all the Indigenous players on our list he’ll feel at home…

…oh wait.

2 Likes

Could the discussion around Rankine end up being the new Myers v Rioli lament?

Doubt it, because if we get that high where we can take him or walsh, we’re getting the best all around midfielder or the potentially change the tide with magic midfielder/smallforward.

edit: I hope recruiters that aren’t essendon stay enamoured with going tall players in the top 10 this year.

1 Like

I agree barnz. It’s probably a moot point given theyll be gone before our pick.

On another front. TD1 - RCDs numbers look concerningly low. I know you have commented about the lack of outside game being based on poor game sense and running patterns. That worries me. Do you have an opinion yet about who is better suited to our needs out of Hately and RCD? Assuming Smith is gone before our pick also. Aceman - Id also be interested in your opinion as a SA observer. HM - do you have a view yet?

Does he find space in the congestion when in possession or just use his physicality to blunt his way out against smaller u/18s? I think it’s an important difference when trying to work out how his game translates to senior AFL.

Barley uses physicality just mostly his smarts and quick first few steps

1 Like

I like the sound of that then. Classic on baller type??? More like a David Mundy than a Mathieson???

Would you think he’s a perfect second rounder option for us?

He may be too similar to the mids we already have developing with Clarke and Mutch so we may go for someone like Rowbottom/O Halloran who have some explosiveness about them. Liam Stocker is another powerful inside mid but at 183 might be too small, he has good leadership qualities and tough as nails

1 Like

We need a ruck men and a full back. No more midfielders unless they’re special.

I honestly think going talls in the first round is a waste.

1 Like

Yep. Plus no more talk of a big inside mid bull. We’re going fine inside the contest.
We need outside types. People can’t bag Colyer/Long on one hand and then say we don’t need outside types.

2 Likes

I disagree. Bellchambers and Draper is our succession plan, McKernan gives depth, we perhaps need a FF/Ruckman for development.

Fullback or Key defenders is probably our most stocked position Hartley, Brown, Ambrose, Z-T, Francis all outside our best 22; with Stewart and Lavender options for a switch of positions. Then we have Fletcher as a likely rookie option.

I think we have the luxury of being able to go for the genuine best available at the top of the draft.