Tac/u18 Thread

You know my thoughts here TD1… lol Can’t kick… nowhere near as bad as Clarkey but I’m not convinced he has the speed to be a game breaker or other game breaking quality (beyond getting it a lot). . Are we drafting him as a run with type? I’m hoping that Bytel drops personally or I’m happy to reach on Reynolds. Thoughts?

1 Like

Bedford NGA Melbourne may drop… Melbourne will match though
McHenry although will most likely go top 30
Adam Tippingwutti is one!
Parker from WA maybe
Aarts from Richmond VFL
Jed Hill from GWV

2 Likes

Quick YouTube search… I’m on the Sydney Stack bandwagon (will become a mid in future). McHenry showed a bit, but sprayed a few.

Limited highlights of Tippa but was exciting…

2 Likes

I’m feeling plenty of animosity towards GWS.

Must bid on Briggs at 34 if no one else has.

Rowbottom is an obvious pick for me as the best contested midfielder available at that range. He isn’t that slow, he is quicker than Mynott and more explosive. Not super quick over a long journey but quicker than most for the position. Bytel would certainly be in the mix if he slipped to us and would fit the mould.

1 Like

Personally I’m praying Stack or Williams drop, but I doubt they will.

I feel we need more outside/forward depth: Stack, Kemp, Ham, Parker, Woodcock, Ninyette are some of the guys I like

What’s your take on Jed Hill compared to his teammate Charlie Wilson?

1 Like

Not sure about Stack personally, love Williams though. Shocked if he landed so late.

Like Parker, and possibly Kemp. Woodcock a bit meh, Ninyettes boat has sailed, Ham maybe…

Like Hill and Wilson… Hill super exciting with his leap. Wilson potentially smarter. Both absolutely draftable. What do you think?

1 Like

Williams would be perfect for our post-McKernan FF/Ruck spot.

Hill doesn’t have the same level of output that Wilson does. I don’t know how he stacks up physically but Wilson tackles and kicks goals regularly, which is nice in a HFF

I like the mature agers for their ability to step up to the AFL sooner than the younger guys which would be useful, considering we are entering our window now. Parker would be my pick as he would give us some cover for Tipungwuti’s defensive work but Pickett, Wilson (Norwood) and Adam Tipungwuti all look good too. Even Hind could be played forward imo.

Despite what many think, I don’t think we need to worry about inside mids - especially now we have Shiel - I have Myers, Guelfi, Clarke, Mutch, Begley, Laverde, and Mynott all outside the starting 22. Next year will give us a good indication about which guys are worth sticking with and we can reassess whether we need to replace and bring in any more inside leaning mids.

I think we need a line breaking HBF as understudy to Saad and McKenna, hopefully, the Irish kid Morrisey is signed. Moussa and Neagle are also options via NGA and F/S respectively as is Hind.

2 Likes

Josh Kemp would be my preference, selected in the state combine along with fellow PEGS and Calder teammate Mason Fletcher :wink:

Kemp tested elite for his running vertical jump and looks to be a Hoskin-Elliot style of forward

2 Likes

Very valid points. Is the intent behind having an understudy for McKenna and Saad also to have one of them move up into the midfield? Would love to see McKenna up on a wing at some point. Think he’s got a bit of Dangerfield about him.
Of the forwards mentioned I love Pickett. Think given his background (reformed offender) he’d provide some good cultural diversity given that most of our team are pretty straight! Love that he’s so hard at it. Think he’ll get picked up by someone else though.

I like Kemp as well TD1, but wonder if we’re already grooming Laverde, Begley and potentially Houlahan to play a similar type of role for us?

My mate told me he’s been offered the preseason to stake a claim for a Cat B spot.

He is a former basketballer that is approximately 200cm and very light.

He has a big engine and is very quick and athletic.

Good head on his shoulders too apparently and has been training with his local footy team where he has been smashing everyone on the track.

5 Likes

That’s true thus why I don’t think we need another small forward, I think another midfielder is in order if not we just take the best available talent this year.

1 Like

I’m looking for small forwards, is there anything that will be around at our pick who are super quick, good tacklers, clean and freaky around the goals?

Think a small forward is probably more important than a medium in the mould of guys like Houlahan, Begley and co. Ideally someone who can tackle like Baguley and has the brilliant movement and creativity of a Tippa and/or Fantasia… Come on down Jack Martin! Would love to see Fantasia roll through the middle more often but without losing anything.
In relation to midfielders, I think we still need that big bull. Is Ely Smith the pick of them this year at our pick or beyond?

See above

Smith would be ideal although I don’t think he makes it to us unless we find a way to trade up

It’s mainly about depth on the HBF, we are vulnerable of we lose either McKenna or Saad, it would probably force McGrath out of the midfield which would jeopardise his development. But McKenna could also develop into a midfielder as well.

Agree on Williams filling a need we will have 2-4 years down the line.

Getting Pickett potentially ticks a lot of boxes. Can play off the HBF, wing and inside. Quick, good above his head and at ground level (183cm/85kg, 26 years old).

1 Like

If we lose McKenna or Saad is that when you roll Redman in there? Or stick McGrath back and put Ridley on a wing?