Tesla just changed everything

Avocado Wolfe reckons solar drains the sun. LNP better get him out here in some kind of expert capacity.

If Weatherill gets this done it is going to make the LNP look like a 1800s relic of a political party. Oh, wait…

2 Likes

I would be interested, but the asking price is massive. If there was a payment plan, it would be the way to go.

1 Like

Yes, a payment plan makes a lot of sense, especially so with the payments being offset by reduced power costs which should at least cover the interest.

That was my first thought but solar power generating capacity drops off in winter, particularly when cloudy.

Staying connected makes sense to me to save needing a petrol generator back up, and excess power production during the day, hopefully even with battery storage at least on sunny days, could cover the set power connection fees. That’s my theory anyway. Hope to find out next winter.

2 Likes

A significant improvement, but not nothing for me.

They still charge you about 3 times that amount, so it is really worth storing it and using it yourself. Especially over time.

Depends how much you export. In VIC on a flat plan you pay to import electricity at about 27c per k/w. So you need to export 3 to 1 essentially to cover any usage not picked up from your panels + about 9kw exported to cover the daily fee of $1.

As a general note, a battery doubles the pay off period of solar. From about 8 years to 16+. Right now it’s more economical to go bigger solar (so 5kw instead of 3kw for example) rather than the battery.

3 Likes

Actually Soulnet have you included the savings if your battery storage allows you to go off the grid.

We have not done it yet, but it cuts payback considerably. We have installed the panels and battery and now will get a small wind turbine, if the farking Council gives us a permit.

My raw sums are rhat for spending about $30,000, it is a six year payback at current prices. Have not allowed though for any maintenance or breakdown costs.

Does the Soulnet system allow you to recharge off the mains at night (offpeak) as 5Kw panels are insufficient in bad weather conditions or periods of high demand?

30k in six years? You got 5k bills per annum?

Anyway a read for you and how to do your calculations.

I have no batteries. Not sure where you got that from.

Definitely a good move if so.

My question was aimed at Baccusfox

Cc[quote=“Soulnet, post:431, topic:2380”]
Is
[/quote]

Actually our bills are higher than that. Have not done the home yet but they are about $4000 per year.

I will read the sites you suggested thanks

1 Like

An indoor horticulturalist?

Getting off the grid would indeed be a good idea, power consumption can raise suspicion.

Worth reading.

Also worth reading, refers only to the Powerwall.

In comparison, the Tesla Powerwall is a 6.4 kilowatt-hour battery and only 5.44 kilowatt-hours of that is actually warranted to be usable. But after the first 2 years that drops to 4.6 kilowatt-hours. And 3 years later it drops down to only 3.8 kilowatt-hours of warranted storage. So after 5 years it would take 3 Tesla Powerwalls to have the same warranted energy capacity as the ZCell.

It’s a good site to read right?

The interesting thing was the incredible rate of decay in the Powerwall, financially it makes it completely unviable.

I need a battery that can be recharged from the off-peak mains supply. If I charge the battery from the solar system I lose 60cents/KwH in rebate only to use it off-peak at 22cents Kw/H. Much better to charge at 22c and use it during t h e 27c peak hours and minimising to use of solar.

With a 5Kw system that only averages10.1Kw daily with a max. of 21.8Kw and a min. Of 0.32Kw and an average daily use of 15.4Kw peaking at 52.9Kw in summer you can see how big a battery is needed.

Some of the posters on here assume that the output of a solar systemis nameplate times hours of sunshine when in fact you are lucky to get 17%.

Point in fact, Windorah Solar Farm has 5 x 14 metre dia. solar collectors costing $4,500,000 that produced 100,000Kw in the course of one year at one of the sunniest locations in Australia serving a population of 100 people. It uses diesel generator backup and for 2 months of the year it is useless.
Opened in 2007 it now has 4 collectors unservicable.

1 Like