Tac/u18 Thread

I still think we need both. got beat up a bit without stringers 5 minute cameos by the 2nd last side in the comp.

1 Like

I must admit Iā€™ve been blinkered by our need for some quality bigger inside mids. With all due respect to Clarke and Mutch, I think we still need to add an insider who could at least become a top 5-10 player at the club. Especially if those two lads dont progress despite the present hope for them.

Can you tell us more about OHalloran? Any insights a google search wont offer?

Worth the risk. If they want him back theyā€™ll have to trade for him anyway and by that stage he should have loads of value.

A good case can be made weā€™ve got more, and better, inside mids than outside.

Hepp/Lang/Parish/Myers/Begley/Clarke/Mutch
V
Zaha/Smith/McGrath/Guelfi/Colyer/ā€¦

Itā€™s not a no-brainer. Particularly if, as it seems to me, Rankineā€™s likely to play a bit of small fwd early in his career before transitioning to midfield: takes the Green spot in 2019

He is an outstanding leader with many saying the best they have seen in a long time at that level. Oā€™Halloran mostly played forward at the champs which is why his numbers where down but he took some nice overhead marks and a few of his kicks inside 50 where sublime. Decision making can sometimes be an issue and in congestion can sometimes just blaze away but his kicking technique is fine. He wills himself into the contest and he is a quality last quarter player who will left that extra cog to try and get his team over the line

2 Likes

Some notable performances yesterday in Oakleigh vs Calder

Oakleigh

1. Collier-Dawkins
    Now this was a very underwhelming performance that had me rethinking where I have him in my rankings. Again when he gets the ball he looks great and uses it well but the main knock is that he just canā€™t find a way to get involved in the play on transition, his leading patterns arenā€™t great and he doesnā€™t impose himself enough at the stoppages. Still plenty to look at for development but I canā€™t see a club taking a risk with a top 10 pick.

2. Ayton-Delaney
    Just a solid game in defence, despite a fre miss kicks was mostly kicking well and long, also defended well which was my main criticism of him in the champs

3. Kelly
    A few miss kicks aside he played a good rebounding role where he really pushed hard to receive on a few occasions, sat on Riccardi most of the game and I thought he got the better of him in most one on ones

4. Anderson
    Playing mostly forward he kicked 3 classy goals and presented well up the ground with his composure and ball use a standout. Really liked his leadership aswell which was evident watching on the boundary. Still my firm favourite for pick 1 next year

5. Rowbottom
    Another solid game from Rowbottom who won plenty of the hall and tackled well, I already know his strengths which he used at the clearances again with his clean hands and clearance work but a few things still to work on. Now his kicking technique was fine but I thought he tried to penetrate every kick he did inside 50 and it just didnā€™t work for the players he was kicking too, needed to give the ball some air which Iā€™ve seen him do before so itā€™s mostly a mental thing. Would also like him to run forward more to make himself more dangerous.

6. Rowell
    Another gun for next year his work rate and running was important on the wing, he is a hard one to find a comparison for, a natural wingman but he is hardly an outside player because he loves the contest. Kicking could be tidied up.

7. Bianco
    Another good player for next year he is a smart little footballer with good skills playing HB and a bit on the wing. Made a few mistakes but I like his clean hands and agility.

8. Williams
    Playing full forward he presented really well and just looked all class. If he can develop into a mid then he may be a pick 1 contender next year because he is very dangerous forward and can play down back with ease.

9. Gasper
    Gasper was the standout forward kicking goals from the boundary and from set shots with an important steading goal in the last quarter. Not someone on my radar going into the game but he certainly impressed with his goal nouse.

10. Ross
    Ross was extremely unlucky not to make the Metro squad and he proved that again today with a great performance in the midfield. Ross barely made a mistake all gme by hand and foot and he worked hard around the ground to win the ball. Speed and agility are his knocks which would see him go lower in the draft but he is a smart and skilful player so Iā€™d like a club to look at him as a rookie at least

Calder
8. Sholl
Another composed and skilful game down back, he again showed his smarts and leadership down back often setting up Calders rebounds. Again itā€™s his speed and size that keep him lower.

1. Bytel
    Ball magnet pure and simple he finished game with 23 disposals only playing the first half! Heard that he got one disposal in the 3rd but it must have been very early in the quarter because I didnā€™t stop him and he had a jacket on at 3QT. Kicking again let him down and somehow he kicks better on his left and on his right. He is a hard one to rate at this stage because itā€™s hard to see how much his back is giving him grief, he got some work on it in the 1st quarter so obviously still isnā€™t right.

2. Kemp
    Iā€™ve heard nothing about this kid but he really impressed me with his composure, movement and skill. He hurt his shoulder? in the 3rd quarter and missed the last quarter but what really impressed me was him getting back up after the contest which obviously hurt his shoulder a lot and then running hard to stop the oppositions rebound from defence. Great dedication from a kid under a lot of pain, not sure if he is a bottom ager or not since he wasnā€™t on the start of year squad but I was left impressed.

5 Likes

Back and ruckman are for the futures. Zerk might not make it and Bellcho, Hooker and Hurley arenā€™t at that age were we can afford not to have a back up plan.

From memory Bytel was talked up as a top 5 pick and now in recent times heā€™s slipped down.

There is nothing more obviously certain to me than Zerk making it.

1 Like

@THE_DON1, if we did a trade of ~8 to Adelaide for ~13 so that they can get Rozee, how much would that impact the quality of the player we could get? My impression from yours and other watchers comments is that itā€™s reasonably even for a bit after the top 6 prospects.

No doubt that Zerk will make it.
The only question is that with his playing style how long will said career be.

1 Like

So what exactly do we get in return that would be the sticking point for me, Draft is even from 8-19 at this stage but having 8 you get the potential for one of those top 6 to slide as they usually do. If they got 8 they would sent that and their over 1st for pick 1

1 Like

I guess this is where a bit of intel is going to become invaluable over the draft period. If the guy we like is out of favour and likely to drop outside say 15 due to the evenness of the draft then offloading to the crows is a smart deal.

Tigers did it with Reiwolt that year. Knew heā€™d slip to a later pick, downgraded for something else.

Reckon that will depend a lot on his team mates playing as a unit. If they help by protecting the zone and creating blocks he will be able to kamikaze for a long time. It not, heā€™ll get smashed too often.

Are we a chance at a combo of Hately OHalloran and Valente?

Iā€™d be trying to get Galluci for unders.

It would obviously depend on how we rate those picks and how desperately Adelaide want Rozee.

If we got Hately Iā€™d grab Oā€™Halloran over Valente because both Hately and Valente lack speed and our list needs more speed through the midfield. If we go a quicker player with our 1st then Iā€™d look at Valente with our 2nd

1 Like

They really rate Gallucci so no chance we get him for unders, would take us really convincing Gallucci of a spot and if we did it would mean playing him in our senior team which Iā€™m not sure he is best 22 with our best small forwards edging him out

Would McGovern + ours/their 1st be enough for the Pick 1/2?

They could then snag both Lukosius and Rankine, provided he did a Wingard and tanked his interviews.

Getting Rankine would help sweeten loosing Gallucci, similar sort of players.

Could try a pick swap Pick 8 = Gallucci and 19(21/22). If they could get Rankine @ 8, I think theyā€™d be able to get Rozee @ 13. So theā€™y end up with Lukosius, Rankine and Rozee and still be able to pick up a Sparrow/Munn/Smith @ 40 odd. Obviously a lot of wishful thinking in there, but a late 1st would be a good pick in this draft and I really rate Gallucci would give us some insurance for Fantasia.

I suppose when I said ā€œundersā€, I didnā€™t mean for like a third rounder. I just meant cheaper than youā€™d normally get a promising young player with 2 years under their belt and getting games in a good side. So maybe our second rounder plus the upgrade.

Given our small forward woes, wouldnā€™t he get a game, and in the future transition into the midfield? At the moment only Raz and Walla are locks as small forwards, with everyone else either injured, out of form, or on the fringe of being delisted.