Tac/u18 Thread

Saints want him

Caldwell sounds like a Luke Parker type. Just a damn good midfielder. Iā€™d be happy with him if we could guarantee his fitness issues are able to be sorted.

He seems like the type that would make an immediate presence.

@Aceman ya boi

His stoppage craft is decent without being a major strength of his. It will improve in an AFL environment with elite coaching. His break away pace and strength is elite. 4 qtr consistency is very true, if he improves that it will see him rack up big numbers of the ball. Which is what you want as heā€™s such a damaging impact player.

Butcher is acemanā€™s boy

2 Likes

His stoppage craft is non-existent. The correlation between this craft and consistency across 4 quarters is stand out. Eyes wide open here, that youā€™re drafting a gun half forward/wing type who plays onball at under age level but who often struggled to win clearances even at St Bernardā€™s and canā€™t go 4 quarters. Stoppage craft isnā€™t easy to teach incidentally.

1 Like

He sounds like a Caddy-type of forward to me and Iā€™m still trying to work out how Caddy had such a good year tbh

There are similarities HMā€¦ I think Caddy is and was better overhead as a kid, and was a bull at the stoppagesā€¦ Oā€™Halloran powerful but less so in a combative way if that makes sense. Quicker than Caddy definitely .Could be that second possession mid maybe, but Iā€™m not convinced heā€™s smart enough around the footy despite having that power and electric speed. Both lack 4 quarter involvement but can impact in the forward line.

Is top 5 in the TAC for average clearancesā€¦

2 Likes

Has some moments here.
Might he be available around pick 32?

Is he How did this stat line correlate at Nationals? And, at a broader philosophical level should it be a used as a predictor for future clearance potential at AFL level?

He played mostly forward in the nationals, he shares the average clearance number top 5 with Bailey Smith, Liam Stocker and James Rowbottom and I see those players being clearance players at the next level.

I think Oā€™Halloran will be used in the middle purely for that burst factor not so much as an extractor like a Cripps.

1 Like

What I was driving at was that Oā€™Halloran isnā€™t considered to be a stoppage gun by any stretch from a comparative top line perspective. His games at National Level were underwhelming. 0 against SA, and possibly 1 against Vic Country from memoryā€¦ TAC cup is a little freer and it allows him to amass possessions which arenā€™t AFL transferable from a process perspective. Ducking out the back as he often does and running through the clearance at juniors is greatā€¦ At the next level heā€™ll be smashed to pieces! Iā€™m not writing him off but he needs to acquire some AFL level stoppage ability.

Iā€™d say that youā€™re right. Heā€™s probably going to be a Half - forward mid type, like Curtis Taylorā€¦ Bursts in and out then use his speed on a flank.

Who have you got your eye on for our pick 9 Scorch?

(Personally I like Rozee but I doubt heā€™ll get to us)

SI, I like Ian Hill personallyā€¦ Itā€™s the name that no one mentions, and doesnā€™t appear to be a natural fit both in order and list needs, but the kid was elite leading into last yearā€™s draft as a bottom ager. Top line speed, agility and skill and can tackle! A little like Cyril! Would make our forward line and midfield super super dangerous when the ball hits the deck to have a devastating trio of Tippa, Raz and Hillā€¦ I couldnā€™t see anyone in the league being able to defend that sort of talent!

Or we could just trade it for Martin!

Itā€™s intersting, everyone keeps telling us we need pure midfieldersā€¦ I just think we need more X factor that can tackle and run!

8 Likes

If you where underwhelmed with his midfield ability in the champs Iā€™m not surprised because he didnā€™t really get much of a go, his stats for the champs playing as a forward where actually pretty solid, not outstanding but encouraging to showcase some versatility as he has played mostly as a pure midfielder for the Jets.

I ageee with some of your concerns but I donā€™t think his ability to win clearances is one of them, how he wins them is rather predicable but he will always give 100% when he tries to win the ball and for me he has been the type to try and lift his team and has nailed goals when his side needed it most. His leadership and athletic ability for me make him very draftable and I think the positives far outway the negatives.

4 Likes

Is this the conversation that never ends? Lol. ā€˜You hang upā€™ā€¦!

I said my peace :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thats where Setterfield (albeit in a few years time) for a second rounder would complement a Hill selection

2 Likes

At the end of last year Dodoro was asked about what he thought of this years draft and he listed a few players to look out for and one was Ian Hill. Wouldnā€™t be suprised if we have him in mind if we keep our pick.

2 Likes