Terrorist attack, Christchurch NZ

Fark. Just got a call from my Dad.
That is their local.
One of the injured is a friend of my step-mother, who was doing shopping for them.

Fingers crossed for them.

She is not critical thankfully, but all are v shaken up

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Hope sheā€™s not too badly hurt.

2 Likes

Hand injury from fending him off.
She would be in her '80s.

Thank goodness.

3 Likes

According to NZ media, This guy was arrested for planning an attack, spent time in prison and has been monitored by authorities since his release.

Lots of details are hidden under court orders.

On 24/7 surveillance.
They were watching him at the supermarket & shot him within 60 seconds.
Suicide by police. And ruin as many lives as you can in the process.

2 Likes

Something about migration according to currents in the Indian Ocean, there are also practising Muslims in southern parts of Thailand as well as in Malaysia, Phillipines and Indonesia.
** And then thereā€™s the spice trade

1 Like

The reality is that there are significant populations of Muslims in most countries.

Thatā€™s not the problem. Itā€™s the fundamentalist outlook subsets of any ideology that create the problems.

4 Likes

So itā€™s reads like the NZ High Court ruled that making preparations for a terrorist attack didnā€™t fall under NZā€™s Anti Terrorism Laws.

Reckon thereā€™ll be some acrimony over thatā€¦

Thankfully this lunatic only had access to a knife.

Agree 100%.

However, some are much much worse than others.

Just to clarify, my comments had nothing to do with extremism, it was merely that I wasnā€™t aware of Islam in Sri Lanka.

Extremism in all of society seems to be getting more violent.

3 Likes

Pity the police killed him. A more fitting ending for the attacker would have been to be boiled alive in pig fat.

Not quite. The law did not permit him to be kept in prison, but allowed for very close surveillance since he was released in 2016.
The questioning was whether the law should be further legislated to provide for more or less indefinite detentionā€¦( we have some here in regard to threats to the community - Julian Knight of Hoddle Street is an example, there may be some at Federal level re terrorism convictions):
In response to Qs whether he should have been deported at the end of his sentence, Ardern professed to be unaware whether he had citizenship,
Australiaā€™s general rule is that a custodial sentence of 12 months or more for a non citizen could mean deportation (Dutton taking out the trash). There have been issues between Australia and NZ with Australia deporting Kiwis who have lived here since infancy .

There is another issue of radicalisation when a religious minority group is discriminated against - as in Phillipines and Thailand .
IDK about Sri Lanka

Malaysia and Indonesia are predominantly Muslim

Did I say it wasnā€™t?

I misread. I thought it read as though there are some muslims in Malaysia

Just to note that Muslim is the State religion of Malaysia according to its Consitution, with other religions allowed to practise.
Indonesia is 58% Muslim, most religions, including Muslim, permitted by the Constitution to practise without discrimination . Aceh province is the outlier where it is permitted to apply Sharia law.