Tac/u18 Thread

please don’t go a key forward with our first pick.

how about a cheeky half back flanker to cure what ails ya?

3 Likes

whats their wing potential like?

I’d say given a 5 year apprenticeship on a flank there’s a moderate chance he can make the switch

Hipwood would be an AA CHB if he played at a club with no good defenders so he compares well to Ben King. I think Hipwood is more skilled in general where as the Kings are better than him overhead and once they put on size will be much better contested marks.

1 Like

I hold the belief that most good key forwards would make great key defenders, such are the demands of being a forward

2 Likes

Not many that have only seen Hipwood play AFL know of his form as a defender in the 18s, I remember one championships game where he had 30 touches playing CHB and looked like a hybrid of what Hurley and Rance are now.

I have yet to see Max King play down back but like Daniher he just simply plays too well up forward, he is a natural.

1 Like

Assuming the kids we have selected develop from a list management perspective it’s one of our biggest needs

It will be 3-4 years until anyone that we pick starts to properly contribute by which stage Brown and McKernan will be 31 and Joey and Stewart will be 28.

1 Like

if its taking 4 years i really don’t see the diff in going a first rounder or 2nd/3rd.

The way Brisbane seem to find KP prospects, with some help from their Academy, they’d be hoping to find some decent forwards as the thought of playing Hipwood with Andrews could give them one of the best defensive combos ever seen; it’d be like a Monstars version of Hurley and Hooker.

1 Like

Because the first round ones are better.

2 Likes

36 touches and 4 goals to Podhajski, no combine invite so he won’t go top 50 but certainly should be gaining interest for later in the draft

1 Like

Another inside mid to look for with our 2nd pick Ely Smith had 32 disposals, 8 Inside 50s and 5 tackles.

One to watch in the finals when he is up against the very best mids from the TAC

Brayden Ham with 5 goals and 20 possessions, albeit against a hapless bendigo, Sam Walsh with his usual 30+

17 total players invited to national/state combine for Dandenong Stingrays, they are top of the ladder for a reason

Are the state combine invites out?

I don’t have an account so I don’t know the exact players but Paul Amy alluded to 17 in total for Dandenong

COMBINE their national and state combine invitations and the Dandenong Stingrays are only one player short of a starting 18.

In a remarkable haul that reflects their position on top of the TAC Cup ladder, the Stingrays have 17 players off to the AFL testing programs in October.

GAHAN’S UNIQUE TRANSITION FROM VFL TO TAC CUP

Zac Foot, William Hamill, Riley Bowman, Toby Bedford and Bailey Williams are attending the national combine.

And last night Mitch Riordan, Jai Nanscawen, Lachlan McDonnell, Bailey Schmidt, Steve Cummings, Jai Taylor, Sam Fletcher, Jamie Plumridge, Sam Sturt, Matthew Gahan and Lachie Young learned they had been tapped for the state combine, which required nominations from at least two AFL clubs. Jake Frawley is down for “Rookie Me’’ testing (one nomination).

Dandenong Stingray William Hamill hunts the footy. Picture: Valeriu Campan

But as much as the Stingrays were thrilled with the long list, they thought there was a glaring omission: co-captain Campbell Hustwaite.

The tenacious left-footer has had a fine season and is probably leading the club best and fairest. Some think he’s also a chance to win the TAC Cup’s Morrish Medal.

Fin Bayne was also overlooked. He kicked two goals and had a pile of possessions in last Saturday’s victory over the Northern Knights.

The Dandenong Stingrays state combine invitees:

Mitch Riordan (Beaconsfield): midfielder who hasn’t played since injuring his knee at the nationals. First played TAC Cup as a 16-year-old and now the Stingrays’ co-captain.

Jai Nanscawen (Rosebud): has played little football this year owing to an ankle injury, but he’s a small, elusive and clever forward. Close to resuming after his long lay-off.

Lachie McDonnell (Noble Park): one of the best kicks in the club and uses the ball neatly off half back, a wing and at half forward. Is also a star volleyballer.

Bailey Schmidt (Seaford): the ruckman/key forward missed his 16th year of football owing to a broken leg. Has good hands and a dash of aggression.

Jai Taylor (Red Hill): speedster who has worked diligently to improve his kicking. Look for him on the bigger grounds later in the season.

Sam Fletcher (Red Hill): wins no awards for style with his kicking but dexterous with his hands, could find the ball while blindfolded and is quick off the mark. Some Stingrays officials thought he would go to the national combine.

Jamie Plumridge (Beaconsfield): neat right-footer who played a lot of football as a 17-year-old. Kicks the ball well and can slot goals from the wing and half forward.

Steve Cummings (Rosebud): key position player with a basketball background and has risen sharply in the past 12 months. Played for the NT with distinction in the national Under 18 championships.

Matthew Gahan (Red Hill): was training with VFL club Frankston as a 17-year-old before being sent to the Stingrays a few weeks out from the season. Has been a stand-out with his intercept marking and decision making across half back.

Lachie Young (Mornington): 19-year-old defender who caught the eye in stints for Frankston in the VFL. Also showed out in a Young Guns match.

Jake Frawley (Pearcedale): given a 19-year-old season after hurting his knee as a bottom-ager. Can play as a forward, defender and midfielder.

Sam Sturt (Mt Eliza): bit of a bolter; played his first match for the Stingrays last Saturday after earning rave reviews playing in the forward line for Peninsula Grammar under the coaching of Brett Lovett.

Matthew Gahan has bolted onto the AFL draft radar. Picture: AFL media.

FULL STATE COMBINE INVITES

STATE COMBINE

Riley Bice Murray Bushrangers/GWS Academy

Jeromy Lucas GWS Giants Academy

Nick Murray Murray Bushrangers/GWS Academy

James Peatling GWS Giants Academy

Guy Richardson GWS Giants Academy

Mathew Walker Murray Bushrangers/GWS Academy

Michael Mummery NT Thunder

Izaak Wyatt Southern Districts

Caleb Graham GC Suns Academy

Darcy Marsh Brisbane Lions Academy

Tom Matthews Brisbane Lions Academy

Lachlan McDonald GC Suns Academy

Finn Betterman Glenelg

Connor Bristow Norwood

ChrisBurgess West Adelaide

Declan Carmody Glenelg

Kade Chandler Norwood

Oscar Chapman North Adelaide

Tate Coleman South Adelaide

Jacob Collins Norwood

Job Colwell South Adelaide

Tobin Cox Glenelg

Darcy Fort Central District

Martin Frederick Woodville-West Torrens

Nathan Kreuger South Adelaide

Tom Lewis Sturt

Mihail Lochowiak Sturt

Tyler Martin Norwood

Aaron Nietschke Central District

Matthew Nunn Norwood

Kai Pudney Woodville West Torrens

Isaac Saywell Norwood

Jake Tarca South Adelaide

Casey Voss Sturt

Callum Wilkie North Adelaide

Werribee’s former Fremantle defender Sam Collins. Picture: AFL media.

Boyd Woodcock North Adelaide

Rhyan Mansell North Launceston

Jake Aarts Richmond VFL

Brett Bewley Williamstown

Sam Collins Werribee

Will Hayes Footscray VFL

Nick Hind Essendon VFL

Marty ■■■■ Collingwood VFL

Ethan Phillips Port Melbourne

Corey Rich Frankston

Jacob Atley Bendigo Pioneers

Stephen ■■■■■■■ Dandenong Stingrays

Sam Fletcher Dandenong Stingrays

Matthew Gahan Dandenong Stingrays

Hudson Garoni Murray Bushrangers

Noah Gown Gippsland Power

Brayden Ham Geelong Falcons

JedHill GWV Rebels

Austin Hodge Gippsland Power

Zane Keighran Bendigo Pioneers

Matty Lloyd GWV Rebels

Essendon dasher Nick Hind is one of the VFL players invited to the state combine.

Lachlan McDonnell Dandenong Stingrays

Jai Nanscawen Dandenong Stingrays

Finbar O’Dwyer Murray Bushrangers

Jamie Plumridge Dandenong Stingrays

Mitch Riordan Dandenong Stingrays

Bailey Schmidt Dandenong Stingrays

Sam Sturt Dandenong Stingrays

Jai Taylor Dandenong Stingrays

CharlieWilson GWV Rebels

LachlanYoung Dandenong Stingrays

Frank Anderson South Croydon

Joseph Ayton-Delaney Oakleigh Chargers

Atu Bosenavualagi Oakleigh Chargers

Kyle Dunkley Oakleigh Chargers

Mason Fletcher Calder Cannons

Xavier Fry Eastern Ranges

Jake Gaspar Oakleigh Chargers

Sam Graham Calder Cannons

Harry Houlahan Sandringham Dragons

James Jordan Oakleigh Chargers

Josh Kemp Calder Cannons

Justin McInerney Northern Knights

Mitchell Podhajski Calder Cannons

Stefan Radovanovic Western Jets

James Rendell Sandringham Dragons

Harry Reynolds Sandringham Dragons

Alistair Richards Sandringham Dragons

Jack Ross Oakleigh Chargers

Jason Carter Peel Thunder

Dylan CurleyEast Fremantle

Oliver Eastland Claremont

Kody Eaton East Fremantle

Harry Edwards Swan Districts

Patrick Farrant Swan Districts

Ethan Hansen Perth

Wil Hickmott Subiaco

Corey Hitchcock Claremont

Jack Mayo Subiaco

Tom Medhat West Perth

Louis Miller East Perth

Luke Moore South Fremantle

Rylie Morgan Claremont

Matthew Parker South Fremantle

Jarvis Pina Peel Thunder

Tyson Powell Peel Thunder

Regan Spooner South Fremantle

James Sturrock Peel Thunder

Tobe Watson Swan Districts

Graydon Wilson

Swan Districts

ROOKIE ME

Ryan Hebron Sydney University

Joey Reinhard Sydney Swans Academy

Adam Tipungwuti Western Magpies

Matthew Green NT Thunder

Ryan Gilmore GC Suns Academy

Jack Tomkinson Brisbane Lions Academy

Lachlan Gadomski Kingborough Tigers

Matthew McGuinness Lauderdale

Ben Cavarra Williamstown

Jay Lockhart Casey Scorpions

Hayden McLean Sandringham

Kieran Strachan Port Melbourne

Charlie Thompson Richmond

Jordan Butts Murray Bushrangers

Kyle Clarke Murray Bushrangers

Sam Conway Geelong Falcons

Jake Frawley Dandenong Stingrays

Matt Neagle Wodonga Raiders

Tye Browning Calder Cannons

Daniel Hanna Calder Cannons

Cody Hirst Eastern Ranges

2 Likes

Matt Neagle gets an invite

And another Tipungwuti, @benfti what’s the scoop?

@THE_DON1 I liked the look of Hayden McLean last year in the TAC Cup final and I noticed last week when I flicked onto the VFL that he has been playing VFL footy this year after being overlooked. He is in the Rookie Me screening invites above.
What are your thoughts on him and what is holding him back from being drafted?