Team vs Carlton Round 20

Yeah, but I think that shows how disappointing those picks have been as a whole (not sure if you that down to development or poor picks - but keeping the power dry on that one)

Trav and Myers must have Wooshas insta log in details.

Wouldnā€™t it ā– ā– ā– ā–  with blitzes mind if Howlett was brought in to tag someoneā€¦

5 Likes

ā€œWell, it looks like Howlett has gone to Armfield and is applying a hard tag! Not sure this is warrantedā€¦ā€

1 Like

Howlett will play a role, no doubt.

it is the only plausible reason why he is in,surely.

Good post.

These young guys are not only learning each others games in the twos, but getting access to the teachings of seasoned AFL players.

Perfect training ground really.

1 Like

I think Carlton have picked a pretty quick small team. We have brought in 2 pretty slow players and all 3 struggle to find the ball.
I wonder if our backline will be too slow.

Yep, your pessimism is a Blitz constant.

So who goes out for McGrath and Kelly next week?

Howlett and ???

Really want to see Mutch get a game.

1 Like

Would have liked to see Langford in.

2 Likes

All this fuss on Howlett seems over the top. I think the conditions suggest it will be a game for mature bodies and I really think it will be his role to tag Simpson or Doherty. I think Goddard will fund with Gibbs.

4 Likes

Have you seen him play in the seniors this year? Has been horrible.

Iā€™d be more interested in what DJR says, he is the one who goes to all games.

Is this true DJR?

Thisssssss

The last time I heard mature bodies, hardness, itā€™ll be wet blah blah, it made ZERO difference and we got done

2 Likes

:open_mouth: oooohhhh.

It is a possibility that JJ getting off the leash last week has annoyed the coaching staff and so they tried to find someone to lock down on a forward / midfielder. Seems logical.

What would seem strange is if they have chosen Howlett to try in that roll, as it has never really been his thing.

We got done because we played really stupid football in close - I was there.

It rained all game, literally.

In close our big bodied players were trying to grab the ball and shoot off sharp handballs yet the ball was like soap and all the ball did was bubble around in a pack.

Carlton very smartly had a sweeper behind the pack to the side (e.g. Simpson) and rather than try and grab the ball in very wet conditions, simply knocked out in his direction where the sweeper could gather the ball under no pressure.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Exacerbating the problem was the fact that Jobe - who I thought was in the best 3 on ground until half time - barely played in Q3 which is when our problems became acute despite the scoreboard staying close.

If we play stupid football in wet conditions again we will cop the same result. Nothing to do with being ā€œtop heavyā€.

Letā€™s see if we have learned from last time.

6 Likes

I really thought that was going somewhere else.

11 Likes

You havenā€™t heard about a game we played on ANZAC Day?