Team vs Carlton Round 20

Considering McGrath and Kelly are out, and no recognized small defenders are in, perhaps Howlett is brought in to play in the back line?

1 Like

I reckon Howlett has been brought in the role of getting 12-14 touches and 1-2 shots at goal.

Iā€™m not sure heā€™s ever shown heā€™s capable of much more?

6 Likes

Not going to rain, according to the super reliable weather forecast

Maybe true. Then that releases Darcy to play more time at stoppages and on the ball . Thats a good thing imo.

Glad to see Kelly and McGrath rested, a little surprised Dea wasnt a in, But I imagine Ambrose Hartley will play tight and Hurley will play looser and be the general of the backline, play the rance role, but better!

Not sure I get the logic. Playing a proven underporformer somehow allows another player to play more midfield time?

Howlett is tough around the contest and does lay some good tackles. It has been frustrating over the past 2 weeks how easily and cleanly norf and doggie mids have moved the ball from stoppages to setup their offence. Howlett is a better option to improve our defensive clearance work than Langford and I think this is why he comes in this week.

3 Likes

Iā€™d prefer we not play Hurley loose this week. He needs to be at least nominally accountable if only to ensure that they they donā€™t play 3 loose behind the ball.

This is going to be another ugly slog with them playing Ultra defensive. Really need our talls to stand up and put on a clunking display. We also need to be smart with our ball use and structure. Need to push up to the share to create the contest and do everything possible not to just dump it long to the advantage of their loose man like last time.

I donā€™t understand how supporters can think we do not have a chance of winning in the first week of finals if we make it.

We have performed very well against many of the top 8 teams. Do people forget the games vs Geelong, WC, Port, even the losses to Syd and GWS were ok.

If we make it, we CAN WIN!

4 Likes

Pessimism comes naturally to most of you dorks. They havenā€™t played the game yet. Resist the urge to wallow in self pity for Godā€™s sake.

9 Likes

Pessimism must be some sort of defence mechanism in case we lose.

2 Likes

I dont mind the ins but taking out 2 small backs without replacements?! Ambrose & Hartley have matchups and if Hurley plays loose/roaming role who plays on the other 4 small/mid Carlton forwards? Gleeson, McKenna andā€¦?

Bags, Howlett, Tippaā€¦

Forget ā€œplaying the kidsā€ this week and whipping yourselves over it.

The club wants to maximise success this season, for 3 main reasons, to clear the $10m loss asap, to reward players, and reward supporters with on field success. So they are not ā€œplaying kidsā€ unless the ā€œkidsā€ are good enough.

6 Likes

Dustin Fletcher just called and personally asked me to come and watch the game.

Of course I will Dustin. Of course I will.

19 Likes

He must be a busy guy today, he just rang me as well, told him Iā€™d be there but he didnā€™t respondā€¦

9 Likes

Surely dea is a better defensive option

For one, Zerret normally backfills in defence, so much so, last year he won ā€œBest Defenderā€ at the Crichton. Also expect Tippa and Raz, who both played a bit of time on the ā€œwingā€ in the last game to help out down back. There may have to be some adjustments to roles, but its hard to see them doing it any other way.

Going to rain. ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  hell weā€™ve already lost this before the bounce. Too tall.

I think using a ā€˜depthā€™ player when we need some ā€˜depthā€™ is pretty sensible.

1 Like