Tac/u18 Thread

You will notice a relatviely unknown player in my rankings being Josh Kemp, not much of him sinc ehe came from school footy but he is a personal favourite of mine, a few highlights below

Watch the 32:20 to 32:50 mark in this vid

Opening highlight, kid with long sleeves

The 1.51:30 mark he hurts his arm and watch him get back up and make a huge chase, awesome dedication

14:25 mark, nice finish at goal

Takes a really nice mark at the 1.01.50 mark

1 Like

Berry with #34!

Heā€™s a rangy lookinā€™ thing, not too dissimilar to Redman when he first started up forward

Hope to see Hanna in our VFL system, unless he gets picked up, which I canā€™t really see happening tbh

Very rangy and plenty of upside, got a state combine invite only having the played 3 TAC games before it. Has the skills, leap, speed and determination to be an effective forward in the modern game, will of course take a few years to have an AFL ready body.

Hanna has been promising but is surplus to requirements as a key defender, we are easily spoiled with that role especially with Mason Fletcher coming in.

hey mate. whatā€™s your knock on Jordan Clark?

most other mock drafts and power rankings have him listed in the 14 - 24 range, just case of prefering others or not seen much of him?

also, do you know much about jez McLennan?

cheers for the time you put into sharing your knowledge and insight

Clark to me plays very outside and as a defender his high numbers came with a complete disrespect to the opposition forward, if Iā€™m picking a small defender or rebounding defender in the top 20 they need to show an ability to defend which Iā€™m yet to see from him. Sure he looks great when he is getting a lot of the ball and running out of defence but a lot of players can win a lot of the ball down back when they donā€™t have an opponent.

He isnā€™t a strong intercept marker either which is also a query for me.

I really like McLennan and he has hovered in the 25-35 range for me all year, now he is one that defends well and is a strong intercept player. His speed is probably his main query and his skills are decent but not exactly damaging. Coaches would love him and I can see him becoming a best 22 defender at AFL level

3 Likes

thanks mate, disappointing to hear. how do they stack up against quaynor?

Quaynor is a fantastic defender and runs hard offensively and defensively, he projects as a McGrath style player although purely as a defender. Can do a job on a dangerous small forward while also providing good counter attack, also a ripping kid and very likeable.

1 Like

Is that you Xavier?

Nice workā€¦ A couple of potential drifters/risers for mine.
Drifters
Collier Dawkins doesnā€™t have the substance that the Bont had, and think he could drift to late first round, although everyone wants the prototypeā€¦ Questions on his kicking and balance for mine. Versatility too.
Duursma donā€™t rate by foot. Mid 20ā€™s
Jones meh. A bit small, and nothing that screams AFL star. Iā€™d draft him in the second to third
Rowbottom I like but canā€™t kick and isnā€™t super quick (projects as a tagger for mine at the next level). Third to fourth rounder despite All Australian form.
Bailey Williams - It doesnā€™t make sense (just as it didnā€™t with Grundy) but Iā€™m thinking around 18-20 as heā€™s a ruck
Valente might be one who drifts because of athletic profile. Late twenties potemtaillly

Risers
Stocker- Back end of the season,romantic comparisons with Shuey. Firms to around 12-13.
Sturt - Testing and back end of season displayā€¦ 15 -17 for mine
Clark - Much better than 30. Early 20ā€™s. Very good player. Tested ok.
Berry- Moves to mid to early 20ā€™s because of size and upside

Who else should be in there

McHenry - mid 20ā€™s. Pressure Forward at next level. Gun player, deserves some love

Bytel- Notwithstanding injuries is good enough, the right size and wonā€™t drift

Taylor Inconsistent but can play. Lock him in for mid twenties at worst.

4 Likes

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts, how much TAC footy have you attended this year?

RCD is a personal favourite of mine and has been since Round 1,I think the kid just has it, production isnā€™t there but Iā€™ve been thinking of by many scouts not to get sucked into stats, when he got more midfield time he produced as he showed in the finals, his kicking is better than Hatelys but still not perfect. I think Clayton Oliver is a better comparison than Bont.

Duursma isnā€™t an elite kick but he does enough in terms of his versatility, attitude and marking ability for his size. Iā€™m thinking maybe projects as a Cam Guthrie type

Jones is a hard one to rate I think he ends up a better version of Guelfi, hearing he wonā€™t go later than 20

Rowbottom is another one I like more than others, screams Worpel. His speed is pretty solid for his position, has a good 5m burst and reads the taps well and is a willing tackler.

Williams will benefit with some of the new rule changes, his athletic ability means he could be anything.

Valente another hard to rate and your right about his athletic profile which is my main query but I look at someone like Heppell who isnā€™t overly quick and it doesnā€™t stop Valente from winning plenty of the ball and he can usually get a quick first few metres for separation, dual sided and a long kick of the footy helps him.

Canā€™t argue with Stocker, was tempted to put him higher although his speed isnā€™t much better than Rowbottoms

Would have liked to have seen Sturt used in other positions, being a pure 3rd tall forward is what has him as a late first rounder for me, reminds me of Bailey Fritsch

Yeah everyone likes Clark I just donā€™t like his style of play tbh, prefer defenders who can defend

I had Berry early 20s last month, looking back at footage Iā€™m a bit worried about his decision making, his athletic ability means he could be anything still.

McHenry Iā€™ve always had in the 20-35 range, his size, lack of speed and meh kicking have him a bit lower for me. Like his attack, endurance and tackling pressure just unsure on how effective he goes at the next level where the game is quicker.

Bytels speed and kicking worry me a bit but he is a ball magnet and good decision maker at stoppages, a lack of versatility might hurt aswell. Not sure how much the back injury has effected him and it may have swayed my thoughts on him.

Taylor doesnā€™t convince he as a mid and as a forward I donā€™t think he does enough defensively and his kicking is also inconsistent. Has talent but his defensive ability, ok speed and inconsistency to win the hard ball have me doubtful

2 Likes

well thatā€™s ā– ā– ā– ā– . canā€™t stand when Collingwood get nice things.

cheers

1 Like

I had the same feeling with Stephenson last year, I rated him at 2

3 Likes

Enough of the games to get a good read lol. Yourself? First year? Love your enthusiasm.

1 Like

Haha yeah I donā€™t really count after a dozen or so which I guess is the same for you

Iā€™ve been interested in this stuff for 8 years but have only started going to games and scouting on a weekly basis since 2016. Currently writing for AFL Draft Central which is a step in the right to direction to hopefully becoming an AFL scout

9 Likes

Would much rather hanna to fletcher as he has natural athleticism. However I assume fletch is a guarantee to be rookied. Would prefer to see him have a full over age year at calder, whilst playing a few vfl games

1 Like

Hey TD1. I noticed in an article in afl.com.au that Tom Lewis was at the SA State Combine which suggests that there was not enough interest from clubs to generate an invitation to the National combine. I think you had him in your top 30 for most of the season. Could he now be someone who might slide to the third round or later? I remember you described him as playing a bit like Viney. Could be a great get for us???

1 Like

SA Draft Combine results

20m sprint
Jake Tarca (South Adelaide) 2.96 seconds
Isaac Saywell (Norwood) 2.97 seconds
Jacob Collins (Norwood) 2.98 seconds

Yo-Yo test
Kai Pudney (Woodville-West Torrens) Level 22.1
Isaac Saywell (Norwood) Level 21.6
Tom Lewis (Sturt) Level 21.4

Agility test
Kai Pudney (Woodville-West Torrens) 7.90 seconds
Boyd Woodcock (North Adelaide) 8.09 seconds
Tom Lewis (Sturt) 8.15 seconds
Job Colwell (South Adelaide) 8.15 seconds

A Viney style player but he does lack a bit of speed and polish, hard as a cats head and tackles hard as a pressure forward. I still like him but yeah as a 3rd round or even rookie looks about right.

2 Likes

Twomeys updated top 30 is out, some changes compared to mine

In
Curtis Taylor
Jez McLennan (At 31 for me)
Will Kelly
Connor McFadyen
Ed McHenry

Out
Bailey Williams
Sydney Stack
Josh Kemp
James Rowbottom
Tom Berry

Most of those players are in the 20s for both of us which I believe shows that itā€™s extremely close in the 20-40 range.

2 Likes