Tell Us Something We Don’t Know

Tell me you kicked on until your late teens at least.

well to be honest as i played most sports at rep level i didnt dedicate myself…

Played rep soccer tennis Afl Cricket till about 17

I stopped cricket after 1 particular sunny day playing in a sydney seaside suburb when my cousin came to watch accompanied by 3 bikini clad friends of his…

Grew up in the same area as the waugh twins in sydney and they were next level from me…

we played them when i was 12 our team made 14 i made 7 sundries next highest score lol

Serious question. And let me qualify this by saying I don’t know you but from reading your work over a long time get the feeling you’re living a well adjusted and fulfilling life but do you ever in a quiet moment of reflection wonder “what if?” See, I was never any good so it’s easy for me to kid myself every now and again into thinking had I done this or done that I may have been a chance but I imagine that those who actually were pretty good would look back and see things differently to the rest of us?

Sometimes i do so times i dont

i had guys who i played with that ended up playing sheffield shield for NSw and Qld.

it was all very clicky in those days as it is now and my parents didnt care for that. They were fantastic but left it up to me to dcide what i did and never said you must do this that or the other.

also played golf off a 3 handicap.

i look back now and think mmmm what might have been i still get old friends saying the same…

i have a deal with 1 friend she doesnt mention sport and i dont mention her singing talents.

ive moved on now to cycling…sydney to surfers paradise last year and off to ride italy france switzerland in july…

when i played club cricket there was another guy who was a spin bowler he was next level …unfortunatley he loved the drink way way too much to be dedicated at that level…so many years on i met a woman who actually knew me even though i didnt know her!..she said do you remember that guy and i was like yes,she says hes the guy who captains the socceroos father…true story!

4 Likes

As a ‘never was’, I don’t hold a grudge against those who ‘could have been’, if you follow.

You’re happy with your choices then so am I.

Thanks for sharing. You’re an interesting character.

1 Like

In 1991 I did a week’s work experience at Metropolis Studio in South Melbourne. In at the time were Boom Crash Opera (recording for their then upcoming 3rd album) and Hunters & Collectors (who were mixing some live recordings). Every morning I’d tidy up the recording studios, clean the mixing consoles and stack the beer fridge for the bands/engineers who’d roll in around midday. I’d then do food runs, feed parking meters etc. for the rest of the day.

The songs that Boom Crash Opera were recording sounded fan-fkn-tastic, and I’m convinced would’ve made them superstars. For some unfathomable reason (record company politics mainly) they were shelved in favour of the vastly inferior songs which did end up coming out on the album.

The guys in BCO were mainly nice chaps. Mark Seymour on the other hand was a very dry and humourless person…

The beer fridge was absolutely empty every single morning…

15 Likes

We were all standing in the centre of the ground getting yelled at by the coach. It was dusk, pouring rain and a bolt hit a copse of conifers which ringed the oval. Moments later I woke up on the ground with steam rising off the ground and the rest of the team scattered like tenpins. There was yelling and carrying on. According to people watching from the club rooms a bolt hit the metal boundary fence and skated across the ground and knocked us all flying. A couple of blokes got burns, one got ruptured ear drums but otherwise we were ok. I had metal screws in my boot stops and had small burns on the soles of my feet. The coach, a Vietnam vet, was awesome. He was knocked flat and had temporary paralysis but only worried about us. We made the front page of The Sun and Ch10 even sent a reporter in a chopper to our next match. We got flogged by 10 goals!

8 Likes

I’ve told you before I loved BCO. They should have been HUGE!

1 Like

The songs they were recording would’ve done it, I have no doubt! I’ve told Pete (the guitarist) so on countless occasions. He knows it too… oh, the stories he has of record company extravagance and ineptitude from that time…

1 Like

Between 10 and 20k?

So… 11 people?

5 Likes

I Snuck into the winning 99 reserves GF rooms. Did the pre game entertainment and instead of walking out onto the field just walked down the race with a team.

Year after i did the entertainment again but this time snuck off afterwards and stood in a standing bay for the game.

5 Likes

As an 8 year old, I was part of a primary school 4x100 metre running relay team that won a gold medal at the NSW state championships (the rest of the team were in year 6). At the time the state was in a terrible drought, and we were a tiny school of 30 people, most of whom were kids of farmers etc.

Somehow the media grabbed on to the story, and we had photographers follow us around the whole day as we progressed from heats to semis and to final. We ended up winning, and the next day we were on the back and front page of the Daily Telegraph, with a fantastic photo of myself (as this tiny 8 year old kid) holding the trophy up to eyeline level against my taller teammates. I guess it was such a great photo they decided to use it and run with the ‘feel good’ story of the day.

The clippings are still somewhere around!

6 Likes

The genesis of this story lies in the relaxed rules at Portland High School in 1972 which turned a blind eye to the common practice of students leaving the school premises and walking down to town to buy their lunch. On this fateful day, I opted for a big parcel of hot, greasy chips smothered in soy sauce washed down with a sarsaparilla milkshake with a bag of licorice allsorts for dessert.

Later that afternoon in class, I felt an unmistakable rumble in my intestines and knew that a fart was inevitable. With the utmost optimism, I thought I would try to sneak it out in the hope of it going undetected. Bad move.

The person sitting next to me and the two sitting behind looked at me with shock and horror as the pungent fumes turgidly wafted their way upwards and outwards. Unable to stand it any longer, the three of them stood up and bolted out into the corridor. Not only the rest of that row of desks, but also the adjoining row soon joined them. I was left alone on my side of the room before even I could take it no longer and joined them, gasping, in the corridor. The other half of the class by this stage had flocked to the windows, flung them open and were greedily sucking in huge breaths of fresh air.

When the teacher ventured over to see what all the fuss was about, it did not take him long to also evacuate the room and join the spluttering, choking hordes outside. He asked me what I had eaten for lunch and, when I told him, suggested I give the soy sauce a big miss next time.

So there you have it. You didn’t know until now that I once dropped a fart that cleared a classroom.

22 Likes

Tossed the coin in Joe Misiti’s 200th game

10 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:End thread…

1 Like
  1. Did he call correctly and 2) Have you still got the coin?

I hit Peter Cosgrove in the head with a cricket ball.

Twice.

7 Likes

Were you aiming at his head?

1 Like

Was against the crows at etihad.

As away captain Mark Bickley(?) Called correctly and yes i still have it.

1 Like

How did Eddie Maguire rate your tossing?

4 Likes