Team vs Carlton Round 20

I wouldn’t be surprised if during the off-season Essendon hired someone like Dew, Burns or Solomon and implemented a Roos/Goodwin type handover for 2019. I just think he signed up as an experienced coach to help us during the supplements saga, it wouldn’t surprise me if he wasn’t going to coach long-term.

Clearly the returning guys like Howlett came back on the proviso that they’d play 1’s ahead of some of the newer guys and Woosha doesn’t like to change things mid game let alone mid year. Next year is when we will see the kids blooded IMO.

Solomon hasn’t done anything to indicate he can assistant coach at gcs has he? they’re still a basket case across the board.

Despite their horrible season Solly is very highly regarded.

And whats he do?

In 2013 against Carlton on a Friday night we debuted Daniher and Wil Hams.

This time we bring in Howlett and drop two kids?

A loss to Carlton in the rain to put the dagger in our season with plodders running around and SFA kids played this year, how good.

1 Like

He is their midfield coach. Not sure team performance can be used as the only measure of success for an assistant coach.

Laverde clearly needs a week or so in the 2’s to get a bit more of the footy and get some touch.

We were crticised for not having enough forward pressure. I think Laverde’s inclusion through that balance out, so Green for Laverde is logical and improves the side.

Ambo gives us a shut down type with endurance. He gives us options. Kelly should be getting a rest at this end of the year and will be important vs Crows.

McGrath also will be important vs Crows. A rest seems fair enough.

I like Ben Howlett and have no problems playing a loyal 28 year old who normally racks up the leading tackle count for the day.

Again addresses some of the critisms that perhaps we were too attacking and not defensive enough.

Cant believe people talking about Ben Howlett like hes a piece of ■■■■.

30 Likes

Howlett hopefully is used to tag Gibbs, he is their barometer. Shut him down and it’s a comfortable 10 goal win

5 Likes

lol, like we’d tag a player.

6 Likes

What’s wrong with some people in here???
Right now with 4 games to go we can legitimately make finals !!! It will be a huge achievement given recent history. We have played more fabulous games than Essingtin games this year and lost a few by our own hand…and have developed a great style of football and here we are!! Still truly alive.
So we show the scum some respect, maybe too much respect, by going conservative and half the blitzers spit chips.
I do not believe the scum can win if Howlett locks out either Gibbs or Murphy. I reckon he is our best bet to do this
Winning Saturday does fu@&$ING matter and when we do, watch the excitement blow

14 Likes

I think that’s exactly why he’s been brought in.

Strangely enough I was thinking the same thing (must win game) but we’re in the minority.
None of the new blokes who played in the reserves last week made a strong case for selection, so the priority this week, is to shore up a much needed win against Carlton.

You sound rational, just like Wooosha.

Three days ago you were calling for Hooker to be traded…

12 Likes

Most of the year has been spent trying to get the boys functioning as a team, with limited games played together. I’d imagine it would be quite a balancing act to do that and blood more youngsters into the side.

That being said the likes of Daniher, Tippa, Fantasia, Parish, Merrett, McKenna, Gleeson and McGrath have taken substantial steps forward this year. They’re improvement has been fantastic.

7 Likes

Lol every time people are furious with selection we have a good game (GWS springs to mind) and when we are super confident we get smashed… … Maybe the coaches know what they are doing just a thought

1 Like

Happy with the changes, although I’d have Bird in ahead of Howlett. McGrath and Kelly clearly needed a rest. Will be interesting to see how Ambrose goes after a long stint on the sidelines.

2 Likes

Worsfold has never been a coach that gifted games to kids. Even at West Coast he didn’t play young players unless he was certain that they’re ready to command a position in the best 22.

It’s clearly a different perspective than we’re used to.
He trusts in the state level competitions to develop players. I knows there are extreme contrasting views about using the VFL as an opportunity to develop players, compared to the old chuck them in the AFL and develop them even though they can’t get a touch and aren’t physically ready

2 Likes

This makes it even more stupid to play all the guys who won’t be there in 2 years.
“Wow look at the chemistry Howlett has with Watson” - still getting delisted.