Tesla just changed everything

I basically expect Tesla to go bankrupt at some point. The car industry is simply so competitive, it is hard to make an enduring profit.

I am trying to work out what their competitive advantage will be, to avoid this fate:

• It certainly isn’t in the vehicle body, nothing new there.
  • Battery manufacturing? Maybe that is what they will rely on, scale capture of a battery making margin. I can see first mover advantage, but not confident you can beat the Chinese in manufacturing these days.
  • Automation technology? Again first mover, but the other car companies are trying now as well, as is Uber aren’t they?

I think Tesla will have stimulated change, but not confident that they be a financial survivor in the upcoming fight…I’m interested in any thoughts.

I basically expect Tesla to go bankrupt at some point. The car industry is simply so competitive, it is hard to make an enduring profit.

I am trying to work out what their competitive advantage will be, to avoid this fate:

• Battery manufacturing? Maybe that is what they will rely on, scale capture of a battery making margin. I can see first mover advantage, but not confident you can beat the Chinese in manufacturing these days.
  • Automation technology? Again first mover, but the other car companies are trying now as well, as is Uber aren’t they?

I think Tesla will have stimulated change, but not confident that they be a financial survivor in the upcoming fight…I’m interested in any thoughts.

Even if they do go bust (which I don’t think they will) they are pushing the car companies to invest a bit more in research and development. All majors have auto drive technology. The recent CES in Vegas had them all there showing off their tech.

With regards to batteries i’m not sure there are that many batteries being produced in China but more in Vietnam or Thailand or a country like this.

Apple stimulated massive change on a number of fronts - GUI, mouse, smartphones, tablets.

No sign of them going bust yet, despite Murdoch’s naysayers.

In a sense Musk may not care if they go broke, as long as he’s changed the industry first. They’re not hoarding their patents.

In a sense Musk may not care if they go broke, as long as he's changed the industry first. They're not hoarding their patents.

He’ll sell at a profit at some stage, and focus on the next thing.

Plus I think the power wall roof side of the business might go gang busters

Musk has a lot of really good ideas and his companies and scientists are working on them. Tesla cars are not the only idea; he will make billions out of other related clever ideas like his roof tiles https://www.tesla.com/solar

Solar Panels and the power wall are such great inventions on a small scale.
Mind you if Power companies weren’t so greedy and calculated power use on energy in less energy out, then pay their rate for the left over amount that went back into the grid/ or used from the grid for the quarter then we wouldn’t need power walls.

Power companies need to change, same with fossil fuel companies.
How awesome would it be to have a solar car. sitting in the driveway, sending excess energy back into the house/Grid. And even better if the solar car is chaper than a petrol/diesel car.

Tesla battery boss: We can solve SA’s power woes in 100 days

Read more: http://www.afr.com/news/tesla-battery-boss-we-can-solve-sas-power-woes-in-100-days-20170308-gut8xh#ixzz4axQyD7sL
by Ben Potter

The head of Tesla’s battery division says the company could solve South Australia’s power woes within 100 days of being asked thanks to the stepped up production out of its new Gigafactory in Nevada.
Lyndon Rive, Tesla’s vice-president for energy products, said he would “commit” to installing the 100-300 megawatt hours of batteries required to prevent the blackouts South Australia has been experiencing with increasing frequency within 100 days in a contract.
“We don’t have 300MWh sitting there ready to go but I’ll make sure there are,” Mr Rive said.
He said the company could do the same in Victoria, where the closure of the 1600MW Hazelwood coal plant later this month is raising fears of more frequent blackouts across the eastern states electricity market next summer, following a near blackout in NSW on February 10.

3 Likes

All major online outlets covering this story. No idea about paper though. Typical themes in the comments. General interest and some negative in most sections. Any News Ltd. outlet: It’s just a far fetched fantasy, It’s just marketing (possible). We will have the world’s biggest Li-on fire. Musk just wants someone else to finance a massive white elephant with his fake magic batteries. It’s be hugely expensive when we should just be building cheap coal plants. No wonder it’s so difficult to get genuine progress here. There’s a hoard of naysayers waiting to shoot everything down.

3 Likes

Always been the way with any revolution.

I for one will be buying a power wall, it is not lost on me the fact that, with my 5 kW of solar panels, I generated 3x as much electricity than I used during my last billing cycle and I still had to pay the power company over $200 for the privilege of being a net power producer. To add insult to injury the farkers will charge some poor barstards extra for using the “green power” I sold to them for 5c a kWh.

Fark 'em. All the ■■■■■■ want to do is make billions farking over the planet and the proletariat.

4 Likes

Have you looked into disconnecting and going off grid?

Keyboard peanuts

1 Like

Can’t go offgrid with the powerwall 2.

Don’t forget it goes up in July to 11.x cents!

1 Like
3 Likes

Get the ■■■■ out of town! This might actually be happening?

1 Like

Really? Didn’t know that. Do you reckon it will get your bills to effectively nothing?

Bernardi to declare that solar power causes paedophilia.

4 Likes

Well, they don’t call him “Lead the way Jay” for nothing … yet, … but they will if he get’s this to happen.