Technology Help Thread

Is this where I can ■■■■■ about Telstra?
My Tbox has carced it and I’m now told its obsolete. Ive been told now that the two replacements (Foxtel box ? Telstra air ?) will be another charge as my Tbox was out of warranty. The stupid bit is I don’t seem to be able to get my free to air channels through the new options, and they both don’t have Tbox features like recording stuff and running an external hd through it. Has anyone else experienced this? What are my options? I’m still on a contract till 2017.
And I’ll be stuffed if I’m getting the Foxtel box thing. Sounds like a concerted effort to get us all on Foxtel.
And ■■■■ the afl while I think about it. They’ll have there grubby digits all over this I’ll bet.

I thought this was the replacement.

https://www.telstra.com.au/tv-movies-music/products/telstra-tv

It Would appear that’s the case.
Thank you

Hi technologically- advanced blitzers…
I need to get a new 17" laptop, (kids love minecraft, we just web surf, go on blitz, and create doc’s), as the last one has gone to heaven.
Don’t need anything too fancy- Core i5, 8mb ram would be all the way- and am looking to keep the price down. Any brands/models I should look at
and/ or keep away from??
Ideas/opinions welcome.
Oh, and fark carlton.

Hi technologically- advanced blitzers.... I need to get a new 17" laptop, (kids love minecraft, we just web surf, go on blitz, and create doc's), as the last one has gone to heaven. Don't need anything too fancy- Core i5, 8mb ram would be all the way- and am looking to keep the price down. Any brands/models I should look at and/ or keep away from?? Ideas/opinions welcome. Oh, and fark carlton.

Get a Mac!

with laptop buying.

1. figure out price range
  2. mac yes or no?
  3. if no. whichever one has the best touch pad in your size requirements.

pccaseworld.com
ple.com

Both of them are .au I think but can’t remember.

Personally waiting to see the next ALDI incarnations.

Can you give a price range?

Also kaby lake processors (7th gen intel processors) will start hitting the market soon. Particularly for laptops it’s worth waiting for.

By the way, thanks for your feedback so far everyone- it all helps.

Can you give a price range?

Trying to keep it near to $1k- not a hard-core gamer, ( neither are my kids), but our old Samsung was core i5, 17", 4mg, 2.4ghz, so I didn’t want to go too far backwards.

This is similar to my current one, (mines a bit older) I reckon this is the best all round note book I have ha by far. Very similar to size and weight to macbook air without all the annoyances of apple eco system and compatibility to the real world. great keyboard (backlit) track pad is ace, great battery life, nice and lite to carry around.
I got the 256 gig SSD, 2 years old and still flies. Will probably cost about $1500 with the extra ssd upgrade

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/business-solutions/hp-elitebook-1040-g3-notebook-pc-(energy-star)-v1p89ut-aba

Hi Everyone

Picked up an Asus at the Centrecom 18th birthday sale. Ticks all the boxes.
Thanks for all of your feedback, it really helped walking in having t least half an idea instead of none!

So your looking at buying a new phone, and you come across one that suits, and states,… “New. Sealed in Box” etc, … then down further says, "some of these phones are loaded with custom ROM which may not support OTA upgrade"

So, … the question is, … IF they are new sealed etc, … HTF can they have a Custom ROM installed?

I thought Custom ROM’s were only installed after rooting/flashing and installing a post phone built one. Have I got that right?

Usually but there must be variants such as when you buy a phone from a carrier here and the e-mail signature are like “Sent on the Optus network”

Aliexpress phones?

they’re new, they just open up the box to load their vendor rom on it.

or it may be a phone thats got a different ROM on it from the get go, i believe some one pluses shipped with cyanogenmod out of the box.

But if its the first and you do buy one, flash the standard rom instantly, vendors sometimes put spyware on their phone and steal your data.

Honestly with phones tho, just get a flagship or a midrange phone as a refurb, as good as new but significantly cheaper.

What phone are you buying and from where are you buying it? Might better help with answering.

Any Blitzers in the Croydon (Vic) area have one of these; https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-usb-3-0-to-sata-hdd-adaptor-1m-cou3stad
And/or experience updating software on a hard drive to make original Xbox games 360 compatible?

I actually did something similar to this recently, which XBOX do you have/ are you trying to use an original XBOX 360 HDD?