Terrorist attack, Christchurch NZ

Mars ain’t the kind of place to raise your kids?

4 Likes

Time to hold Tony Danzer closer?

6 Likes

And in the end Nobody Wins?

1 Like

Buddhism teaches we have to unlearn some behaviours in order to become compassionate. I think having lived many lifestyles some good some the opposite, this sort of thing has been going on since the first tribes lived on earth.

What’s different now is we now have weapons that can wipe out a tribe in no time. Guns are huge is the USA. I can remember when I lived over in the group I was studying with several carried hand guns. Pick up your wallet, your car keys and your gun. I was staggered that they thought this was pretty much normal behaviour.

1 Like

Bryant went about trying to kill anyone at Port Arthur at the time.
Tarrant targeted Muslims at their day of prayer at their mosques. Similar to the Pittsburg synagogue attacks.

1 Like

I’m with ya until this line.

Morons like Anning have time and time again taken the low road wherever possible. Trying to hear them out and reason with them ends up with them not only doubling down, but giving profile to their views.

Comedic ridicule is the way forward. Anything to portray them as the third-string cartoon villains they are.

Sure, this won’t change the minds of anyone already indoctrinated. But it’ll strip away their ability to recruit anyone.

2 Likes

I haven’t read all this thread so apologies if this has been posted before, but apparently the shooter kept up a running commentary throughout, and at one point referred to what he was doing as a “firefight”.

For some reason that disgusted me and focussed my contempt more than anything else. He, armed with 5 semi-automatic weapons, massacres unarmed civilians at worship, and has gall to call it a “firefight”.

Makes me sick.

5 Likes

I’ve missed a fair bit of the early reporting on the incident so can anyone tell me - did the others in custody actively take part in the massacre or were they accessories before/after? Tarrant is the only name I’ve heard reported so I wasn’t sure if thats because he was the only active shooter, he’s the only aussie so the focus of reports here or if the other names simply hadn’t been released yet. With so much info available sometimes its the simple facts that are hardest to find.

Think the police are still trying to work out the roles of the other two - including whether they actually had a role. Think they were picked up with a few guns in their car.

Arguably there’s some parallels, but really? Does football inform your world view to that extent?

They had guns and bombs with them, but Tarrant was the active shooter.

1 Like

One of them identified as 18 year old, presumably Kiwi.

The whole neo-nazi shtick is “we are under attack”.

They’re at the border, they’re on illegal boats, it’s an invasion.

He’s just playing into that.

Really it’s cowardly, cold blooded murder.

1 Like

More like a snuff movie.

Completely disagree.
This is how Trump got elected. When you turn someone into a running meme or joke… you give them personality. You give people a reason to vote for them. Whether that be for laughs or for cheap entertainment.

As comedians will often say, the best material they write is when looney Right-wing nuts are in government. This is no different to the internet. It takes a matter of minutes for internet fame.

1 Like
1 Like

Cowardly to the point that the pathetically weak dog doesn’t appear to have taken on anyone that could actually fight back. Writes a bulltish manifesto, craps on in the past-tense as if he’s already died for his cause, then taken into arrest on a roadside, weapons still in the car, still alive, smiling in court.

Utterly pathetic and contemptible, even ignoring his actual murderous atrocity. Hopefully he falls down a set of stairs. Over and over and over again.

1 Like

Trump wasn’t elected on the back of being a running joke. The issue is how many supporters take him seriously

Hopefully they place him with the Mongrel Mob or Black Power.

2 Likes

They do.

But the Democrats were turning him into a running joke. Rather than taking him seriously, they turned him into a joke. Other than his direct opponents, the democrats spent their time making fun of him, rather than acknowledge and confront how dangerous this man is.

You do not turn dangerous people and their ideals into a joke… you make sure people understand how dangerous this situation is.