Tell us what you really think of the 2018 Annual Report

I think it’s an absolute disgrace that a club of our size only releases the annual report once a year.

13 Likes

and playing ANZAC Day on ANZAC Day - we struggle at times

1 Like

Waaaaaay less in grants/donations the difference it seems?

Given the saga issues over the last many years our accounts are going to be somewhat less than standard.

Plus, we should also see how other clubs have gone and whether changes in certain incomes streams is a trend across the board or unique to us.

End of the day we made a good profit and our finances look to be in good shape. Not sure there is a major concern, but yes we need to be vigilant. But we need to ensure onfield success as the driver for ongoing and growing $$$ security.

2 Likes

This is the important part for me.

I think @Darli’s interpretation of results is spot on, however I don’t personally place any importance on “growth”.

Call me naive, while I begrudgingly admit the club is a “business”, the growth imperative doesn’t exist the same way it does for a listed company with shareholders expecting growth.

Stability pays for the essentials of putting a winning team on the park.

2 Likes

I’ve heard he doesn’t perform all that well when he takes his glasses off, Darli!!:flushed:

1 Like

Generally if you let go an Officer midway through the year you’d be likely paying out their salary and severance wouldn’t you?

Win a final.

Lol, talk about spin.
You can’t have a problem with match receipts being down whilst simultaneously, just disregarding the increase in membership.

I would have thought 20k more people with m/ships/20k less people required to purchase tickets would be very relevant to match receipts.

7 Likes

Come on now, don’t bring that common sense in here where it’s not welcome. Who are you to try and stop people from feeling their god given right to be outraged.

Um, it was an extra 11.5k members, not an extra 20k - no need to almost double the figures to try to make your argument stick. Also I believe member show rate has an influence on the match receipts figure, for example last year membership rose by a very similar amount of 10k yet match receipts still rose significantly.

Regardless it was a very small part of my overall point.

Only if you fire them and I’m pretty sure this one was a resignation, unless that was also spin. Even if it was spin and he was paid out until the end of the year that shouldn’t have equated to such a rise in that figure, just a hold steady.
As for Neeld - his wage would’ve been counted in the footy department spend not the key staff wages or admin costs. That’ll be part of the reason for the footy department spend was so far up, I reckon it was a pretty decent payout to him. That and women’s footy will be a decent chunk of that rise.

The rubbish performances at the start of the year probably didn’t do us any favours when it came to membership or gate receipts, and I’d assume a fair chunk of the increased wages etc bill would have been sunk into staff for the Academy and the women’s team (tho I suspect that actual players in the women’s team get paid about a buck fifty).

Anyone know what the deal with donations was last year? That seems a huge number (and a huge drop-off this year). Was last year an anomaly of some sort?

2 Likes

At least we aren’t Norf

1 Like

When you add a Women’s team, a Talent Academy and a MuthaTruckin eSports team you have to expect an increase in expenses. I doubt any of them would be bringing in enough cash to offset their expenses, at least not yet.

1 Like

This thread: “I don’t know what the breakdown of these numbers actually mean, but I reserve my right to get upset about them all the same”

4 Likes

How much is this XSports team thing costing us?

Just win a ■■■■■■■ final for ■■■■ sake.

4 Likes

I think perhaps you’ve stumbled upon the crux of my argument. There’s no reason for us not to know exactly what the numbers mean… unless of course they prefer we don’t know.

Would probably have had a hefty severance package attached to it so the savings may not be realised until the next FY if that position has been made redundant.