Tesla just changed everything

150 year life? :o if they had a battery that good, no one in the world would sell another battery.

What warranty will they actually offer?

You should read up a little about Elon Musk, i reckon. He’s a whacky, crazy, half-genius half-crusader billionaire.

He is kind of a real life Tony Stark without the iron man suit

1 Like

He’s the paypal guy right?

Not doubting he’s anything short of a brilliant marketer and having decent capital behind it is going to be key to getting any momentum away from the existing power companies buuuuuuuuutttt I’ve still got lots of ‘buts’ about him and the actual real world implementation. Last year I heard Tesla would have

When the world moves away from fossil fuels it’s going to be - in part - because the existing power companies are going to make a buck out of it.

Cue legislation banning urban properties from disconnecting from the grid?

Won’t SOMEBODY think of the struggling coal burners?

This is the main reason why I think this might actually work, you are right, some governments, a lot of coal drenched media, and right wing commentators will go out of their way to smear the concept.

But,

Tesla is a brand that has a hell of a lot of gravitas in the world right now, thanks to their cars being soo much better than any other EV they have instantly developed their brand as a status symbol. Musk is a revealed person for all the right reasons, so this will help get over the initial uptake restrictions, some people will fight through all the red tape just to have the shiny new thing from the cool guys company. His brand has a similar cache to Apple as hap has illustrated. The result is people will come because of that,.

Then it’s going to come down to if it works, and if it does. Then that’s it. Game changer.

He's the paypal guy right?

Not doubting he’s anything short of a brilliant marketer and having decent capital behind it is going to be key to getting any momentum away from the existing power companies buuuuuuuuutttt I’ve still got lots of ‘buts’ about him and the actual real world implementation. Last year I heard Tesla would have

When the world moves away from fossil fuels it’s going to be - in part - because the existing power companies are going to make a buck out of it.

Yes he is the PayPal guy, He is no marketer, the guy isn’t even comfortable talking to people, he is just a giant nerd. Watch the keynote HAP.

People think he is like Jobs, but a more accurate comparison is he is like Wozniak and Paul Allen

When he sold PayPal to EBay, he took the money to go off and build rocketships, people thought he was mad, but SpaceX is the first private company to Launch orbit and recover a space vehicle. Now are working in going to Mars. He also developed some liquid reuable rocket fuel that ESA are using now.

He is a fascinating guy, the biggest problem with science, R&D is funding, dude has not got that problem.

Co-founds PayPal
Begins the words first serious effort towards a mass market EV
Has his own space flight program
As mentioned, is basically the real life Tony Stark

“The PayPal guy”

Seriously.

150 year life? :o if they had a battery that good, no one in the world would sell another battery.

What warranty will they actually offer?

What are you doing in here in the Tesla lid off thread? You should be posting over in the Tesla lid on thread.

My understanding is that you’re not allowed to have batteries and utility power on the same system. @saladin can probably clarify. I believe this is listed for safety reasons, but while power buyback remains I can see why it’s politically unlikely to be allowed regardless.

You can have redundant systems in the one dwelling, but there has to be physical separation, and most of the public will think that is too much work. Besides, as long as you’re liable for the dreaded service fee, you haven’t “escaped”. They’re not going to give you a discount because you only hit the grid 10% of the time.

(I am not a lawyer; I could be taking rubbish.)

I was going to put this in the pool room, but this is seriously news, great news

Essentially it’s a battery for your house, business, city.

Hook it up to solar panels and go off grid. $3000

BANG! … what have you got to say now Mr Demitriou?

My understanding is that you're not allowed to have batteries and utility power on the same system. @saladin can probably clarify. I believe this is listed for safety reasons, but while power buyback remains I can see why it's politically unlikely to be allowed regardless.

My understanding is if you ever want to use grid power you have to be connected at all times. So that’s why already with the rise of solar power, it’s not tariff’s that are going up it’s connection fee. The energy companies still want their cut even if you’re only connected ‘just in case’.

There’s an argument to be made for that of course, if everyone has solar/batteries they still have to maintain an entire network on the off chance you need more power or the sun’s been gone for too long.

Just want to point something out -

Steve Jobs and Elon Musk have almost nothing in common. Aside from both being visionary in their own ways. Jobs was purely into building a profitable business. All about the ‘perfect company’. Tapping into what people wanted and were willing to pay for. Hardly philanthropic at all. Not interested in developing the world, rather in developing markets. And I have discussed it with him, so I know.

Musk is a very different animal, despite the occasional cross-reference (made primarily because they are both American mover/shakers and not much else) with a rather altruistic bent. Granted, it’s a little easier to be altruistic when you are so wealthy. But I think Musk sees wealth as a means to an end, whereas Jobs kinda stopped at the ‘wealth’ bit.

Fark yeah!

could change the world in a very short space of time

Yes he is the PayPal guy, He is no marketer, the guy isn’t even comfortable talking to people, he is just a giant nerd. Watch the keynote HAP.

People think he is like Jobs, but a more accurate comparison is he is like Wozniak and Paul Allen

When he sold PayPal to EBay, he took the money to go off and build rocketships, people thought he was mad, but SpaceX is the first private company to Launch orbit and recover a space vehicle. Now are working in going to Mars. He also developed some liquid reuable rocket fuel that ESA are using now.

He is a fascinating guy, the biggest problem with science, R&D is funding, dude has not got that problem.

Through iEEE (and other engineering professional bodies) I've heard presentations from a few people involved with various green power tech (a guy who's involved in the RMIT solar car challenge, a guy who started a company doing the big parabolic mirror arrays, and someone who was involved in one of the steam generator arrangements): you reckon this bloke's a nerd...

He is clearly at least half decent at his marketing - getting people excited & talking about the stuff he’s selling. The keynote address in front of fans is certainly taking a cue from Apple as are the big swanky shop fronts in shoping centres. Neither are something any other car (or phone) manufacturer has done. So I definitely see some parallels in his marketing, and why wouldn’t you. This is not a derogatory thing either, it’s good that someone with serious $$$ is getting into renewables and it’s great that it’s someone who’s got a clue at marketing.

Fair enough, it’s not Elon pushing that though, it’s his marketing guys

I think this is fantastic, love it.

On a slightly related note.

Where are the solar panels for the TVSC?

I find it amazing, we have a huge roof, the obvious sponsor. It is even call True Value Solar Centre, and yet no solar.

Is there a reason?

A very large array of panels is confirmed as coming, from said sponsor. Bit slow though.

Very excited by this. Great news for renewable energy. Although i expect some resistance from those that make the money from fossil fuel consumption and their government puppets so that any widespread release is delayed as long as humanly possible…

I think this is fantastic, love it.

On a slightly related note.

Where are the solar panels for the TVSC?

I find it amazing, we have a huge roof, the obvious sponsor. It is even call True Value Solar Centre, and yet no solar.

Is there a reason?

Cobbler’s children.

I am currently looking at a 5L V8 car. Now I can feel a little bit warm and fuzzy about offsetting that by going off the grid. Though if the tesla cars were cheaper I reckon is get one.

Yep seems like the real deal, but don't hang your hat on it costing $3000 here.

I am told that hooking up a 7 kWh system to our existing solar panels, and making all the mods that are needed will cost about A$15,000, and a 10 kWH unit for my office about $25,000.

Though it could cheaper when China starts making them.

The question for the future will be can we afford to do it, or not to do it !

That’s the best thing about it being Tesla built, and why them having a couple of dinky little dealers in Sydney and Melbourne.

Go to their website and download the press pack. They seem to think a 5kwh system is manageable, they are going for $2500. This pack is expected to cost around 3500 here. But the best bit my friend. They have already opened the patent up. Anyone can build them, he said in an interview on mashable, “I don’t need money, I’ve got billions, I want to save the world, and to do that more than just us have to make them”

I had a ride in one of his cars. Nice looking jobs, weigh 3 tonne and are very comfy inside. The driver put his foot down and I felt like I had a rocket strapped to my bum, apparently does 0 to 100 quicker than anyone.

But it was so quiet it was weird, no engine noise at all and little road noise. Only $120,000, it is on my list !