Team vs Carlton Round 20

Puzzling having Ambrose, Hurley and Hartley in considering the matchups and the likely conditions. Didn’t we learn anything from the last time we played them?

I can understand Green for Laverde. Howlett plays good wet weather footy, but I would have preferred Bird. Myers continually getting a game is baffling. Langford is already a better player, can plays Myers’ position (and others too) and has 10 years of footy ahead of him.

6 Likes

To be very honest, people losing their rag over the selection of Howlett instead of this time last year worrying about whether Hurley will re-sign or whatever other calamity was befalling the club for the week is still so refreshing. The juxtaposition between this season and the last few and just being able to enjoy people frothing over minutiae at selection is deeply comforting.

15 Likes

In: Bwarkhorst.

1 Like

Hopefully too many spuds spoil the broth.

3 Likes

Not a surprise to me. We seem to consistently go to Howlett after a series of poor losses. He is insipid and is then dropped. Amazing that he’s selected over Langford and varous others.

1 Like

I think we’ve still kept our core group of players (bar injury) this year. We have only really shuffled a handful of players this year in and out of the side.

Don’t have anything against it. We blooded our youth last year, now we’ve built on it this year.

1 Like

What? Knights was the only coach we’ve had who went full-bore on playing kids and look at where it got him.
Easily the biggest problem I had with Hird was doing this exact thing, holding back opportunities to kids.

Throw in McGrath, and that makes 9 players who weren’t playing in our last final. Beat Carlton and those 9 players might ultimately get a chance to play a final (s), throw in playing with a legend like Jobe which then makes it farking great and not so stupid.

3 Likes

Cool changes bro

1 Like

At 28, if Benny was a touch more talented he’d be labelled in his prime.

Some say how great it is to have depth players available.
We rest a player and bring in a depth player, then mouth frothing ensues.
Go figure.

11 Likes

Meatheads, play the best player possible to win the games we are still a good chance for finials ffs. We have had next to no injuries this year, which is a big reason why we have not blooded a lot of new kids. Last year was about playing the kids, this year about meshing the team together with the old and new. Stability is needed. Play best avail I dont give a fark if there 40.
Kids play when they force they way into the team.

13 Likes

Wait, I’m confused, is this year about playing the best available or meshing the team together with old and new?

LOL.

Langford, Long, McKenna, Parish, Redman, Francis, Hartley & Laverde were the new kids of 2015&2016.

McKenna has taken a genuine step forward.

Every single other one has gone backwards.
We’ve given one new kid a decent crack and that’s been, of all places, in the back pocket.

We’ve “built” by playing guys like Myers and Howlett all year. More consistent, sure, you’d ■■■■■■ well hope so at 24-29yo, but they’re role players at the level, not taking us anywhere significant.

It’s laughable that anyone is trying to paint it as anything other than what it is.

5 Likes

Deckham has been logged on, but can’t be ■■■■■■ with fucktards.,

3 Likes

Every game, every year should be about building to a flag

And anyone who thinks B Howlett or J Watson or Myers will be part of a flag side from here is hopeful in the extreme.

4 Likes

What’s to defend, it’s team selection, I generally don’t comment in here.

No they haven’t. Parish working beautifully now, Hartley steady not backwards. Long won’t make it. Francis a conundrum. They don’t all come on. Then there’s the shadow of the saga…

1 Like

Parish was maybe our 2nd-3rd line mid last year
Playing forward flank/wing now, pushed out by Jobey and Myers. I can quote a zillion numbers…

Hey guys:

27 Likes