Technology Help Thread

Does anyone know any mobile providers other than the big ones that offer Numbersync for wearables (Apple Watch etc)?

Any recommended alternatives to Google calendar?

I keep my housesitting bookings online, and Google allowed me to share different views of it - I could allow my family to see full details with location, pet details etc, but limit other people so that they just saw when I was busy or free.

Google has stopped cooperating and Iā€™m having difficulty sharing.

Has anyone used an alternative that would allow me to do similar to Google?

Outlook or google calendar are the only two iā€™ve used.

1 Like

Mrs Fox found a Nokia phone down the side of our lounge chair. Not mine, not hers and no-one who has been at our home has lost a phone.

I charged it up and it has a pin to unlock, so cannot trace who owns it.

So it there any way that we can find out who owns it. Service provider is Telstra but they ar eno help. Any ideas ???

Reckon if you take it to a Telstra shop they should be able to look at the sim chip and find out who owns it. The sim will provide the service number and they should have the account handy.

2 Likes

A few years ago I found a phone when I was out walking the dog. Iā€™m guessing it had been thrown from a car because the phone, the battery and the back cover had all come apart. The screen wasnā€™t damaged beyond comprehension and, when put together, it still worked. About the only thing I could establish was that the service provider was Optus. I dropped it into an Optus Shop and they said theyā€™d get it back to its owner. Whether or not they did, I cannot sayā€¦

data nerds of blitz:

iā€™m about to embark on a project thatā€™s gonna require trawling through ~90k records analysing similarities/patterns/etc over time.

now i am really good at excel, and so was planning on just using a shtload of index functions to get what i want. however i know excel well enough to know that using it will make it a very time consuming project.

question: is it worth investing time learning another platform to analyse that amount of data in a more efficient manner, or should i just accept that this is gonna be a time sink no matter what and stick with what i know?

SQL is usually best for dataā€¦whichever actual tool.

2 Likes

Not enough informationā€¦ are you trying to do time series analyses? That is its own thing and better done in R than XL.

Is this your elaborate trick to prove to Mrs Fox no 57 that the phone down the side of your couch wasnā€™t your mistress burner phone?

As AT suggested, it really depends on what you are doing.

If it is just descriptive stats, Iā€™d suggest sticking with what you know - programs like R or Python are generally much more efficient for analysing the huge datasets, but if youā€™ve never used them before, they both can have a fairly steep learning curve.

1 Like

GAGF TrollBoy

ask your scrum master.

2 Likes

Iā€™m here. Just do what you know and stop wasting time. Ffs.

1 Like

Sounds like something your mistress would say.

If itā€™s just csv files, PowerBI.

If your work wonā€™t let you install that and you have to use Excel, then teach yourself VBA/SQL and do the crunching that way.

1 Like

thanks gang. might press ahead with excel and then sook in another thread next week about how itā€™s too hard

Yes - learn python. Harvard CS50 course (free).
Use chat gpt in conjunction to explain things / write code for you. You wonā€™t regret it.

Weird issue that Iā€™m hoping someone may be able to assist with - my wifi has started slowing down to a snail pace at night - only my wifi.

Speed test on PC is normal, using wifi analyser speed test on mobile is about a quarter of what I get on PC.

Itā€™s fine throughout the day, at night, Kayo basically logs me out on the tv but works fine on PC, mobile phone struggles with wifi but if I switch it off it works fine on phone network.

Some strange irregularities - Netflix seems to work ok still on tv, but as mentioned, kayo, YouTube etc on tv all struggle or stop.

My guess is the modems wifi but it seems weird that itā€™s ok through the day?

Iā€™m sort of the same.

I recently swapped out my NBN Smart Modem from Telstra for a 5g modem. Currently trying to work out the best spot.

The Telstra tower is probably 400m away to the east. The NBN connection and all cable connections were in the garage which has no line of sight to the outside world.

Iā€™ve connected two boosters and have one next to the TV. The modem is next to a window on the east, but I wonder if next doorā€™s metal cladding and second floor could be interfering.

Amazon, Netflix, SBS connect fine. Foxtel is horrible, repeatedly buffering. Youtube buffers occasionally.

I wonder whether those two are trying to send HD or 4K signals, which I donā€™t particularly need. I donā€™t need to see the pimple on the chin of that guy in the 5th row of the grandstand.