Terrorist attack, Christchurch NZ

Tarrant misrepresenting himself as an underprivileged working class boy. His mother is a High School English teacher and he has travelled the world for years on an inheritance and money which he claims to have made from Bitcoin investments.
And as for the lone wolf categorisation, two others are in custody with him. If they were African, they would be labelled a gang.
His so called manifesto draws on the propaganda of neo Nazi groups.

4 Likes

Tidy edit

10 Likes

The egging has taken off world wide. Further embarrassment to neo Naxos will most likely further marginalise them. I personally think we need to try and address why these extremist groups are turning to such drastic actions. So we should really hold Rupert culpable for his hateful rhetoric.

2 Likes

Yep #eggboy is the number trending hashtag in the US. I may not legally be Australian but I couldn’t be prouder to be Australian today :slight_smile:

8 Likes

There were “just” 47 murders in all of New Zealand in 2017.

This p o s topped that in 36 minutes.

Its incomprehensible enough here, where we’ve been through similar, so NZ must be absolutely numb.

2 Likes

Heard today
 apparently the kid just wanted Fraser’s help separating the whites

27 Likes

A terrible yolk.

8 Likes

6 Likes

Perhaps a little less self righteous too. These events have a numbing effect on me, I get more out of exploring people’s intellectual reactions than I do out of some pretence to sharing in the enormous grief of those more closely affected. Keeping even a small dialogue like this going is a way of supporting the victims, even if it entails debate.

6 Likes

1996 my memory was it(the reaction to another tragedy and the Australian nutbag) was a reaction a lot more respectful and civilised.

The Internet and its constant peanut gallery has a bit to answer for.

Sometimes I think Elton John was right.

The truth is that everyone on this site is a religious fanatic. The way we worship our footy gods, condemn the non-believers and study the philosophy of phooty is as over-zealous as any bunch of spiritual diehards.

What came first, the racist or the egg?

1 Like

Hope he cops that everyday for the rest of his life.

1 Like

There is video of a pro-Palestinian person attacking Chelsea Clinton at a memorial service for the NZ victims and blaming her for what happened because Chelsea called out Ilhan Omar for some of the anti-semitic comments made.

Nut-jobs on all sides.

3 Likes

I think in that case it’s just general US solipsism.

1 Like

While I agree with you, unfortunately this incident has a lot to do with politics and religion. We can mourn those that died but we should be able to debate what caused this idiot to do what he did.

Accosted might be a better term, as with the Muslim who accosted Anning at the airport.
Could say that both were verbally attacked

There was an article in the Washington Post yesterday that suggested it was the internet that basically radicalised the crew who committed the murders.

I agree with Adam Hills on this one.

I admire the courage of the young man, but this is not the time to be making petty statements
 to give amunition and the ‘victim card’ to these fascists.

If Anning was Egged last weekend, I would have laughed and applauded
 but the stakes have changed. The rise of ‘the Right’ is a serious threat.

It’s now become confrontational, and it’s now become physical
 I fear there will be a rise in physical violence because of this.

Anning is a c*nt who should be in prison for demonstrating in nazi rallies. But we must do this by the book and with intellect. Not with cheap gags.

8 Likes