Tesla just changed everything

That’s unreal.

If only we could have politicians with the foresight and enthusiasm to change the status quo.

its pretty inspiring

Musk is way too progressive for politics. Their hands and arses are tied to the old industries who’ve effectively bought them and collide to keep progressive politics well away from their businesses.

He’s right where he needs to be. Changing the game from within. Once it takes off we will see more and more people throwing their investment into it. I’m not certain it will be as massive as some think it will. I hope it is. But, Elon Musk may just go down as the benevolent marketing genius of the 21st century.

That's unreal.

If only we could have politicians with the foresight and enthusiasm to change the status quo.

That would take an overhaul of our political system. And the people to do that would be…politicians. Stalemate.

That's unreal.

That would take an overhaul of our political system. And the people to do that would be…politicians. Stalemate.

It’ll change though. If industries rise and fall the political parties tied to the losers will fade with them. It’s not necessarily good news though. As insidious as the establishment is they are still established and keep things kind of stable (and funnel everything into the “elite” end of society as time goes on). This could be a fairly quick upheaval and make thing pretty unstable. The world is so ripe for it right now too.

Then again, so long as the financial players make the transition that really will be check mate for conservative politics as we know it right now.

Then again, so long as the financial players make the transition that really will be check mate for conservative politics as we know it right now.

My personal opinion has long been that the only way out for us is via benevolent billionaires.

I think just genius of the 21st century is pretty accurate

On the (Rn) radio today there was a series of interviews today about the downstream affects of automation in our society, of which Tesla could play a huge part.

They touched on the concept of Universal Base (Basic) Income. This is where EVERYONE gets paid an amount roughly equivalent to the poverty line. I think one of Scandinavian countries just had a referendum in this.

Just seems it could be the flow on effect of automated lives and how we will adapt to it.

Switzerland had the referendum; it got maybe a third approval.

My personal opinion has long been that the only way out for us is via benevolent billionaires.

He’s the only one so far. Branson is too self interested to make that cut. I think if you can challenge and win against the fossil fuel giants, who are ripe for the plucking at this late juncture then it’s the worst of it sewn up. The money has to follow the market which will influence the politics. Just unsure about the political and economic stability of it all.

The other thing is, “benevolent billionaire” is almost a contradiction in terms. To get to that point it would have to take a heck of a lot of self interest purely from the perspective of gaining wealth for the sake of gaining wealth. Musk is an outlier to the extreme. The guy may be the biggest narcissist out there and it’s all about beating the establishment but his agenda is what’s important for everyone else.

The other thing is, "benevolent billionaire" is almost a contradiction in terms. To get to that point it would have to take a heck of a lot of self interest purely from the perspective of gaining wealth for the sake of gaining wealth. Musk is an outlier to the extreme. The guy may be the biggest narcissist out there and it's all about beating the establishment but his agenda is what's important for everyone else.

There are a few things that can replace the cut-throat traits. Genius and hereditary are a couple. Also, people do change, and although it is rare that kind of power and influence can change people for the better instead of worse. Look at Gates. Bezos is interesting… I wonder where that’s going. It only takes a few to get things rolling.

I’m looking to Gina. She’ll save us.

The other thing is, "benevolent billionaire" is almost a contradiction in terms. To get to that point it would have to take a heck of a lot of self interest purely from the perspective of gaining wealth for the sake of gaining wealth. Musk is an outlier to the extreme. The guy may be the biggest narcissist out there and it's all about beating the establishment but his agenda is what's important for everyone else.

There are a few things that can replace the cut-throat traits. Genius and hereditary are a couple. Also, people do change, and although it is rare that kind of power and influence can change people for the better instead of worse. Look at Gates. Bezos is interesting… I wonder where that’s going. It only takes a few to get things rolling.

I’m hoping he goes further into media ownership. The world needs an anti-Murdoch.

I love what Elon is doing but buying into Solar City looks like a poor business decision.

I have been tracking Solar City for a few years with the view to buying heaps and making a fortune on it. After all this time I still don’t see a decent investment opportunity, in fact it looks like a bust.

The share price doesn’t go up because the price of solar keeps going down and margins get smaller; money invested in the company becomes eroded by new competitors looking to cash in on the new market and any money spent on capital investment is only worth 50% a year later and becomes less sellable over time as in the ■■■■ Smith scenario.

I think Musk is foolish to buy into Solar City because it will waste his capital base and should instead save the money and put it where he profits the most. The Solar Citys of this world will be many and Musk should use them as a service rather than invest in them. He should focus on what he does best.

I love what Elon is doing but buying into Solar City looks like a poor business decision.

I have been tracking Solar City for a few years with the view to buying heaps and making a fortune on it. After all this time I still don’t see a decent investment opportunity, in fact it looks like a bust.

The share price doesn’t go up because the price of solar keeps going down and margins get smaller; money invested in the company becomes eroded by new competitors looking to cash in on the new market and any money spent on capital investment is only worth 50% a year later and becomes less sellable over time as in the ■■■■ Smith scenario.

I think Musk is foolish to buy into Solar City because it will waste his capital base and should instead save the money and put it where he profits the most. The Solar Citys of this world will be many and Musk should use them as a service rather than invest in them. He should focus on what he does best.

He already ‘owns’ Solar City in a way - he is the largest shareholder.

He would have bought into it for the technology and IP, not purely for investment purposes.

He is playing the very long game, not the investment game.

He would have bought into it for the technology and IP, not purely for investment purposes.

Good point.